I'm new. Researched A LOT and still unsure. Looking for input on a short list of headphones.
Dec 15, 2011 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

aldenhaley

New Head-Fier
Hi, so this is info is sort of posted in the amp section (but my primary question there is about an amp/DAC/both, so I wanted to put this question in the right area.

I'm pretty new to the world of quality headphones/amps and I've been researching headphones, amps and DACs for the past couple of days waaayyyyy too much. I knew my questions would be answered or at least sort of answered if I just searched around and as I suspected, they sort of were, but the more and more I read, the more confused I've become so I just decided to ask.

Anyway, I am looking to get my first "real" pair of headphones. Here is a little info about myself and what I'm looking for:

1. I mostly listen to rock music ranging from classic to alternative to metal depending on what I feel like. I'm also no big rap fan or anything but have a sweet spot for songs with a little thump from time to time, but it's definitely not the bulk of what I listen to.
  2. I own the Grado SR60is and they are great for the price range obviously (just a heads up. I like these but have nothing to compare them to)
  3. I will be playing most of my music from my new gen imac at my workstation. I do graphic design and sit at my desk a lot and listen to music constantly so I'm interested in higher quality sound than I currently get with my crackly speakers.
  4. I have no amp or DAC and will need one from what I'm reading so if you are knowledgable in this area, I'll take headphone/amp/DAC suggestions as a package :) Total for the cans and amp/DAC I'm looking to stay around or under $500. (asked more about this in the amp forum because I'm equally confused about this stuff, ha)

So, after my hours and hours of reading, I've come up with this list of headphones I'm interested in. I'd love to know what you guys think. I know everyone seems to be quite fond of the Grados but I'm not sold on the idea of buying a $200-300 pair of headphones that look exactly like my $60 pair. Seems kind of disappointing for my first "real" pair of good headphones, ha.

Anyway, the list:

• Grado 225i
  • Grado 325i
  • Beyerdynamic DT770
  • Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium
  • Denon AH-D2000

By the way, I am open to suggestions from outside of the above list. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback! It is much appreciated.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 55
I'm not sure I get what your are asking 100%, but I do appreciate a little bass, but I don't listen to rap or club/house music as a primary source. Like I said, I'm pretty new to all of this and I primarily listen to rock music, so I assume having "crazy good bass" is not my biggest concern.

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 55
I guess what I'm trying to get it is if at any time you ever thought to yourself you could do with a bit more low-end emphasis on the Grado.

If not, or not very often, I see yourself going with the higher end grados.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 55
After another whole day of reading and thinking about this, I think I'm looking to get higher end Grados. Now the question is to get the 225i or go big on the RS1...... I am pretty susceptible to upgradeitus, but $700 isn't cheap.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 55
isn't the 325is considered the sweet spot for grado in price/performance? I vote for them (not that it means anything considering I've never heard a grado although I will probably get a pair someday)

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 55
I'd actually consider getting something from another manufacturer and see what you like. Maybe something like the Sennheiser HD598 paired with the Fiio E9 amp (w or w/o the E7, depending on whether you really want a dac, or another dac the E10). That could cost you as little as $300 or so bucks. Then you can start comparing whether you really like the Grado sound; it'll give you a taste of something else without a complete departure from a Grado sound, since some say the HD598 is as close to Grado as Sennheiser gets. If you really like the HD598, sell the E9 (losing ten bucks at most) and get a better amp like the Schiit Asgard which I hear has quality synergy with the HD598 (or any other number of suggestions). If you don't like the HD598 and crave more Grado, then you know to keep on the Grado track, you can start with the SR225 or 325 and some kind of tube amp, even a little Little Dot I+. And then save up for the RS1i.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 55

Quote:
isn't the 325is considered the sweet spot for grado in price/performance? I vote for them (not that it means anything considering I've never heard a grado although I will probably get a pair someday)

Well after hours of reading about the 225i, 325i and RS1i, it seems A LOT of people think the 325i's treble is just too prominent to the point of being uncomfortable to listen to. I found at least 50 people saying the 225i's are probably better sounding, not to mention $100 less, than the 325i's. Of course, this is all just from what I read soo hard to say. 

Also, the 225i is closer to my original price point of around $200-250. On the other hand, I found a zillion people who say go for the RS1i and that it's a can you'll own forever and never regret. The question for me is will I end up wanting to upgrade in another year or so? I already own the SR60i's. If I purchase the 225i or 325i, I'll have three Grado cans and zero from other brands. Just seems a bit silly and narrow really, ha.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 55
Having owned both the 325i and RS1, the RS1 was truly better. Much warmer, intimate sound, I loved it with flats (ttvj). But the 325i was a great headphone too, and paired with the right equipment, bright, but not too bright.

If I could make a suggestion, sell al your grado's and buy a RS-1. Then look for another can like a HD650 (or the coming HD700?), to add.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #13 of 55
@imackler - I actually ordered a Little Dot MK III Tube after a ton of research. Seemed like a fair price. Not too cheap and not crazy expensive. I hear you on your suggestion on trying another brand. I forgot to mention that I do have a cheap pair of Senns, the HD448's. I've not listened to them a ton. I mostly use them as over ear portables since they are a closed design. I do know that the build feels quite crappy at best. They just feel really cheap like they may snap if I look at them wrong, ha. I'm sure the more pricey cans are of better build, but I can't help but think of the ones I currently own. 

@vvanrl - Yeah, you pretty much seem to think what I've read a thousand times now and once again suggesting what I've seen so many others suggest. Save up and get good ones and forget wasting money on the mid range cans. It's just hard for me to comprehend the reasoning behind a $500 price jump (from the 225i's to the RS1i's) as I'm quite new to the world of high quality audio equipment. But at the same time, I am certainly a fan of quality and can very much appreciate a well made, high quality product. (I went to school for Architecture, love all sorts of "fine design" from buildings to furniture to product to graphic design... and Apple products for instance.)

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 55
I see a couple of "Used - Like New" RS1i's listed for about $100 off the retail price. I've never really bought anything used before but I take it, it's a really common practice with headphones from reading about this place the past few days. Any thoughts on this?

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #15 of 55
Quote:
I see a couple of "Used - Like New" RS1i's listed for about $100 off the retail price. I've never really bought anything used before but I take it, it's a really common practice with headphones from reading about this place the past few days. Any thoughts on this?

If you're going this big, then buy from an authorized dealer and Grado will help you out for life if you have any problems. If you were to save hundreds, I'd consider used; but for one hundred, on an item of this cost, just buy it new, have some piece of mind and be happy!

On cheaper headphones or maybe from companies that were more lenient on their warranties, I wouldn't care as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back