Is Head-Fi Witnessing The Rise Of Two New Kings
Jun 23, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #211 of 425

Quote:
Anyway, I chose the HD800 in the end but consider myself an Ortho fan.  Looking forward to an LCD3 if it materializes.

Agreed -- I picked the HD800 too.  I wasn't blown away by either the LCD-2 or the HE-6, but there were some aspects of the LCD-2 that I found very impressive (in particular, the mids and the level of detail).  If the LCD-3 (or whatever it might be called) "fixes" what I didn't like about the bass of the LCD-2, and makes the headphones a bit lighter and more comfortable, I'd definitely give it a try.

Jun 23, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #212 of 425

Quote:
This thread seems to be headed in the wrong but expected direction.

Anyway, I chose the HD800 in the end but consider myself an Ortho fan.  Looking forward to an LCD3 if it materializes.  I'd like to hear the HE500 but reports of the HE6 being the 'better' phone don't encourage me.

biggrin.gif

More fun that way!  Of courSe my previouS declarationS was IMO and everyone haS different HRTFSS etc blah blah. 
L3000.gif

PeaCe.

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #213 of 425
Interestingly enough, a lot of these threads become LCD-2 vs. HD-800, etc. etc.  I decided to buy some HD-800s, just arrived today.  I'll give them some time to burn in and give them a listen.

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #214 of 425

Quote:
Interestingly enough, a lot of these threads become LCD-2 vs. HD-800, etc. etc.  I decided to buy some HD-800s, just arrived today.  I'll give them some time to burn in and give them a listen.

Oooo.....Leben, Peak and WA5.  Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #215 of 425

Quote:
Thought I read something about serial numbers +4k to be the 'new' version according to some. But I think I also read about people very recently buying new T1's, finding them a bit hot on treble. (offcourse it's subjective and relative)

Alghazanth, you're experiencing hot treble also don't you? What's your T1's serial number? And what's your s.n. USG?

My SS# is 45XX.  My first ones were 17XX.  The thing is that both versions seem to exist at the same time.  MacedonianH had earlier ones than mine and he reported that his were warm sounding.  I couldn't believe he was describing the same headphones I was listening to.

There's no doubt that my first T-1s  were overly bright and nothing like MH's descriptions, but my second pair are really nice and not bright at all.  They sound like 650s without any veil and with a much improved less dominant bass.

I think the change around 4K was for the headband.

Quote:
Odd about the T1...I always regarded this can to be amongst the LCD2, HD650 and even K701 in treble power, ie very neutral.  I found the D7000s and HD800s very unnaturally piercing in treble.  The HF2s are nice bright to me, don't know how they are called dark by many, the K701 is warmer through the mids and darker in treble than the HF2.

Perhaps people consider what I call as uppermids categorised as treble, which in musical scales is technically correct, but treble for me is the treble knob on the amplifier.

Anyway, I welcome the planar revolution - they're incredible and dynamics can't compete in accuracy and tranparency.  From what I've read...from Skylab, because he actually knows what he is talking about not like most around here.

I'm not sure what you mean?  The 650s and the 701s are polar opposites, in both treble and bass output.

USG

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #216 of 425

Quote:

There's no doubt that my first T-1s  were overly bright and nothing like MH's descriptions, but my second pair are really nice and not bright at all.  They sound like 650s without any veil and with a much improved less dominant bass.

I think the change around 4K was for the headband.

USG

My ears really perked up on that one. My question would be have you heard other individual T-1s that have similarly leaned in either direction?

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #217 of 425
All the T1s I've heard had an annoying metallic tinge to the mids and treble.  I didn't like them at all.  This was all at CanJam last year though so I'm guessing early S/Ns.  When were they released?  There were tons of them and they sounded pretty similar across different gear.

The measurements at Innerfidelity do show different levels of brightness.

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #218 of 425

Quote:
I think I was the zero sibilance guy. Honestly I haven't heard any sibilance with my T1's. Thing is I bought them with Black Dragon cable fitted. I took them to the last UK meet and no one commented on any sibilance.

There might be something in this two kinds of T1.

serial no1412

Hah, it was indeed you. See this is what really makes me want to get the Black Dragon T1. The only problem is there's no returns and selling it would be a ~$300 loss. 

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #221 of 425

Quote:

My ears really perked up on that one. My question would be have you heard other individual T-1s that have similarly leaned in either direction?

I've only heard the two I've had.... BUT, there have been a great many reports of warm sounding T-1s.

Quote:
All the T1s I've heard had an annoying metallic tinge to the mids and treble.  I didn't like them at all.  This was all at CanJam last year though so I'm guessing early S/Ns.  When were they released?  There were tons of them and they sounded pretty similar across different gear.

The measurements at Innerfidelity do show different levels of brightness.

Interesting measurement find.  All I can add is that my first pair were reminiscent of you description, while my second pair corrects all the problems the first pair had.

Quote:
Hah, it was indeed you. See this is what really makes me want to get the Black Dragon T1. The only problem is there's no returns and selling it would be a ~$300 loss. 

I see you're a new member.  Why not spend some time in Sound Science?  You might want to read  "Testing audiophile claims and myths".... or not.

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #222 of 425
Thanks, olor1n!  I appreciate your kind words.  The wealth of voices is not necessarily a cacophony after all!

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #223 of 425
Quote:
Interesting measurement find.  All I can add is that my first pair were reminiscent of you description, while my second pair corrects all the problems the first pair had.

The THD on the newer set is a lot worse.  Not a trade I'd take.  You'd have better luck trying to EQ out the highs

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #224 of 425

Quote:
The day I hear real life as sibilant is the day the HD800 and D7000 is neutral in treble. 

I take it you've never played in a brass section or performed with a chorus in which you were standing near the sopranos during a forte passage.  Real trebles (including the core frequencies within the treble clef) aren't always soft, sweet and polite. 

Having been involved in serious amateur, and occasionally professional music (a few big time film scores, including Home Alone 2, and some operas with the LA Opera Co.), as a performer for more than 20 years, my take is that the HD800's give a far more honest and nuanced presentation to trebles than the LCD-2's.  Ears and opinions legitimately vary, but I imagine there are a number of us with well trained ears and music backgrounds who prefer top tier dynamics to orthos.  I'll give my standard disclaimer: I still like the LCD-2's a lot.  They are great phones, but I think they are over-hyped and defended against any and all criticism (no matter how minor or how accurate) to the point of absurdity on this forum.

Every time I see a speculative comment suggesting that "recording engineers" prefer LCD-2's, I think to myself, even assuming that statement were true, the unidentified recording engineers probably like these phones because they are used to listening to music with a glass wall between themselves and the talent.  

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #225 of 425
I think the HD 800 is technically the best can out there.  It would be my recommendation to recording professionals as they are miraculously accurate.  That said, I'd prefer to listen to the LCD-2 for pleasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back