[Impression] FiiO E10
Dec 18, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #572 of 1,324
Sub is sound whereas buttkicker is not sound but physical or tactile vibrations, so I fail to see how the sub can drown it out.

Under certain frequencies, sound is non-directional. The sub would be used to fill in the bass roll-off of any headphones, to give you the heart thumping bass. If you are able to use subs, why not some nice speakers as well since you're not on a tight budget.

You're talking to the wrong person as I'm kind of a headphones guy, that is until I can afford a bit more and have my own place. I moved from IEMs to headphones after I was able to increase the $30-50 budget over $100. I will move to speakers when I can allow myself to spend over $200-300. Every type of product has a sweet spot.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #574 of 1,324

Quote:
Sub is sound whereas buttkicker is not sound but physical or tactile vibrations, so I fail to see how the sub can drown it out.

Under certain frequencies, sound is non-directional. The sub would be used to fill in the bass roll-off of any headphones, to give you the heart thumping bass. If you are able to use subs, why not some nice speakers as well since you're not on a tight budget.

You're talking to the wrong person as I'm kind of a headphones guy, that is until I can afford a bit more and have my own place. I moved from IEMs to headphones after I was able to increase the $30-50 budget over $100.

Well mr. panda, they both cost about 125, so what would you buy?

Oh and by "drown out" is that if the sub is loud enough, the "vibrations" it creates will be higher than the ones from the buttkicker, therefore defeating its purpose.

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #575 of 1,324
One is sonic vibration heard by ears, another is tactile vibration felt by your body. I don't think they will overlap that much as you say. It's like saying the shaking of a stationary car would be drowned out by the sound of the engine.

I would get the speakers+sub+buttkicker if the environment permits, otherwise headphone+buttkicker sounds good too. You can always get speakers/headphones at a later date.

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #576 of 1,324

Quote:
That is not an excuse, my friend.  This is Head-fi after all.
wink.gif

It saddens me that this is the truth.  

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #577 of 1,324

Quote:
One is sonic vibration heard by ears, another is tactile vibration felt by your body. I don't think they will overlap that much as you say. It's like saying the shaking of a stationary car would be drowned out by the sound of the engine.

I would get the speakers+sub+buttkicker if the environment permits, otherwise headphone+buttkicker sounds good too. You can always get speakers/headphones at a later date.

"tactile vibration" and vibration heard by ears? Well, you do know that subwoofers make things vibrate right? As in if i put it in my desk, it would be like an earthquake shaking my mouse, the buttkicker seems to do that, withought the sound, but....on my butt...haha

Guess i'm going subwoofer, its easier to get too.

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #578 of 1,324
So last thing; could you tell me how to effectively connect a subwoofer and my headphones to the fiio e10? Should I simply use both line out from the e10 and the headphone at the same time? Is it possible? Or from the headphone out to a splitter and then to the headphones and RCA in the back of the sub? Do splitters affect quality that much?

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #579 of 1,324
"I use a subwoofer with my open headphones (SR-225, HD650) with a crossover set to 50Hz so that I can get the realistic bass response (as we know, bass is way more than just sonic) while still enjoying the incredible sound quality offered by the cans. Also, 50Hz and under have no problems going right through the foam surrounding the ear, which goes a long way to mitigate phase problems."

^ That sounds pretty good!

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #581 of 1,324
Got an e10 coming in two days. I'm expecting these to be a step up from my icon mobile, but a step down from my former 2move. Hopefully my headphone jack works fine with my hfi-780 and westone 3's. Thanks for all the reviews and impressions, guys.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #583 of 1,324

Quote:
Sure, you can use the headphone out and the line out at the same time!

Yup, you can.

Used HO for Ed8 and LO for Lyr

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #585 of 1,324

Quote:
Anyone know if the current batch that amazon is selling has the new front silkscreen? 

It should, since they went out of stock on the first batch a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back