Is Head-Fi Witnessing The Rise Of Two New Kings
Jun 19, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #136 of 425

Quote:
Nope. But I do think that it's possible to make a design choice that is flawed. History is littered with them. 
smile.gif

Fair enough.  Can't argue w/ that supreme logic.  
wink.gif
  Though I'd apply my ED10 argument as a counterpoint or food for thought.  I was going to say nobody designs TOTL phones w/o utmost consideration to SQ but the ED10 reared it's ugly head again.  
biggrin.gif

I think it's time to play the ED10 game and ditch Kevin Bacon.

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #137 of 425

Quote:
Fair enough.  Can't argue w/ that supreme logic.  
wink.gif
  Though I'd apply my ED10 argument as a counterpoint or food for thought.  I was going to say nobody designs TOTL phones w/o utmost consideration to SQ but the ED10 reared it's ugly head again.  
biggrin.gif

I think it's time to play the ED10 game and ditch Kevin Bacon.

Pfft sound quality is nothing, it's all about wrapping your ears in slaughtered Ethiopian sheep.

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #138 of 425
I never liked the HD800; I didn't like the balance and presentation despite the good detailing and huge soundstage.  I liked the T1 much much more, but with just a short listen of the HE-6, I never reconsidered getting a T1.  And of the dynamic headphones I've heard, my favorite was the T1.

I think the complaints about the orthos comes from amps with sub-par power.  I know a good chunk of the forum loves tube amps, but I believe there are only very few that can actually fully power an HE-6.

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #139 of 425

Quote:
I never liked the HD800; I didn't like the balance and presentation despite the good detailing and huge soundstage.  I liked the T1 much much more, but with just a short listen of the HE-6, I never reconsidered getting a T1.  And of the dynamic headphones I've heard, my favorite was the T1.

I think the complaints about the orthos comes from amps with sub-par power.  I know a good chunk of the forum loves tube amps, but I believe there are only very few that can actually fully power an HE-6.

Almost the same experience here. I love the HD800 soundstage and transparency, it's very special, but I do prefer the T1. Then I got the HE500 and prefer that slightly (like 5%) to the T1 so I returned it. LCD2 is in it's own category for me. I may end up getting recabled T1's anyway though, they are the dynamic kings indeed.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #140 of 425

I've found this to be true.

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #141 of 425
I think it would be interesting to ask this question differently.  Let's assume for a minute that the LCD-2 was built as "just another" dynamic headphone - and was NOT a planar magnetic design.  And let's say, for grins, that it was manufactured by AKG, and not two guys in a garage.  Then add $300 to the price tag.

Are we all seriously suggesting that, given those altered facts, that the LCD-2 would have drawn the interest that it has so far today?  

I think this hobby is great, don't get me wrong.  I just think we need to be able to step back outside our own perceptual "cloud", to be able to develop a reasonable perspective.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #142 of 425

Quote:
Nope. But I do think that it's possible to make a design choice that is flawed. History is littered with them. 
smile.gif

It's a design flaw that it's not yet another bright headphone?  That is exactly why it is so popular.  It is the most fundamental design choice to Audeze's success. 

I still don't understand why the LCD-2's treble comes up so often.  Almost every hi-end headphone is either bright or incredibly bright and then one headphone comes along that isn't and all the treble heads have a shitfit because now every headphone isn't catering to their tastes. 
confused_face.gif
  God forbid we have a little variety in the headphone landscape.

Also, why does every LCD-2 thread follow the same pattern?  We even have the same misinformed representations of headphone graph measurements in every LCD-2 thread, assuming that they should measure as a flat line.  I don't understand why this comes up in these threads, since no headphone measures close to a flat line. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #143 of 425
We probably wouldn't like headphones that measure as flatline, although some of us would say man these are the best sounding  
tongue.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #144 of 425
Personally, I've settled on my headphones by doing side-by side comparisons, with a variety of songs, comparing several sonic features and evaluating them solely on the basis of their sound.  All the headphones I own were chosen by this process.  From these direct comparisons, it was immediately clear that the HE-500 were superior to all my previous favorite headphones (some costing substantially more) in almost every regard.  LCD-2 similarly trump my other headphones (RS-1, HF-1, HD600, D7000, Edition 8, SRH840).

You should to listen to them, you might be surprised by what you hear.

Quote:
I think it would be interesting to ask this question differently.  Let's assume for a minute that the LCD-2 was built as "just another" dynamic headphone - and was NOT a planar magnetic design.  And let's say, for grins, that it was manufactured by AKG, and not two guys in a garage.  Then add $300 to the price tag.

Are we all seriously suggesting that, given those altered facts, that the LCD-2 would have drawn the interest that it has so far today?  

