[Impression] FiiO E10
Oct 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #227 of 1,324
rawrster - i used it to play my digital music on my father's hi fi, sounds great.  very solid all round, sonically, imaging and separation was decent, and the detail level was excellent..

to the shipping guys, mp4nation has been good to me - took a week and a half to get to my house (or a bit less actually).  i was probably one of the earlier ones to make the first preorder so i didn't get moved into the second preorder.  i'm pretty sure it's not their fault though, perhaps fiio said they would allocate a certain amount to them, then reduced that amount, causing mp4 to shift.

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #228 of 1,324

Quote:
rawrster - i used it to play my digital music on my father's hi fi, sounds great.  very solid all round, sonically, imaging and separation was decent, and the detail level was excellent..

to the shipping guys, mp4nation has been good to me - took a week and a half to get to my house (or a bit less actually).  i was probably one of the earlier ones to make the first preorder so i didn't get moved into the second preorder.  i'm pretty sure it's not their fault though, perhaps fiio said they would allocate a certain amount to them, then reduced that amount, causing mp4 to shift.

At least you get a free Brainwavs beta from mp4nation 

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #229 of 1,324
Here's a relevant question:  Do Micca and/or mp4nation allow for easy returns if your E10 is defective?  That might be more important in the long run than how quickly either venue ships your order.

I bought mine from Micca, but the headphone jack is intermittent whether I use low-impedance UE monitors, Grado HF-1s, Etymotic ER-4Ss or Sennheiser 600s.  This isn't an iPod-related issue of incompatibility.  It's a defective iteration of a headphone amp and ought to be replaced by the vendor.  I'm currently wishing I'd waited until the E10 was available through Amazon because their return policy is clear and fair.

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #230 of 1,324
Further impressions- the E10 is good but it's no life changing. There is still some noise (cuts laptop noise by 75% maybe) where my iBasso D10 was near silent. The sound quality is quite good- smooth highs with decent detail and the bass boost is fun without adding bloat to the sound. The price is definitely right and I consider it a good value. This did improve with some hours of use, notably the bass got less boomy. I returned the HM-101 as it only sounded marginally better than my soundcard- this however, is much better and is a keeper. That said, I didn't realize the Audinst was capable of running on USB power and I might try that someday.

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #231 of 1,324

Quote:
Further impressions- the E10 is good but it's no life changing. There is still some noise (cuts laptop noise by 75% maybe) where my iBasso D10 was near silent. The sound quality is quite good- smooth highs with decent detail and the bass boost is fun without adding bloat to the sound. The price is definitely right and I consider it a good value. This did improve with some hours of use, notably the bass got less boomy. I returned the HM-101 as it only sounded marginally better than my soundcard- this however, is much better and is a keeper. That said, I didn't realize the Audinst was capable of running on USB power and I might try that someday.

If you are talking about the Audinst HUD-MX1 then even without comparing the two since I no longer have it the E10 is inferior. The Audinst is better esp for harder to drive since there is a psu and you can upgrade it to something like a treads psu. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #232 of 1,324
Some further impressions:

Got my HD555s on Friday, so I had something decent to use for comparisons.  I also picked up an Asus Xonar U3 (basically a Xonar DG crammed into a USB stick) as a semi-impulse buy, so I'll be doing a little comparison between that and the E10 as well.

First off, the 555s make a huge difference in comparing my laptop's integrated sound to the E10.  I sort of alluded to this earlier in the thread when I compared my IEMs to my crappy headset, but the Sennheisers confirm it.  The 555s also have very little hiss, much less than my GR07s.  It's barely audible at max volume and high gain.  Sound-wise, the synergy is nice and the bass boost makes a noticeable difference in the sound without muddying up the signature like it did with my old phones.  It's doubly nice because the HD555s are a little lacking bass for certain types of music and the bass boost adds just the right amount.  So, overall excellent pairing between the HD555 and the E10.

