JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
May 23, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #10,141 of 10,743
Freqphase is just corrections via tube length, at least that's my understanding. If a resheller measures carefully, they should be able to maintain it.

I've read Phil with Cosmic Ears is confident in reshelling them. And I wonder if Peter of Custom Art could reshell them in silicone. That would be awesome.

That is my understanding as well - tube length, tube diameter and filter placement. If you look at JH 13/16 from before the FreqPhase implementation, you will see the High Frequency BA mounted extremely close to the canal opening - almost at the end - with FP, the HF BA is much further back in the assembly. (My V8 has almost the same location - further back in the headphone)

May 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #10,142 of 10,743
A moment ago, Piotr from Customart has told me they can do it. I thought Unique Melody was best company for reshell them, but now I don´t know what to do, because I´m from inside Europe and companies like CustonArt and Cosmics Ears which are placed inside EU maybe are better for me. What do you recommend?

May 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #10,143 of 10,743
A moment ago, Piotr from Customart has told me they can do it. I thought Unique Melody was best company for reshell them, but now I don´t know what to do, because I´m from inside Europe and companies like CustonArt and Cosmics Ears which are placed inside EU maybe are better for me. What do you recommend?

I've had experience with UM and Custom Art. Haven't bought any Cosmic Ears but reading Phil's posts, he definitely knows his stuff. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

The benefit of UM is probably cosmetic options; Cosmic Ears for their new awesome cable connector option; Custom Art for silicone with removable cables and other custom options. If it were me, I'd probably go with Custom Art. I'd love a JH13 type sig in the comfort of silicone. Plus Piotr's customer service is excellent.

May 24, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #10,145 of 10,743
Has anyone ever heard TOTL loud speakers? I have been told repeatedly that loud speakers are where it's at if you want no compromise sound. Call it apples & oranges if you want, but are there any advantages of an IEM (using BAs) over loudspeakers purely from a sound standpoint?

One particular member whom I PM'ed said JH13 cannot compare in resolution with HD800, likewise HD800 cannot compare in clarity with Bang & Olufsen speakers. Plus any people claiming soundstage in IEMs are talking complete bs. Apparently loud speakers are the closest one can get to the real thing. Thoughts?

May 24, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #10,147 of 10,743
This is a huge, rather open ended question, at the heart of this forum. Here's a few thoughts from me.
Loudspeakers are obviously going to give the most lifelike performance IF set up properly. The "best" speakers in the world are going to perform badly if the acoustics of the room are not ideal. If that is attended to then you cannot beat air being moved in a room.
Your neighbors may disagree however!
Regarding the difference between full size and IEM. Having the speakers outside of your ear and therefore involving the outer ear must help to give a more out of the head sound.
I doubt if anyone wears their HD800's on public transport!
IEM's putting the sound directly into the ear canal also has advantages though. Creating immediacy and impact.
Both of the headphone options shut the world out. I would suggest that IEM's do this even more  but that may be psychological.
So, the physical considerations of all three options can be very relevant to a given scenario.
Sound wise YMMV. 

May 24, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #10,148 of 10,743
  This is a huge, rather open ended question, at the heart of this forum. Here's a few thoughts from me.
Loudspeakers are obviously going to give the most lifelike performance IF set up properly. The "best" speakers in the world are going to perform badly if the acoustics of the room are not ideal. If that is attended to then you cannot beat air being moved in a room.
Regarding the difference between full size and IEM. Having the speakers outside of your ear and therefore involving the outer ear must help to give a more out of the head sound.
IEM's putting the sound directly into the ear canal also has advantages though. Creating immediacy and impact.
Both of the headphone options shut the world out. I would suggest that IEM's do this even more  but that may be psychological.
So, the physical considerations of all three options can be very relevant to a given scenario.
Sound wise YMMV. 

Agree IEMs are fantastics, i love my EM3pro
ksc75smile.gif

But i've tried to record and compare directly real sounds... IEMs are not true at all.
They give sound pleasure... not reality.

May 24, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #10,149 of 10,743
Actually, I came back to edit my post and suggest that the OP should perhaps start a new thread. Or look at the many posts on this topic already on this forum. It is too huge a question to address within this thread IMHO.

May 24, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #10,150 of 10,743
Sound wise YMMV. 

I am not concerned with practical advantages, I am just interested sonically. To my knowledge loud speakers best IEMs in every aspect in terms of accuracy, whether it be soundstage, detail or transparency. I am not asking which is better, I just want to be aware of the differences and what areas (if any) IEMs have an advantage over speakers.

I assumed that because they are more sensitive that they would reveal more detail however apparently this is not the case. To summarise, what sound advantages do IEMs have over headphones & loudspeakers?

May 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #10,151 of 10,743
Has anyone ever heard TOTL loud speakers? I have been told repeatedly that loud speakers are where it's at if you want no compromise sound. Call it apples & oranges if you want, but are there any advantages of an IEM (using BAs) over loudspeakers purely from a sound standpoint?

One particular member whom I PM'ed said JH13 cannot compare in resolution with HD800, likewise HD800 cannot compare in clarity with Bang & Olufsen speakers. Plus any people claiming soundstage in IEMs are talking complete bs. Apparently loud speakers are the closest one can get to the real thing. Thoughts?

IMO, this is basically true.  It's not so much resolution and clarity as it is the dynamics and depth of sound you can achieve with larger, higher end drivers in nicer full sized speakers.  Perception of sound stage increases as the source of sound moves farther from your ears, not to mention the direction from which the source of sound arrives.  You often hear headphones being complimented by saying "sounds as close to full sized speakers as I've heard".  It is kind of shocking to walk into a high end audio shop and hear the realism of a $50,000+ system.  You definitely pay the price in $$$, however!

May 24, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #10,152 of 10,743
  IMO, this is basically true.  It's not so much resolution and clarity as it is the dynamics and depth of sound you can achieve with larger, higher end drivers in nicer full sized speakers.  Perception of sound stage increases as the source of sound moves farther from your ears, not to mention the direction from which the source of sound arrives.  You often hear headphones being complimented by saying "sounds as close to full sized speakers as I've heard".  It is kind of shocking to walk into a high end audio shop and hear the realism of a $50,000+ system.  You definitely pay the price in $$$, however!

the realism don't exist in stereo all is pure illusion.
We try to make an illusion come true !

May 24, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #10,153 of 10,743
  the realism don't exist in stereo all is pure illusion.
We try to make an illusion come true !

True.  It's all an effort to mimic a live performance.  Some systems come closer than others!

May 24, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #10,154 of 10,743

Just searched up 'worlds best speakers' for laughs. I was shocked to say the least when I found out $1000 earphones existed, even more so when I looked up the price for KEF Muon, but this? http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.php

I get the feeling they truly are taking it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back