Is Head-Fi Witnessing The Rise Of Two New Kings
Jun 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #166 of 425
As you probably know, there is no stat hybrid phone.  There's a reason the hybrids have been so successful as speakers.  You get a cone woofer with a stat panel (I own the Innersounds, now SandersSoundSystems).  For myself, the Stax stats don't have enough "fun" bass if you know what I mean.  After trying both the LCD-2 and the HE-5LE (I've owned Maggie 3.6s in the past), I decided they weren't for me so I roll with dynamic drivers.  In phones, I guess I like a somewhat hot treble compared with the orthos.  Stax have a more transparent mid and treble than the Audez'e or HiFiMan, IMHO.

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #167 of 425
LOL, been on here long enough to know that it seems every 6-9 months or so there is a new king or two on this forum.  Love these threads.....  Last King I bought was the HD650's... And to me they are still just great...

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #168 of 425
You can say it is the FOTM, but it has been out for over a year now and is gaining more and more momentum. Think how fast the FOTM status fell off other headphones like the T1 or HD800. There was as many people that disliked them as liked them. It dosent seem to be that way with the lcd2. While there are people who dont like them, it seems like it is 75/25 for the like/dislike. (pure speculation).

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #169 of 425

Quote:
Interesting thread.

For those that prefer either the HiFiMan series or LCD2's over the Beyer T1's, could you please explain a little why. I ask just because I've been saving up for the T1's, but now I'm not so sure...I love the civilized yet exciting sound of my Beyer DT880's (but wanting to take it to the next level, hence the T1's), but I've also been beguiled by the electrostat-hybrid speakers I've heard by Innersound and Martin Logan. Are we talking a comparable sound from these headphones under discussion here?

I'm still looking for that best all-'rounder.

The absolute best all rounder out of every can I've had is the HE500 followed very closely by the T1. They can do no wrong. My final setup is going to be LCD2/T1/ED8, an incredible combo.

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #170 of 425
I'm waiting for the LCD-3. 
cool.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #172 of 425

Quote:
The absolute best all rounder out of every can I've had is the HE500 followed very closely by the T1. They can do no wrong. My final setup is going to be LCD2/T1/ED8, an incredible combo.

Well you've seemed to have your mind made up. If you don't mind me asking considering the T1 is known to have a hot treble and the ED8 and LCD 2 are known to have an all around smoother sound isn't the T1 a completely different animal? In my mind the T1 should be more in line with the HD800 and the Grado PS1000. Do you mind explaining to us why you would lump the T1 in with the ED8 and LCD2 and why not maybe look into a mid level Stax instead of a T1?

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #173 of 425

Quote:
Well you've seemed to have your mind made up. If you don't mind me asking considering the T1 is known to have a hot treble and the ED8 and LCD 2 are known to have an all around smoother sound isn't the T1 a completely different animal? In my mind the T1 should be more in line with the HD800 and the Grado PS1000. Do you mind explaining to us why you would lump the T1 in with the ED8 and LCD2 and why not maybe look into a mid level Stax instead of a T1?

Yes I have. T1 or HE500 is an absolute must for me, they have an amazing natural and engrossing sound that no other can I've heard can quite reproduce. The T1 just happens to fit into this combo better than the HE500 (Rather 1 dynamic, 1 orthos, 1 portable than 2 orthos, I'm a hardcore gamer and T1 is #1 for gaming, HE500 is closer to LCD than T1 is). The T1 is very similar to the HD800, but the HD800 is even brighter. Yes, the T1 does have a bit of hot treble, but I don't mind it, especially when the LCD is treble recessed and the ED8 is treble neutral. I prefer the T1 to the HD800 overall, though it's still a wonderful can that could also fit into this trifecta. No idea about the PS1000, I don't like Grados. As for Stax, I'm not interested for several reasons.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #174 of 425
I've not posted on too many sites in the past because the opinions seem to flow like water, and folks seem pretty possessive about their opinions. It was pretty intimidating for an old school guy like me to read some occasionally harsh posts from folks who don't even let anyone know who they really are.  The good news I've found in reading a few threads here is that there seem to be many very intelligent posters whose opinions are often well considered. That feels good, so I'm breaking silence. I have a few notions of my own to present here....let's see what happens.....

Perspective #1 -- the headphone is at the end of the signal path. 

Thus, a "good" headphone's job is to reveal anything in front of it. Before one can judge accurately the quality and performance of any headphone, one must establish some reliable benchmarks with regard to what parts of the signal path preceding the headphones contribute to a given observable characteristic within the sonic result.  In other words "what am I hearing?" and "what part of the signal chain is causing what I'm hearing?" become questions a discerning listener must ask and come to understand just to begin the walk towards audio heaven...Add to this the part about discerning what part of what one hears from one's headphones is the headphones themselves, and what part is being contributed by the many pieces in front of the headphones?

