[Impression] FiiO E10
Nov 3, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #271 of 1,324
I'm really enjoying the Fiio E10 out of my desktop. I always had enjoyed Eqing and i went ahead and did this on Foobar, and it sounded amazing. But i tried switching off eq and such a luscious and involving sound. best 80 dollars spent! I"ve got a question. If i have my headphone plugged in the front, are there any problems if i plug in the speaker lineout at the same time. I played it before and it was playing through both the headphones and the speakers. Could i cause any damage or am i overheating the e10 in any way/? Thanks

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #272 of 1,324

Quote:
I'm really enjoying the Fiio E10 out of my desktop. I always had enjoyed Eqing and i went ahead and did this on Foobar, and it sounded amazing. But i tried switching off eq and such a luscious and involving sound. best 80 dollars spent! I"ve got a question. If i have my headphone plugged in the front, are there any problems if i plug in the speaker lineout at the same time. I played it before and it was playing through both the headphones and the speakers. Could i cause any damage or am i overheating the e10 in any way/? Thanks

It is safe to connect both the headphone and the speaker at the same time. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 3, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #273 of 1,324
I've had my E10 for a couple of days now. It hasn't blown my mind exactly, but it's still a nice unit. Small and solid, and with a sound that's pretty much a little cleaner over the cheapo DAC I was using before. I've been mostly using it as a pure DAC so far, but I'll try to get some listening on the HPO too.

Couple of issues: Like others, I've found that the headphone jack can be a bit wobbly. No issues with static from that, though. I have found an unusual number of pops and crackles in just general music listening, though; I got pops before but these ones can be quite loud and distracting, and come through both the LO and HPO. I also had an issue where I was getting distorted highs on tracks where there had been no distortion before. This was eventually solved by just unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #274 of 1,324

Quote:

Make sure you use either the ASIO or WASAPI plugins for playback.

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #276 of 1,324
I pre-ordered mine through mp4nation...can't wait! I'll be sure to post my impressions paired with Denon D2000.

Anyway, I'm also planning to use them with my speakers, which are connected to a stereo power-amp without a volume control. Now my question is, would I lose audio quality by connecting E10 => Power amp directly (and control the volume in the computer), or would it be worth it to connect E10 => Stereo Receiver (and use its preamp function to control volume) => Power Amp?

Thanks!

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #277 of 1,324
Greetings everyone, long time lurker here finally signing in! My introduction reel shows most of my history in the world of stereo speaker listening, then some half serious attempts at portable listening through some Sony in-ears, more recently the MEElec M11+ and finally my love with the Ultrasone PRO 750 over everything I've auditioned (perhaps the Denon D2000 came close). Anyway, enough with the introductions!

I received the E10 today, and a noise got me worried. Has anyone else noticed a low frequency, but easily audible buzz like a small idling motor present in both the headphone out and the line out? Through the headphone out it becomes audible and distracting around volume setting 2, louder in the right channel, and gets pretty loud by maximum volume. From the line out it's easily heard through my speakers.

It's there with different usb ports, usb cables and audio settings. Sample rate setting seems to change the buzz frequency a little, but the volume stays the same. Bit depth does nothing. My uDac2 has no noises in the same setup, totally silent background. Otherwise the E10 sounds clearer and less harsh compared (just quick impressions). Any help or experiences appreciated!

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #279 of 1,324
What are the benefits of it being USB? I'm still trying to learn about amps and DACs, so all these FiiO products coming out recently are throwing me for a new one! I read the review, but could someone do a more of a tl;dr simple version of the E10 vs E7 vs E11? I was thinking about getting the E7 and taking the battery out and using it for my desktop, but the E10 has gotten my attention.

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #280 of 1,324

Quote:
Anyway, I'm also planning to use them with my speakers, which are connected to a stereo power-amp without a volume control. Now my question is, would I lose audio quality by connecting E10 => Power amp directly (and control the volume in the computer), or would it be worth it to connect E10 => Stereo Receiver (and use its preamp function to control volume) => Power Amp?

The later should give you a better digital resolution in theory, but having less components between the source and the speaker is usually more preferred. For simplicity, I'll go for the former setup as the difference between the two might not be that audible. Of cource the best way is to try both and keep the one you like.

Quote:
What are the benefits of it being USB? I'm still trying to learn about amps and DACs, so all these FiiO products coming out recently are throwing me for a new one! I read the review, but could someone do a more of a tl;dr simple version of the E10 vs E7 vs E11? I was thinking about getting the E7 and taking the battery out and using it for my desktop, but the E10 has gotten my attention.

E10 - USB DAC (= external PC sound card) with decent headphone amp that can drive most headphone under 300ohm to decent level. Can't be used without PC.
E7 - USB DAC and portable amp. Neither as powerful nor as good sounding as E10, but can be used as a standalone portable amp (with iPod, etc) as well as a PC soundcard
E11 - portable amp, no DAC inside (no PC soundcard function). Pretty much as good sounding as E10's amp section but provides a little more power.

The point of using USB DAC is to improve the sound quality of your computer, assuming the PC internal soundcard doesn't sound particularly good in the first place of course. Also, E7 battery can be removed unless you desolder it.

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #281 of 1,324
My PC only partially recognizes my E10 I received two days ago.

I can see the device inside the Device Manager's sound controllers, and hear the beep sound from the PC when I connect the E10 to a USB port.

However, I do not see the popup Window described in the user guide, nor do I hear any sound when playing music from the PC through the E10 into my headphones.

I do not know what to do.

Please help.

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #282 of 1,324
I am also loving my E10.  However I am encountering a small problem.  It works with Foobar (with WASAPI plugin-awesome!).  It works with Spotify, Rhapsody and Zune players.  It does not work with WMP12.  I thought I read somewhere about using it in exclusive mode, but I don't know if that has any bearing on this problem.  Running W7 with the standard crappy Realtek card.  The E10 is the default sound device in settings.  Also, if this is any help, I must close Foobar to be able to hear the other players.  Any help would be appreciated.  (FYI-I'm also waiting for my ZO2!)

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #283 of 1,324

Quote:
My PC only partially recognizes my E10 I received two days ago.

I can see the device inside the Device Manager's sound controllers, and hear the beep sound from the PC when I connect the E10 to a USB port.

However, I do not see the popup Window described in the user guide, nor do I hear any sound when playing music from the PC through the E10 into my headphones.

I do not know what to do.

Please help.

I got it to work.... I had to remove the cables from the PC's sound card, then re-attach them...

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #284 of 1,324
Exclusive mode means only one player can play music at a time by the way. I actually use wasapi event style but uncheck exclusive mode because it creates a delay in the beginning of songs.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #285 of 1,324
So...I still don't have an answer to my question. When trying to listen to Windows Media Player 12 with the E10 connected through the USB, I get nothing through the headphones-it only plays through my laptop speakers.  I am able to listen to Foobar, Rhapsody, and Spotify through the E10.  Again, the E10 is the default sound device, with Win7 (64 bit) and Realtek soundcard.  C'mon Head-Fiers, I know someone can help me out here!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back