I've gone and tested several recommended headphones, and I am appalled. Looking for headphones that LAST, while delivering sound for under 300.
Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #16 of 44
Quote:
Open or semi-open headphones simply sound better. You're going to be limiting yourself to lower performers of any price range if you keep wanting to have your computer's fan silenced when you put the headphones on, instead of just letting the music slightly overpower it. Or hey, just put in a smooth ball-bearing 120mm fan for your computer and it won't be loud anymore either.

That's certainly up for debate. Just as some people prefer the Sennheiser sound, some people prefer closed headphones. The Denon D2000 might fit your wants.

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:
You could wait for the upcoming V-MODA M-100. Supposed to go head to head with a lot of top o the line cans.

This would be a good choice. V-MODAs other headphones are tanks and sound good but I wouldn't know if they would be your cup of tea. They play all music fairly well but excel at electronic music like trance and whatnot. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #18 of 44
OP already tried those, didn't like their build or isolation.
Quote:

That's certainly up for debate. Just as some people prefer the Sennheiser sound, some people prefer closed headphones. The Denon D2000 might fit your wants.

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #19 of 44
To those of you who recommended the V moda M100, I owe you everything.

I've been wanting the V-Moda Crossfades for a while now but all the reviews say the sound quality is garbage. And while the M80 exists, I don't want on-ear cans. The m100.. my god it's perfect, IF it lives up to it's hype. 

Thank you again for making me aware that this can is in development. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #20 of 44
I'll mention it one last time, DT1350. Audition it before buying in the knowledge it's a whole lot of headphone in a small shape with very good isolation. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #21 of 44
AKG k550 is very well built , isolates well and sounds great (some say they find the treble a bit much but it seemed fine to me).
Also the ATH-ES55 is a very good portable with good isolation.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:
I'll mention it one last time, DT1350. Audition it before buying in the knowledge it's a whole lot of headphone in a small shape with very good isolation. 

The OP stated "around the ear" which suggests circumaural, rather than supraaural, which the DT1350s are. They are great headphones, and I am a fan, but doesn't seem to fit the OP's criteria. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #24 of 44
So what? People who complain over 'bad sounding' dynamic headphones should just try the small Beyerdynamic. Even if the OP prefers around the ears he/she should just audition it and hopefully learn that there are very few good really good sounding headphones in the sub-100-Dollars realm. Even if you pay a bit more you have to be picky depending on your preferences. 

Get a PX200 II or Koss Portapro and call it a day. Better headphones come at a price 
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #26 of 44
This would be a good choice. V-MODAs other headphones are tanks and sound good but I wouldn't know if they would be your cup of tea. They play all music fairly well but excel at electronic music like trance and whatnot. 

I find my M-80s great for rock as well as electronic, so I gather the M-100 will be just as well-rounded.

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #27 of 44
Akg550 is very big. D2000 is not made of flimsy materials btw, the only thing flimsy about them is the infamous screw that attaches yoke to headband. You also thought the m50 had bad build quality, and it's built like a tank, so I think you're expecting too much.

Build qualit, isolation, around ear but small, under 300, sounds like you want a beyer dt770 80ohm.

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #28 of 44
Circumaural preference notwithstanding, I would suggest giving HD25-1 with velour a try out. I'd say it meets all the key points to a decent standard given the inevitable trade offs in the OP's requirement list.

Best

James

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:
Circumaural preference notwithstanding, I would suggest giving HD25-1 with velour a try out. I'd say it meets all the key points to a decent standard given the inevitable trade offs in the OP's requirement list.

Best

James

I've thought about it, but it seems plastic headphones kill him, so maybe the upcoming M-100 is the only viable option for him.

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #30 of 44
Quote:
Akg550 is very big.

I love mine, but I have to agree.  If the D2000 is as big as the OP would go, the K550 is a poor recommendation as the circumference of the pads is even larger. (from memory... it's been a while since I've heard the D2K)  With a little customization, however, they're extremely comfortable and seem to tick the rest of the requirements listed in the original post quite handily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back