I'm new. Researched A LOT and still unsure. Looking for input on a short list of headphones.
Dec 22, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #46 of 55

Quote:
Meh, too late now. I'll live. I actually won a Cypher Labs AlgoRythem Solo so I guess I'll be able to use an iPod with a really nice DAC. From what I read, everyone seems to love it. Might be kind of a ghetto half portable, half desktop setup, but I don't care as long as it sounds good.

It's ok, I'm currently doing the same thing for my HE-6.  Good amp, but no real DAC as I blew all my money elsewhere...

If you ever want an upgrade over the RS1i, HE-6 is not a bad option.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #47 of 55
Haven't even got the RS1i yet so I think I'm good for now 
wink.gif

Quote:
If you ever want an upgrade over the RS1i, HE-6 is not a bad option.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #48 of 55
RS-1 isn't upgradable imo (and many RS-1 owners), other cans are too different to be comparable. I'm sure you will be perfectly happy with it, for a grado lover, its the end of the line :wink:

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #49 of 55
I've owned and heard tons of "flagship" headphones, and none have ever captivated me like the RS1. I mean, I've literally owned four different pairs over the last 6 years. I always come back. 

More telling is that I think the RS1 has more fans than any other Grado headphone; it was even considered an improvement (and yes, I can dig up reviews) over the HP1 and HP2. I think a lot of the reason that the HP1000 is so inflated in the community is that they're rare and mysterious... while I do think that they do some types of music better than the RS1 (opera, for example) I don't think that the RS1 has yet been matched for the types of music that I love.

And it's a very good time to get one, as well... I think the RS1i is the best incarnation since the true Vintage S, A, and B versions. It's richer and better balanced in comparison with the two RS1 Classic (2003 ~ 2009ish?) models. 

Quote:
RS-1 isn't upgradable imo (and many RS-1 owners), other cans are too different to be comparable. I'm sure you will be perfectly happy with it, for a grado lover, its the end of the line :wink:

Oh, and to fuel the fire:

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #51 of 55
It's gorgeous in real life, build quality on mine was excellent too. I'm afraid they were just too uncomfortable for me, both with bowls and flats (I preferred the sound with flats actually). I might end up buying them someday again, but probably from this forum, because in Europe the prices are absolutely ridiculous!

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #52 of 55
Dec 23, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #53 of 55
Well I've been using the Grado SR60i for about two years now almost daily and find them very comfortable. At first they weren't great, but after the pads softened up (plus the fact that I'm sure I simply got used to it), I don't even notice them anymore.

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #54 of 55
I used to find Grado bowls uncomfortable, but don't anymore. I assume my ears are ridiculously calloused or something. The newer bowls do seem much softer than the old ones though.

Quote:
Well I've been using the Grado SR60i for about two years now almost daily and find them very comfortable. At first they weren't great, but after the pads softened up (plus the fact that I'm sure I simply got used to it), I don't even notice them anymore.

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #55 of 55
Coliflower ears :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back