I'm new. Researched A LOT and still unsure. Looking for input on a short list of headphones.
Dec 18, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #31 of 55

Quote:

Define "engaging". I find them quite engaging for my tastes because of the sound quality, even if they don't slam like dynamics by forcing air into your ears.

I'm not gonna define it as there already is a definition for it. What I mean't is that its like being on stage with the band, and you want to rock along with them. Its a combination of real life sound, not analytical in the slightest, and really in your face. But even if you disagree with me, are you really comparing stax with grado's here? They are like the complete opposites.

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #32 of 55

Quote:
I'm not gonna define it as there already is a definition for it. What I mean't is that its like being on stage with the band, and you want to rock along with them. Its a combination of real life sound, not analytical in the slightest, and really in your face. But even if you disagree with me, are you really comparing stax with grado's here? They are like the complete opposites.

It doesn't help that I haven't experienced a lot of headphones. (Or been to a live concert or orchestra or anything, for that matter.) While I did come across a Grado SR-60 once, I didn't get the chance to actually listen to it.

The end result is that I don't know exactly what people are talking about when they fling around audiophile jargon much of the time (even though I've been over the glossary threads a few times), and nobody seems to agree on what terms like "musical" mean. Audio's one of those highly subjective fields, after all.

I came here to increase my understanding of all matters audio, and while it has increased somewhat, it sometimes just leaves me feeling more confused than ever before.

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #33 of 55

It seems like you're already on the right track with SR325, you love rock and they are very engaging there.

Do you prefer guitar, or vocals? I think the Shure SRH-940 is another contender for your list.

I don't see any USB DAC/Amp's listed yet, or how much of an investment you'd like to make there.

Humm... how about the Uber Muzik Tiny Tube.

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #34 of 55
I have a Little Dot MK III and a cheap Fiio DAC for now (had to save a little money somewhere). The LD amp should power pretty much whatever so that's not the issue.

My original budget was $200-300 for the cans, $500 ish overall (including an amp and DAC), but for some reason the RS1i's are just something that seems like it may be the right move, despite the fact it would throw me way over budget. 

Most of the replies have been helpful and I think the RS1s are the direction I'd like to go. I just may have to wait a little longer to get that kind of money together, ha.

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #35 of 55
Look at it this way:

The RS1i will sound great out of what you have right now, but only improve with whatever you upgrade to in the future. That's the best way to get headphones... if you plan on upgrading in the future, why not have one part of your final rig taken care of now if you can?

Quote:
I have a Little Dot MK III and a cheap Fiio DAC for now (had to save a little money somewhere). The LD amp should power pretty much whatever so that's not the issue.

My original budget was $200-300 for the cans, $500 ish overall (including an amp and DAC), but for some reason the RS1i's are just something that seems like it may be the right move, despite the fact it would throw me way over budget. 

Most of the replies have been helpful and I think the RS1s are the direction I'd like to go. I just may have to wait a little longer to get that kind of money together, ha.

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #36 of 55
So true!

Quote:
Look at it this way:

The RS1i will sound great out of what you have right now, but only improve with whatever you upgrade to in the future. That's the best way to get headphones... if you plan on upgrading in the future, why not have one part of your final rig taken care of now if you can?

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #37 of 55
I think you'll find your answer, in the MS2i appreciation thread if you do a search,they are highly regarded, do most genres very well and sound much much better than the shrillish sr325's, but are often overlooked because most ppl have Grado's. You may also wanna check the very helpful comparo btw the MS2i and HD650 if you do another search.
The RS1 is a very solid purchase though...and will complement nicely with a smooth HD600 since you already have an amp and dac, though I do advice a better dac though...not that I'm saying the Wolfson in the e7 isn't truly good,but audio gd nfb12 offering is truly great and for cheap too.

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #38 of 55
In comparison to other Grados, I find the MS2i to be slightly dead sounding. It's all there and presented similarly, but something about them doesn't feel as alive. They were actually my first higher end Grado, many years ago.

Quote:
I think you'll find your answer, in the MS2i appreciation thread if you do a search,they are highly regarded, do most genres very well and sound much much better than the shrillish sr325's, but are often overlooked because most ppl have Grado's. You may also wanna check the very helpful comparo btw the MS2i and HD650 if you do another search.
The RS1 is a very solid purchase though...and will complement nicely with a smooth HD600 since you already have an amp and dac, though I do advice a better dac though...not that I'm saying the Wolfson in the e7 isn't truly good,but audio gd nfb12 offering is truly great and for cheap too.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #39 of 55
Totally agree guys. Think I'm gonna go for the RS1i's. Ideally, my dream rig would include very little equipment. Maybe a couple amps, DACs and cans total to cover a range of sound "feeling/experince" (not an expert on the lingo, ha). So, getting the RS1is would cover one of the two nice cans I'd like some day. Check that off the list.

Quote:
Look at it this way:

Quote:
So true!

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #40 of 55
Good decision, please let us know how it all works out!

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #42 of 55
I say it was a bad move on the amp.  Should have went for a better DAC instead.  DAC > amp when amp has sufficient power.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #43 of 55
Meh, too late now. I'll live. I actually won a Cypher Labs AlgoRythem Solo so I guess I'll be able to use an iPod with a really nice DAC. From what I read, everyone seems to love it. Might be kind of a ghetto half portable, half desktop setup, but I don't care as long as it sounds good.

Quote:
I say it was a bad move on the amp.  Should have went for a better DAC instead.  DAC > amp when amp has sufficient power.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #44 of 55
What I gathered from my years of experience

100$ headphone vs 1000$ headphone difference = big
100$ amp vs 1000$ amp difference = medium
100$ DAC vs 1000$ DAC difference = small
100$ cable vs 1000$ cable difference = really small

And everyone who makes a review of a product will tell you that whatever they just got made a world of difference, and its totally worth it.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #45 of 55
haha, great, honest opinion. love it.

I've only been poking around here a couple of weeks but what you've said makes total sense with what I've read.

Quote:
What I gathered from my years of experience

100$ headphone vs 1000$ headphone difference = big
100$ amp vs 1000$ amp difference = medium
100$ DAC vs 1000$ DAC difference = small
100$ cable vs 1000$ cable difference = really small

And everyone who makes a review of a product will tell you that whatever they just got made a world of difference, and its totally worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back