I'm new. Researched A LOT and still unsure. Looking for input on a short list of headphones.
Dec 16, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #17 of 55
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm (closed)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm (open)
Each one is currently selling for under $200.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #18 of 55
I own a Grado 125i and also listen to rock, jazz and classical music often. I was planning to buy the 325is as my 2nd Grado but the 1st really high-end headphones.

I got to try the 325is in our local store and found it, indeed harsh. I mean, it kinda hurts when I listened to the cymbals intro of Nightrain by Guns N' Roses. They are superior in detail over my 125i but I think it's kind of too much treble. (By the way, I listened to the track without an amp and the file is lossless. :D)

Now, I might also wait a little longer and save more money because I've decided that I'll go for the RS-1 instead. I haven't tried them but from what I read here and what people say based on their experience, it has a warmer sound and is a little bit better than the 325is. For me that's enough reason to buy it because I really find the 325is a great set of headphones albeit its harshness. I suggest go for the high end. I believe you'll appreciate it better since you jumped from a 60i to an RS-1i.

Happy Headphone Hunting!

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #19 of 55
Thanks Kiddomike. I'm still on the fence about this but need to decide by Sunday (it's supposed to be a Christmas present so shipping is an issue).

I think I've eliminated the Grado 325i's from contention but I'm still really torn between the $200 225i's and the $700 RS1i's. HUGE price difference, but as I said before, I am one to appreciate quality and the details in things.

I'm also going back and forth with avoiding Grado altogether. I have the SR60i's and love them, but something about getting the 225i's in the same physical package just seems like a bit of a let down. Yet, at the same time, going up to the RS1i's is a huge leap, which is why I'm torn about trying something else like the Sennheiser 650's for instance.

Currently my shortlist I'm debating between includes:

Grado 225i
Grado RS1i
Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD650

Obviously the prices of these are crazy different, which is making the decision more difficult rather than easier for whatever reason.

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #20 of 55
Tough decision. I have 3 of the 4 you've mentioned.
I really like the 225s for about an hour. Best rock headphone in the world, IMHO. For an hour. Then I have to take them off. I guess because of the lack of soundstage. I can listen to the RS1s all day. They are sweeter, but they definitely don't rock as hard. The RS1s lack bass, it's there, but not prominent.
It's quite a leap to the 650s. That's a whole 'nother animal. Not great for rock, though.
I love the 595s, but I'm in the minority around here. I use the 595s when I'm just kind of sitting around and want a fun headphone. I use the 650s for certain things and the RS1s for certain other things. If I had to pick one, I couldn't, so good luck. They're all good. I'd say for your listening genre, stay away from the 650s, they're okay for some, but the Grados wil all be better.

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #21 of 55
$700 on headphones? That's veering into Stax or Koss ESP/950 territory...and for rock, I find vintage Lambdas and SR-202s quite satisfying, but that's just me. I love clarity, detail, and atmospheric presentation. If they're not your cup of tea, you'll easily break even reselling them.

On the other hand, if you like the Grado fit and signature, a better Grado would probably be a safer bet for being in line with your tastes, instead of taking a risk on other models with different sound signatures and presentation.

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #22 of 55

Quote:
Tough decision. I have 3 of the 4 you've mentioned.
I really like the 225s for about an hour. Best rock headphone in the world, IMHO. For an hour. Then I have to take them off. I guess because of the lack of soundstage. I can listen to the RS1s all day. They are sweeter, but they definitely don't rock as hard. The RS1s lack bass, it's there, but not prominent.

So if I can listen to my SR60s forever, does that say anything about the higher models? I know it's not just comfort but about the sound which is why I ask.

Thanks

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #23 of 55
@Nameless - Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think I'm looking to get "earspeakers" for my first premium pair of cans. Certainly interesting to check out though 
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #24 of 55

Quote:
@Nameless - Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think I'm looking to get "earspeakers" for my first premium pair of cans. Certainly interesting to check out though 
jecklinsmile.gif

Stax may like to call their headphones that, but when someone says "earspeaker", I'm thinking of the Sony PFR-V1, AKG K1000, or the infamous Jecklin Float. (Maybe the Sennheiser Surrounder counts too, but I consider that more of a neckspeaker...) Then again, there is the SR-Sigma, with its huge earcups and drivers mounted perpendicular to the ears...

Regardless, I hope you find whatever works out for you, electrostatic or not.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #25 of 55
I really dislike Stax for rock, had the 404's and SR-X pro. They are fast, but not engaging, which is really the strong suit of the grado's. Btw RS-1 Lacking in bass !? It has more than the SR-225, did you also try it with flats instead of bowls?
The 650 was just a random suggestion for something totally different than Grado's, but I agree, for your music preference and the way you love your SR-60's, I would definitely look into higher grado models (not GS or PS though).

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #27 of 55
If you're interested in Grado sound, Sennheiser is going to be the opposite direction. I like the HD650 a great deal, but it takes large amount of power to "wake up" and deliver the dynamic range that it is capable of. Without really proper amplification, Sennheisers can be slow and rather dark. Most criticism of them comes from those who haven't run them through the proper equipment. The 595 is certainly more forgiving in this regard, and certainly leans closer to Grado in PRaT, but why not go all the way if that's your personal flavor preference?

The truth is, the RS1 gives you an awful lot of "bang for the buck" as it scales tremendously well out of ANY kind of source. They're spectacular when you pump a lot of current through them from a quality source, but really still sound fantastic in ways other headphones don't when driven out of just an iPod or laptop. Provided the line is clean (Apple laptops are, others not so much) you're going to get good dynamic audio with plenty of texture and that un-beatable Grado style guitar presentation. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #28 of 55

Quote:
I really dislike Stax for rock, had the 404's and SR-X pro. They are fast, but not engaging, which is really the strong suit of the grado's.

Define "engaging". I find them quite engaging for my tastes because of the sound quality, even if they don't slam like dynamics by forcing air into your ears.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #29 of 55
Looked into Orthodynamics a.k.a. Planar magnetics at all? HE-4, HE-5le?, HE-500 those are around that price range as well. Different overall sound than dynamics.

Also consider whether what you are looking at is closed back, semi-open, or open which in most cases depending on how they're designed  may affect soundstage.

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #30 of 55
Thanks again everybody. I appreciate the input.

@Mercuttio - you make another excellent point with the Grados in that they do work with a simple source (iPod/phone) but also work even better with a DAC and amp assisting the operation. In essence, they are much more portable than the Sennheisers or any other can demanding a lot of power to run properly.Certainly a benefit the Grados provide that many other quality cans might not quite deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back