[Impression] FiiO E10
Jan 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #691 of 1,324
I just bought this thing, absolutely amazing, thought I can't seem to set it to output 24/96 because it crashes my windows and gives me BSD (windows 7)

other than that, wow, absolutely zero hiss, nothing...

Woah! You get bluescreens? I can't remember the last time I got a bluescreen on Windows. It's been a couple years. It's a totally different world my kids are growing up in where Macs crash and PCs don't.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #692 of 1,324

Quote:
Quote:
I just bought this thing, absolutely amazing, thought I can't seem to set it to output 24/96 because it crashes my windows and gives me BSD (windows 7)

other than that, wow, absolutely zero hiss, nothing...

Woah! You get bluescreens? I can't remember the last time I got a bluescreen on Windows. It's been a couple years. It's a totally different world my kids are growing up in where Macs crash and PCs don't.

Ironic isn't it?
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #693 of 1,324
Mac crashes? lol

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #694 of 1,324
yes they do, from time to time. but having had a macbook for 4 years and treating it quite roughly, i'm surprised at its durability and OS stability.  i've crashed more with my 1 year old pc than with my 4 year old macbook.  this is probably because apple specs for their own hardware whereas microsoft can't possibly account for every single permutation of hardware that exists that can run PC.

anyway, about everyone with the jack defects... i had a fiio e10 and it was perfectly fine, there was buzzing in the right channel if it was not playing anything, and i turned it way past what my ears can possibly handle.  so for all practical purposes, when i was actually using it, the e10 had a black background.  and no losing channels from wiggling the jack, either!

you'll always hear more from the people who had negative experiences about any given product than people who got a working one.

instrument separation was better than my macbook HP out, and that was obvious when some songs that got congested through the HP out but not through the e10.  and it's true about the fat, round bass and full mids - probably tuned that way by Fiio.  So i'm guessing it's not very flat, but it has a bit of a bump in some of the lower frequency ranges that make it sound that way.

Jan 11, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #695 of 1,324

Quote:
yes they do, from time to time. but having had a macbook for 4 years and treating it quite roughly, i'm surprised at its durability and OS stability.  i've crashed more with my 1 year old pc than with my 4 year old macbook.  this is probably because apple specs for their own hardware whereas microsoft can't possibly account for every single permutation of hardware that exists that can run PC.

This is absolutely and completely TRUE! xD

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #697 of 1,324

Quote:
Sorry, this may sound like a dumb question, but does the e10 have to be plugged in to use it, or does it have a battery, or run off my iDevice's battery.

The E10 is a desktop/laptop device only. There is no built in battery nor do you need to charge it or use external power to drive it. One USB cable will do it all, and it has to plug in to a computer. I don't know if it will work with a camera connection kit for an iPad though.

dL

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #698 of 1,324
Are there a lot of E10's with the headphone jack problem?

dL

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #699 of 1,324

Quote:
Are there a lot of E10's with the headphone jack problem?

dL

Fiio ppl here said is a very small % compared to the units sold.

If you can return it easily (amazon) you can try it.

In my case, i got 1 defective E10, returned it, and the replacement is working perfectly.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #700 of 1,324
Another question,

Has anyone used the E10 with an E9 pairing? What gains would one get for getting an E9 with an E10 as the DAC?

dL

Jan 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #701 of 1,324

Quote:
 Originally Posted by creamsoda  

anyway, about everyone with the jack defects... i had a fiio e10 and it was perfectly fine, there was buzzing in the right channel if it was not playing anything, and i turned it way past what my ears can possibly handle.  so for all practical purposes, when i was actually using it, the e10 had a black background.  and no losing channels from wiggling the jack, either!

You had that buzzing too! What do you think it is? It's not that bad on mine but since I don't know where it comes from, I only fear it gets worse and I start hearing it while playing music! You say you "had" an e10. Have you returned it because of the buzzing?

Also the jack is loose, with a 3.5mm jack it's alright but with 6.35 mm + 3.5 adapter... Dont you guys think that's too much weight ?

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #702 of 1,324

Quote:
So i'm guessing it's not very flat, but it has a bit of a bump in some of the lower frequency ranges that make it sound that way.

It is actually as flat as you can wish it to be. What you are hearing has nothing to do with frequency response, but a combination of speed, power, damping, etc, the other factors that don't show up in a FR curve.

Quote:
Another question,

Has anyone used the E10 with an E9 pairing? What gains would one get for getting an E9 with an E10 as the DAC?

dL

Do read the first post please.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #703 of 1,324

Quote:
You had that buzzing too! What do you think it is? It's not that bad on mine but since I don't know where it comes from, I only fear it gets worse and I start hearing it while playing music! You say you "had" an e10. Have you returned it because of the buzzing?

Also the jack is loose, with a 3.5mm jack it's alright but with 6.35 mm + 3.5 adapter... Dont you guys think that's too much weight ?

no idea, for all practical purposes i wouldn't hear it. only when it's a good amount over what i could possibly tolerate (and i'm a drummer who usually doesn't use hearing protection, my threshold is pretty high).  i believe this buzzing to be acceptable, and that i didn't receive a defective unit.

as for what happened to mine, i upgraded to an audinst (i needed the pre-amp out for studio monitors) so i had no use for the e10, sold it.  not a huge difference in SQ, really. a teeny bit better for separation and bass is more impactful and less bloated.  perhaps, more refined?

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #704 of 1,324
This is a really weird problem.

Anybody who uses an E10 with an Mac can help me out. Ever since I got the E10, all the Mac sound alert (Funk, move to trash, clear trash etc.) sounds really weird. If I change the output source to the built in speakers of the Mac then it sounds fine. It only sounds weird through the E10. I have absolutely no idea why. I did change the MIDI setup to 24/96 but when I change it back to 16/44 it is still like that.

Other than that, the E10 sounds perfectly fine. I wonder if I got a defective unit or if it is a defective driver?

dL

Jan 15, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #705 of 1,324
Probably it is the sound driver on the mac. If it is the E10, everything will sound bad all thing time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back