[Impression] FiiO E10
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #721 of 1,324

Quote:
I'm still not able to repeat it using Tom Sawyer.  I'm using Foobar2K with WASAPI, switching back and forth between headphone-out and the E10.  Could be a problem specific to JRiver, or perhaps my ears aren't quite good enough to catch it.

Yes, it is hard to notice it because the time is less than 1 second and hard to affect your enjoyment of the music unless you have special request for it.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #722 of 1,324
It's very noticeable, but what is more ominous is that the E10 is designed to not play tracks from the very beginning!  Looks like I'm ordering an E17/E9 combo, because the E17 does not have a 3.5mm line out for powered speakers (like the E10 very handily does), so I need the E9 for that. 

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #723 of 1,324
I need some understanding the behavior of my Sony Viao and the E10. I use the combo solely for Spotify premium.  If I format the sampling at 24/48, the sound is very loud and I have good bass of out my Senn HD280. If I change the format to 24/96 the the sound is much cleaner but I have to crank the E10 volume louder to have the same dynamic effect. 

What's do I do wrong here?

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #724 of 1,324
Quote:
It's very noticeable, but what is more ominous is that the E10 is designed to not play tracks from the very beginning!  Looks like I'm ordering an E17/E9 combo, because the E17 does not have a 3.5mm line out for powered speakers (like the E10 very handily does), so I need the E9 for that. 

Get a FiiO L7 dock then you can get line-out from E17 without E9.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #725 of 1,324
I'm quite glad I'm waiting on the E17 considering the cut-off problem on the E10 and the apparent lack of it on the E17 (as per that email to FiiO). It definitely seems minor, but it'd be enough to upset me, no doubt.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #726 of 1,324

Quote:
Yes, it is hard to notice it because the time is less than 1 second and hard to affect your enjoyment of the music unless you have special request for it.

It is easy to notice when listening to live concerts that have no delay between tracks.
I hear a pause/skip when the track changes, but music is continuous.

If I pair the e10 with an e9 will this issue be resolved? or is the problem with the e10 DAC, so the e9 will not fix it?

Also, I have the first batch of e10's. My headphones wiggle in the jack, but the sound remains excellent (no hiss, buzz, crackle).
However, I wonder if the issues others are having might happen to me later on. Are people with a good sounding first batch returning their products?

Jan 17, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #727 of 1,324

Quote:

Are people with a good sounding first batch returning their products?

Mine is from second batch /with new silk screen/ and has the same problem. Of course I opened it to see what cause the problem and it seems the sheet iron is not tighten up enough /see red circle/. I don’t think it will cause further problems but I’ve returned mine for repaire because the Betas which came   with E10 were broken. But still think in terms of quality control E10 is a failure and the mass production could not excuse this.  Add the E10 sound cutting issue and you’ll find why Fiio is a  mass company for a low to mid products only.  Hope they will improve. Luckily  MP4Nations has great customer support.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #729 of 1,324
Jan 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #730 of 1,324

Quote:

Mine is from second batch /with new silk screen/ and has the same problem. Of course I opened it to see what cause the problem and it seems the sheet iron is not tighten up enough /see red circle/. I don’t think it will cause further problems but I’ve returned mine for repaire because the Betas which came   with E10 were broken. But still think in terms of quality control E10 is a failure and the mass production could not excuse this.  Add the E10 sound cutting issue and you’ll find why Fiio is a  mass company for a low to mid products only.  Hope they will improve. Luckily  MP4Nations has great customer support.

I will say that despite the issues many users have had with the E10, Fiio products by and large have been quite reliable.  I think we sometimes forget that Fiio is still a relatively young and emerging company.  Not excusing the E10's problems, but given Fiio's track record I think we can safely assume better results from future products.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #731 of 1,324

Quote:
I will say that despite the issues many users have had with the E10, Fiio products by and large have been quite reliable.  I think we sometimes forget that Fiio is still a relatively young and emerging company.  Not excusing the E10's problems, but given Fiio's track record I think we can safely assume better results from future products.

Not sure if Fiio is known for its products reliability but I admire company attempt to make mid classes DAC/Amps accessible for many. Apart of its issues  E10 deliver decent sound and justify its price.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #732 of 1,324
I guess how important this 'design flaw' is different for everyone. I never know about it till I read about it a page back, since I don't have any album that has no silent gap / fade-in. So the natural fade-in (usually a second or two) on the beginning of most of my music collection will mask the 7ms, which is a much shorter time.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #733 of 1,324

Quote:
I guess how important this 'design flaw' is different for everyone. I never know about it till I read about it a page back, since I don't have any album that has no silent gap / fade-in. So the natural fade-in (usually a second or two) on the beginning of most of my music collection will mask the 7ms, which is a much shorter time.

Same here, and I wasn't able to pick it out even listening for it in the examples that other people gave.  I don't have any live albums with seamless track transition either though, and I think that's really the only situation where most people would notice the break.  According to Fiio, it's 0.7 milliseconds (there are 1000 milliseconds in one second, so it's less than 1/1000th of a second).

And while mine does have the jack problem, it's not an issue unless I move it around.  Since it lives on my desk and has an extension cable permanently plugged in, it never moves and I never lose channels or hear static.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #734 of 1,324
The excellent commentary on this form led to my purchase of an E10 and ATH-M50s recently, and I couldn't be happier with the sound quality from the pair especially with my 24/96 collection. The response is very flat and the noise floor is nearly nonexistent!

There is one problem, though, which I have not seen mentioned in this thread. I have very sensitive hearing; the last time I had it checked I had zero hearing loss out past 20kHz. So I tend to listen to music at very low levels (<30dB SPL, about as loud as a whisper or less). I have noticed on the E10 that the channel balance is heavily biased to the left until the volume knob gets past the 0.75 mark (E10 goes up to 8), and I would like to listen around the 0.5 mark for a  portion of my regular CD collection. Is this occurring for other E10 owners as well or is mine defective? As a side note I ave noticed this same behavior on many (if not most) low and mid-end amplifiers over the years, exceptions being my Rotel RA-02 and other similar and better quality amplifiers.

I suppose I could put a resistor or similar in the path of the headphones, allowing me to turn the volume knob past 1 and still get a low volume in the headphones. Has anyone done this?

Oh, and the gain is set to low on the E10.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back