Perspective #2 - EVERYTHING makes a difference.

I've been at this high-end audio thing for 30 years, and I've learned that, without a doubt, and almost without exception, everything in the signal path impacts the sonic result in some way...good or bad....what's good and what's bad? That's a matter of perspective...For some, it's about ultimate amounts of information.  For others it's about ultimate resolution with ultimate accuracy.  For me it's about "more foot taps per minute."  I'm an emotion-first guy -- that's my perspective.  Don't get me wrong -- I know that without all of those "reality cues" embedded in the wealth of information to be unravelled by the components on hand, the emotion's not even possible.  There has to be enough Musical Truth in the signal path to move my soul.  That said, the intellectual exercise of audio analysis is fun, but nowhere near as fun for me as when the music makes me stop thinking and be with the music.  Those moments where time seems to stop, the music actually seems to slow down, I get those warm chills and the hair on the back of my neck stands up are why I do this.  If I can't get that feeling from what I'm listening to, I have two choices....stop listening or start tweaking......We can have the conversation about things like interconnect cables, power cords, resonance control, and the rest of audio neurotica...let's just say I've heard a lot of stuff that, from an engineering standpoint, should make small differences at best, and end up making large ones.  My bottom line remains....it all makes a difference, and the goal is to make the whole experience more emotionally engaging.

Perspective #3 -- Live, unamplified, unadulterated music provided by real instruments played by real players, and songs sung by real singers in a real space is still my reference. 

I've been critically listening to high-end audio for over 30 years, and to live music of many types for almost 50 years.  I've heard much of what's been described as "the best there is" and nothing reproduced has yet to sound as real as REAL. I can't seem to remember what I had for dinner last night, but I can still remember hearing Carlos Montoya as a kid at Lafayette, LA's Municipal Auditorium.  I can still remember jumping out of my seat when the cannons fired during the 1812 Overture played my the Minneapolis Symphony.  My dad laughed his butt off.  I remember seeing Chicago with Terry Kath in '74, The Stones in '81, The Who minus Keith Moon, and even some of the Grateful Dead show at Manor Downs, outside of Austin back in the day (don't ask why I can't remember more of that show :) ).  What I remember, though, has nothing to do with the sonic character of the acoustic space, the PA system, or any of that sort of thing.  What I remember is what I FELT in the moment.  The joy, exhilaration, and thrill of the music moving my soul ...THAT is why I'm in this thing, and that's what I search for.

Oh, yeah....My opinion of the new "kings of the hill?" The only vote that really counts is your own, but I really love the sound I've heard from the LCD-2s as well as the HiFi Man phones.  They're both outstanding.    Both move me when I plug them into my rig.  So are the latest Grados I've heard, the latest Sennheisers and, where emotion and value are concerned (we can't all have unlimited funds, right?), even those new $2 c-note Shures I got to listen to the other day.  So what does THAT mean?  That each of them is able to reproduce something in front of them that makes emotion happen in my heart when my brain processes the signal.  I'd like to think that if they're all making music that what's in front of them is pretty darned good, too.  That leads to

Perspective #4 -- The best that any component can do is to reproduce what it's given. 

Give it the best you can afford...that doesn't always mean the most expensive...quite the contrary, from what I've found, in some cases.  Good engineering makes good sense, and there are plenty of things that make no sense until you understand them a bit better.  A guy in Dallas once told me "Brian, things sound like what they are."  He was SO RIGHT.  The key is to figure out why some things that SEEM to be the same, don't sound the same.  The more I dig, the more I learn that there are some really subtle differences that sometimes make huge difference in what I hear.   It's really interesting how sometimes The Secret Sauce has some ingredients that aren't readily discernable......That, too, is another conversation. 

Take care, everyone, and thanks for giving me a place to play every so often....

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #176 of 425
Great comment

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #177 of 425
Welcome to headfi bk4music. Great food for thought and a epic first post. Feel free to chime in.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #178 of 425
It's FOTM...No question. People will always try and find something that is better than the "big boys" something that is "less known...something that puts them "in the know". There still is no real comparison to the HD800 for my ears...but then again, I'm not looking to impress anyone, or become part of some secret club.

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #179 of 425

Quote:
It's FOTM...No question. People will always try and find something that is better than the "big boys" something that is "less known...something that puts them "in the know". There still is no real comparison to the HD800 for my ears...but then again, I'm not looking to impress anyone, or become part of some secret club.

It's not just FOTM, at this point there are several cans that compete and arguably beat the HD800 (including those similar in signature). It's not the one and only king anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love 'em, but the LCD2, HE-6, HE500, T1,ED8 are all IMO superior. Perhaps not technically (and certainly not in comfort), but in overall sound. And with the HE500 in particular, you're getting something that bests all the dynamics I've tried at $899.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back