iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Jul 19, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #136 of 612

Quote:
Any chance you guys could list off some $200-300 IEM's that use a balanced setup?  Or is that unrealistic?

I balanced my PortaPros that cost 35 dollars and they sound great. They don't match my higher end phones but they still sound very good and I enjoy what I hear. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #137 of 612

Quote:
well since getting the protector was busted as possibly a scam, i went and ordered a PB1!!

What do you mean? The Protector works very well but maybe I did not understand what you wrote. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #138 of 612

Quote:
What do you mean? The Protector works very well but maybe I did not understand what you wrote. 

There is a seller in the forums (kubus) who may or may not be scamming people...check the big possible scammer alert page in the FS forums for more info, I don't want to post anything more here...

I believe debitsohn is talking about that seller, not the Protector itself...

Jul 19, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #139 of 612

Quote:

There is a seller in the forums (kubus) who may or may not be scamming people...check the big possible scammer alert page in the FS forums for more info, I don't want to post anything more here...

I believe debitsohn is talking about that seller, not the Protector itself...

yes sorry. id love the protector, but felt uneasy about the transaction as many others seem to be. i love all of the RSA products :)

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #142 of 612

Quote:
So say like Sennheiser IE8's
Who would recable them?  Or would this be more of a DIY thing?

Well with some more popular phones some sites will recable for you (Moon-Audio and ALO Audio come to mind here) but you could also DIY it yourself or getsomeone on the site to do it for you.

IMO, if I can I ALWAYS get someone on the site to do it for me. A) It's cheaper than websites/companies B) They get the same materials for less since they buy the straight materials in bulk = cheaper prices for me C) Why not help a fellow head-fier when I can get the same (or better) quality cable (talking about cables here) for cheaper? 

But it's always not an option. 

Of course with some headphones that have detachable cables (K702/JH customs for example) you might be able to buy a balanced option for them. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #144 of 612

The Hirose connector that iBasso uses is a high-quality metal connector and cost is around the $11.00 range.  I would expect that iBasso would be the easiest source and probably very competitive with anyone else. 
Ron

Quote:
never tried anything balanced b4 so sorry if this is a stupid question.  are the connectors the PB1 uses readily available? if so wheres a cheap place to get them?

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #146 of 612

Quote:
I find improvements in all area of sound, when balanced is done correctly. What really stands out is articulated well controlled bass, a much more 3D presentation and improved transient response. With the PB1 I hear this. 

I guess I'll just wait until I can afford to keep my RX and get the full Boomslang/Toucan combo 
smile.gif
. Glad to hear this amp does so much for so little $

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #148 of 612
Yeah I got mine in about 3 days, from China, which was somewhat impressive.  Is their website messed up right now for anyone else?  I need some more H10A-7P-6Ps (or H10-7P-6Ps) and they are cheaper than digikey (unless you buy 1000 at a time or something ridiculous).  I suppose I don't really need more until they release the DAC or I get more balanced sources though, so I can wait.

Anyone want to build me a time machine so I can avoid having to learn patience?

Edit: Their website is back to normal now.

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #150 of 612
Personally I do not think it is worth it to get a full length headphone cable that can only connect to this iBasso amp or the Albireo amp.  It shouldn't be that hard to make a short H10A-7P-6P -> dual 3 pin XLR cable.  Or to re-terminate your cable with a switchcraft mini 4 pin XLR connector and make mini4pin XLR -> H10A-7P-6P & a mini 4pin XLR -> dual XLR cable.

I'm sure you could get someone to make them for you if you are not confident in your cable making abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back