I think this hobby is great, don't get me wrong.  I just think we need to be able to step back outside our own perceptual "cloud", to be able to develop a reasonable perspective.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #145 of 425

Quote:

If it wasn't an ortho and it was made by AKG it would be called the B701, it would be purple, have Beyonce's signature across the back, and no, it wouldn't draw nearly as much interest. 
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #146 of 425
Quote:

Head-fi may have an affinity for one-offs made by small companies but before the LCD-2 and HE-5 who, outside of the dedicated ortho ninjas, even knew what an orthodynamic/planar magnetic was?  When you add in the fan base and advertising power of a large company I'd easily give the advantage to the hypothetical AKG.

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #147 of 425

Quote:
It's a design flaw that it's not yet another bright headphone?  That is exactly why it is so popular.  It is the most fundamental design choice to Audeze's success. 

I still don't understand why the LCD-2's treble comes up so often.  Almost every hi-end headphone is either bright or incredibly bright and then one headphone comes along that isn't and all the treble heads have a shitfit because now every headphone isn't catering to their tastes. 
confused_face.gif
  God forbid we have a little variety in the headphone landscape.

Also, why does every LCD-2 thread follow the same pattern?  We even have the same misinformed representations of headphone graph measurements in every LCD-2 thread, assuming that they should measure as a flat line.  I don't understand why this comes up in these threads, since no headphone measures close to a flat line. 

It's obvious from your posts that you are an unabashed fan of this headphone and the company that manufactures it. You've said that you want Audeze to succeed, and that's rather sweet. However, I think that you tend to wear your heart on your sleeve by feeling compelled to defend the LCD-2 against any critical comments, despite having your own misgivings about the resonances that you detect when you listen to it, and its heavy weight. By the way, would you regard these as flaws or design choices? 
wink.gif

If you've read my posts in this thread, you would have seen that I liked the LCD-2 overall. I've said that there's a lot to like about it, and I can understand why others do. I can also understand why others don't, and why LCD-2s are appearing in the FS thread. A fellow Head-Fi'er just sold his after wanting to like it and giving it a fair hearing. I hope that he will post his thoughtful impressions at some point. Like any other headphone, the LCD-2 is not for everyone.

To dismiss him and every other person who has tried it and found it not to their liking as a "treble head" is just ridiculous. And to describe almost every other high-end headphone as "bright" just because they sound that way to you, doesn't make it objectively so. You've been around here long enough to know how subjective this hobby is, and after all of the discussion, debate, heated arguments and pointing to frequency response measurements, it inevitably comes down to a matter of personal preference.

I found the LCD-2 to have a powerful sound signature with an emphasis on meaty mids and impressive bass, at the expense of some top-end sparkle. If the HD800 could be described as ethereal then the LCD-2 is earthy. It was smooth and non-fatiguing, but its highs sounded "shelved down" to me, and I know that I am not alone in noticing this. 

Now your ears obviously find this agreeable and you appear to regard it as a strength. I also found it agreeable but see it as a weakness or a flaw in a high fidelity, high-end, headphone. As I've already said, the reproduction of higher frequencies is no less important in a high-end headphone than the middle and low frequencies, and I think that this is the LCD-2's Achilles heel because the treble presentation sounds somewhat muted to me. That's not to say that it is lacking in detail, but instruments that should sound vivid as they do to me in "real life" and through other hi-fi systems and high-end headphones that I have heard, do not sound like this through the LCD-2. 

Do you also view Tyll Hertsen's own interpretation of the LCD-2's frequency response measurements that he has taken as misinformed? His latest measurements of a newer model LCD-2 indicate that its "shelved down" highs (I'll refrain from using the term "roll-off" as he did, lest I start another pedantic disagreement) have been redressed. As he stated at his website: "And ... measurements of the latest LCD2 ... now with more highs!"; and posted on the previous page: "I think the LCD-2 changed significantly with the new pad, and is now basically dead on in the treble but for a little sumpin' sumpin' that I just can't explain yet." If that proves to be the case, then I'd be prepared to give it another try.

The LCD-2 brings its own take on high fidelity sound to the headphone market and of course that should be welcomed, but that does not place it beyond reproach. It is no different from any other high-end headphone in that regard. I obviously don't rate it as highly as you and some others here do. If I did, I'd own one, but I do recognise that it is a fine headphone. I hope that it continues to "dew eet" for you. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #150 of 425
I definitely don't have the money to audition as many headphones as some of you guys have but it's funny just reading these replies.  I can take a step back and laugh at how you guys are arguing over ___________________Headphones_____________!!!!lol  i am not being mean lol lol lol . It's just making me giggle.  I totally 100% respect you guys ALOT but also envy you. Another thing real quick is that some of you have more than one pair of headphones lol.   You must really love your headphones giggle smrk.  I love my headphones even though i don't have any but i laugh at my self and feel embarassed about my obsession with headphones.  
It was off topic i know, i just really wanted to mention it.  Thank you guys for all the awesome feedback. 
Im going to go read more about headphones since i don't have any to listen to like you guys do lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back