Comparing the E10 to the Xonar U3, things get a little tricky.  Sound signature-wise, the U3 is a tad brighter and more transparent with a little more low end than the un-boosted E10.  The quality of the sound is nearly equal, and it's taken quite a bit of listening to pick out the slight sound signature differences between the two, which is surprising given the price differential ($40 for the U3, $75 for the E10).  Their main differences lie in their features.  The U3 lacks the volume control, bass boost function, dedicated line-out jack, gain switch, and coax-out jack that the E10 sports, but it does have line-in capability (mic jack), a S/PDIF adapter, and a bunch of fun software goodies like Dolby Headphone that make it great for gaming and movies.  I still haven't decided which one I prefer - the U3 fits my needs for gaming and movies to a tee and doesn't sacrifice much, if anything, in sound quality to achieve it.  However, it lacks external volume control and doesn't have the juice to drive anything with much higher impedance than the HD555s.  I can max out the volume on the Asus without hitting earsplitting levels and comfortable volume is somewhere around 60-70%, while with the E10, between 2 and 3 on low gain produces the same volume level.  I also prefer the design of the E10.  For now, I think I'm going to take the E10 to the office and use it on my work computer, which has an abysmal hissing problem - bad enough that I use my DAP all day rather than plugging into my computer there.  If the FA-011s turn out to need more juice than the U3 can provide, I can always swap the two.  Or take the Fischers to work...

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #233 of 1,324

Quote:
Here's a relevant question:  Do Micca and/or mp4nation allow for easy returns if your E10 is defective?  That might be more important in the long run than how quickly either venue ships your order.

I bought mine from Micca, but the headphone jack is intermittent whether I use low-impedance UE monitors, Grado HF-1s, Etymotic ER-4Ss or Sennheiser 600s.  This isn't an iPod-related issue of incompatibility.  It's a defective iteration of a headphone amp and ought to be replaced by the vendor.  I'm currently wishing I'd waited until the E10 was available through Amazon because their return policy is clear and fair.

Hi,

Defective products are accepted for exchange/return within 30 days. And you don't have to get the product to us within 30 days - as long as you raise the issue within 30 days of purchase and return the defective product to us in a reasonable amount of time, you are good to go. After 30 days, you can either contact FiiO for warranty service or use our extended exchange program. 

Jack

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #234 of 1,324

Quote:
That said, I didn't realize the Audinst was capable of running on USB power and I might try that someday.

When I had the MX1, with or without the ac adapter sounded the same as far as quality goes; it could go louder with the ac adapter though.

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #235 of 1,324

Quote:

This is good to hear as I ordered my E10 from them yesterday!

I was so looking forward to receiving my Fiio E10 today in the mail, but when I finished opening the package I could not believe my eyes! I was mistakenly shipped the Fiio E3 instead of the Fiio E10!
eek.gif
I have already contacted Jack about the issue and am just waiting to hear a response from him.

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #236 of 1,324

Quote:
I was so looking forward to receiving my Fiio E10 today in the mail, but when I finished opening the package I could not believe my eyes! I was mistakenly shipped the Fiio E3 instead of the Fiio E10!
eek.gif
I have already contacted Jack about the issue and am just waiting to hear a response from him.

Great news guys! The issue has been resolved through the customer support team. They were quick and professional. I also get to keep the E3!

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #237 of 1,324
Quick, probably stupid, question: can I hook up my speakers to the line-out and my headphones to the front amp at the same time or will it 'mute' the front out when something's jacked in in the rear (or vice versa, like Windows likes to do with front audio ports)?

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #239 of 1,324
Is anyone else hearing static and channels cutting out when they move the headphone jack?  If I bump the jack when changing the volume it causes static. This is happening quite often. I was wondering if this is an isolated incident or if they are all like that.  I would hate to return it and get a replacement that also has this problem.

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #240 of 1,324
I find the E10 picky with certain earphones' plugs. Some 1/8 work fine and some will have the channel cutting off if I move it and I need to twist the plug around until I find a right spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back