Is Head-Fi Witnessing The Rise Of Two New Kings
Jun 23, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #226 of 425

Quote:
The THD on the newer set is a lot worse.  Not a trade I'd take.  You'd have better luck trying to EQ out the highs

That's assuming, of course, that those measurements were accurately made, replicated and that they represent every T-1 headphone that has ever been produced.

Never-the-less, they are interesting.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #227 of 425
Quote:
That's assuming, of course, that those measurements were accurately made, replicated and that they represent every T-1 headphone that has ever been produced.

Never-the-less, they are interesting.

It would sure be enough to scare me out of spending $1300 without a no questions asked return policy.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #228 of 425
Quote:
I think the HD 800 is technically the best can out there.  It would be my recommendation to recording professionals as they are miraculously accurate.  That said, I'd prefer to listen to the LCD-2 for pleasure.

Depends on who you ask.

Quote:
Lunatique, have you auditioned the HD800 on your headphone journey? I'd be interested in your impressions.

Quote:
If I happen to come across them, I will, but I'm pretty much done going out of my way for headphones at this point, unless it's something very compelling, with vast number of testimonials that strongly favors it over the headphones I currently have, and is still in production, or at least easy to find second hand and the price isn't jacked up (beyond its original value).

Yes I have, and it didn't impress me all that much. It's nice, but it doesn't have authoritative bass response that sounds like a full-range speaker system with a subwoofer. In fact the bass is probably about the same or a bit leaner than the HD650, and I already find the HD650 a bit lean in the sub-bass presence. The HD800 also sounded a bit artificial because the detail and clarity didn't sound that natural to me. I really do have to a more comprehensive test on it in my own studio in order to really assess it completely, but it'll never happen because I didn't like it enough (especially considering the price) to ever have it in my studio.

Lunatique is probably one of the most level-headed people around here and is quite experienced in pro audio as well.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #229 of 425
Quote:
I think the HD 800 is technically the best can out there.  It would be my recommendation to recording professionals as they are miraculously accurate.  That said, I'd prefer to listen to the LCD-2 for pleasure.

You and Todd, seem to have similar opinions, about cans.  Have you given a listen to some of the "new" tubes he has for his amps, at his Thursday listening sessions?

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #230 of 425

Quote:

Lunatique is probably one of the most level-headed people around here

There's an irony there somewhere.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #231 of 425
Jun 24, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #232 of 425

Quote:

In technical terms, yes the HD800 is basically the best. But for actual enjoyment of music, there is definitely better out there IMO, the LCD-2 for sure being one of them. 

Quote:

I see you're a new member.  Why not spend some time in Sound Science?  You might want to read  "Testing audiophile claims and myths".... or not.

Thanks, I have read it. Unfortunately there's still no consensus, and unlike some other things I have personally experienced and know to be placebo, analog recabling I cannot be sure of. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #233 of 425

Quote:
All the T1s I've heard had an annoying metallic tinge to the mids and treble.

Is it as bad as that Ultrasone timbre?  Haven't heard the ED8 though, just HFI 580 and Pro2500 which matches other impressions of Ultrasone in general.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #234 of 425

Quote:

Once again, you can bookend the thread on that note.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #235 of 425
Quote:
Is it as bad as that Ultrasone timbre?  Haven't heard the ED8 though, just HFI 580 and Pro2500 which matches other impressions of Ultrasone in general.

No.  At least its not nearly as bad as the HFI780s I've had which were $DEITY forsaken.  Those are the only Ultrasonnes I have experience with.  Going back and forth between the HD800 and the T1 on the same setup the HD800's timbre was easily superior.  I gave the ED8 a brief listen but I forgot to take notes so all I really remember is that it was pleasant.

All the Beyers I've heard (770/880/900/T50p/T1) except the DT1350 have it to some degree but I thought it was about the worst with the T1s I heard.  The timbre on the T50p might have been worse but everything else about them was so bad I didn't listen long enough to even notice.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #237 of 425
Quote:

Well, they did then.  Beyer is always changing crap and never tells anybody about it.  I think that's why nobody can ever agree on how they sound.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #238 of 425

Quote:
Well, they did then.  Beyer is always changing crap and never tells anybody about it.  I think that's why nobody can ever agree on how they sound.

I guess so. I'm gonna get my hands on a new T1 and see if it's different from my first. But as for a metallic tinge, I have no idea, the T1 along with the HE500 is the most natural sounding headphone I have ever heard. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #239 of 425

Quote:

That might explain my experience.

Quote:
I guess so. I'm gonna get my hands on a new T1 and see if it's different from my first. But as for a metallic tinge, I have no idea, the T1 along with the HE500 is the most natural sounding headphone I have ever heard. 

I think you may have a new T1. My experience with the T1 was one of the worst experiences I've had in audio. The T1 I had had no bass, recessed midrange, and incomparable vocal sibilance. Nothing close to neutral and that was through tubes touted as "so warm it will cure all treble." Until someone figures out what's going on, I won't be touching another T1.

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #240 of 425

Quote:

That might explain my experience.

I think you may have a new T1. My experience with the T1 was one of the worst experiences I've had in audio. The T1 I had had no bass, recessed midrange, and incomparable vocal sibilance. Nothing close to neutral and that was through tubes touted as "so warm it will cure all treble." Until someone figures out what's going on, I won't be touching another T1.

I'm pretty sure yours was defective. Mine isn't "new", but it's "newer". I think they're well over 4K now, mine is ~3.5k. But yes no bass and recessed midrange are absolutely not what I'm hearing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back