iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Jul 18, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #122 of 612
To my ear, it doesn't sound like any amp iBasso has produced. I am listening to Buddy Guy, "Blues Singer", an acoustical recording very, very well done. The sound is fluid and natural with extremely good transient response. The texture the emotion is very well conveyed. I am listening with my ATH-ESW10 balanced. 

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #123 of 612

Quote:
To my ear, it doesn't sound like any amp iBasso has produced. I am listening to Buddy Guy, "Blues Singer", an acoustical recording very, very well done. The sound is fluid and natural with extremely good transient response. The texture the emotion is very well conveyed. I am listening with my ATH-ESW10 balanced. 

Great to hear that. Question, is it worth it buying balanced cables for my 702s to use the balanced option or is the SE output good enough?

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #124 of 612

You should use balanced dude... the K702's should sing quite well.

Quote:
Great to hear that. Question, is it worth it buying balanced cables for my 702s to use the balanced option or is the SE output good enough?

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #125 of 612

I spent some time comparing the D4 and PB1 using SE in/out, as I don't have my adapters made up yet.  The PB1 reveals more detail, which necessitates good quality recordings and upstream equipment.  It also faster with transients.  The PB1 will, without mercy, reveal shortcomings in your source.   I would consider the D4 to exhibit a warmer, more forgiving SQ. 

The do not really sound alike. 
Quote:
Does this amp have a similar sound signature to the D4? I didn't like my brother's D4 as much as my RX...

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #126 of 612
I only have 75 or so hours on the PB1 but I notice that it has opened up even more with more low level retrieval and hall reverb. I guess the noise floor has just dropped more with blacker backgrounds. 

Jul 18, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #127 of 612
Thanks for the info jamato8 and HiFlight...still hesitant on pulling the trigger because I'm so satisfied with my portable setup already, but I'm getting pretty curious about the whole balanced deal.

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #129 of 612

Quote:
You should use balanced dude... the K702's should sing quite well.

I'll think about it later down the line when I have some cash to spare. It'll be a while but I know I'll be happy using SE :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The PB1 reveals more detail, which necessitates good quality recordings and upstream equipment.  It also faster with transients.  The PB1 will, without mercy, reveal shortcomings in your source.   I would consider the D4 to exhibit a warmer, more forgiving SQ. 

Great to hear that :) Detail and resolution is what I'm looking for.

I planned on ordering the PB1 last week and being one of the first to own it to provide my impressions but it looks like I'm a little behind lol... It was shipped yesterday so I'm expecting it later this week though and when I get it I'll post a review :)

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #130 of 612

Quote:
Thanks for the info jamato8 and HiFlight...still hesitant on pulling the trigger because I'm so satisfied with my portable setup already, but I'm getting pretty curious about the whole balanced deal.

X2

Not got into the whole balanced thing yet and not quite sure what the benefits are. Could anyone tell us how much better balanced is and why. Sorry if it's a little off topic but I'm really contemplating doing this if the benefits are there.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #131 of 612

Quote:

X2

Not got into the whole balanced thing yet and not quite sure what the benefits are. Could anyone tell us how much better balanced is and why. Sorry if it's a little off topic but I'm really contemplating doing this if the benefits are there.

I find improvements in all area of sound, when balanced is done correctly. What really stands out is articulated well controlled bass, a much more 3D presentation and improved transient response. With the PB1 I hear this. 

Jul 19, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #132 of 612
Thanks John, man this hobby is skinting me out...... Just sent my W3's to UM for 6 additional drivers so may have to get a cable for those and the JH13's.

Are you using the JH13's John or is the PB1 more for full size cans?

Jul 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #133 of 612

Quote:
Thanks John, man this hobby is skinting me out...... Just sent my W3's to UM for 6 additional drivers so may have to get a cable for those and the JH13's.

Are you using the JH13's John or is the PB1 more for full size cans?

I use the PB1 with every thing. It works great with the JH13 Pros. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back