iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Jul 16, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #106 of 612

Quote:
any pics of the internal?

I took off the top for a quick look.  Most of the large components such as volume control, input/output jacks and battery with a plug connection are mounted on the top of the board.  Very neatly done.  The workmanship that was evident with the top removed is the equal of any high-end device, regardless of cost. 

I did not remove the bottom, as it didn't lift right off as did the top.  About all that will be visible are SMD devices, I suspect.  One of these days, I will completely undress it for a detailed look-see. 

Ron

Jul 16, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #107 of 612
what are my choices if I wish to get a pair of balanced cable for use with the UM3X (detachable version) for the PB1?

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #108 of 612

Quote:
what are my choices if I wish to get a pair of balanced cable for use with the UM3X (detachable version) for the PB1?

If that is the same type of connection like the JH Audio then Whiplash is supposed to be making cables and iBasso has some very high quality ones coming out as well as IC's for the balanced dac to balanced amp. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #109 of 612
Quote:
If that is the same type of connection like the JH Audio then Whiplash is supposed to be making cables and iBasso has some very high quality ones coming out as well as IC's for the balanced dac to balanced amp. 

JH-3A is an 8 cable system (3 active 1 ground on each side). There are also 4 prongs per earpiece. So even if the connector is the same, the cable will not be interchangable with the iBasso.

Of course, I would expect Craig nonetheless to support this market with custom cables...

Jul 17, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #110 of 612

Quote:

I tried my friend's Whiplash TWag cable and it fits perfectly with the UM3X. Do you mean iBasso will produce their own custom cables? Whiplash will come out with balanced connector suitable for PB1?

I will hold off my purchase of the D4/D10 for now.

Jul 17, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #111 of 612
Quote:
As it comes about. So far the PB1 is sounding very good. The first impression was so-so but as the unit burned in over just a few hours it opened up and became better detailed. There is very good extension from low bass to very nice refined highs. There is also a large soundstage in width and depth. These impressions are with the JH`13 balanced. 

I'm a bit surprised that you're even able to USE the JH-13 if the amp has a minimum gain of +6.  Or am I reading something wrong.  I find a gain of +3 to be too high.  

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #112 of 612

Quote:
I tried my friend's Whiplash TWag cable and it fits perfectly with the UM3X. Do you mean iBasso will produce their own custom cables? Whiplash will come out with balanced connector suitable for PB1?

I will hold off my purchase of the D4/D10 for now.

Yes, iBasso is producing a custom cable. I understand Whiplash is also producing one. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #113 of 612

Quote:
Quote:

I'm a bit surprised that you're even able to USE the JH-13 if the amp has a minimum gain of +6.  Or am I reading something wrong.  I find a gain of +3 to be too high.  

The gain is zero with single ended but when balanced is used it goes to 6db. I find I can use 15db of gain with the JH13's fine. 

Jul 17, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #115 of 612

I will have a balanced cable with my PB1 at the meet next Saturday so we can audition the amp with a variety of my balanced phones.
Ron

Quote:
I sure look forward to the balance cable that iBasso will be producing.

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #116 of 612
I heard PB1 for a while.
PB1 is powerful and dynamic, but a sound has coarseness a little. In addition, I might hear a noise with LCD-2. I think that the reason is high load.

It is Albireo.βCygni to like me with 3 amplifiers. The reason is a sound is very fluent, and it is natural.

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #117 of 612
I find the PB1 to be very true to the source. I don't get any coarseness or grain in the sound. I do find, as mentioned, that the source contributes much to the sound and from there the PB1 handles it well from hard blues to classical violin. 

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #118 of 612
Since I will be getting both the amp and the dac I am looking for a pair of IEM's w/ an user replaceable cable to mod into balance. I really wish the Westone 2 was available with an user replaceable cable. :frowning2:

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #119 of 612
I wouldn't get any but the Jh13's. I haven't heard the 16's but from talking to Jerry of JH Audio, the 13's are the most neutral. I know that with the PB1 the sound is excellent with out of head staging. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back