iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Jul 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #152 of 612

I can't say about the T1, but the PB1 powers my HE-5LE and AKG K-340s effortlessly.  Far more volume and headroom that I will ever care to use. 
It is also a very revealing amplifier.
Quote:
great thanks!

question. sorry if someone said it already but how well can these power a T1?

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #153 of 612
Would I get good results feeding my iMod into the PB1 with balanced phones the other end or for the full benefit does the input also need to be balanced?

Also, what will you guys be feeding into the DAC when it comes out? Guess there's no mileage in that for me is there? or would that better the iMod between the PB1.

I feel a bit dense really but both balanced and DAC's are not something I've gotten into yet, still a noob really :)

I'm hoping someone can add clarity because I'm quite taken with the whole balanced thing and will probably pull the trigger soon, just not sure if I need the DAC also..

Thanks in advance.

Nigel

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #154 of 612

Quote:
great thanks!

question. sorry if someone said it already but how well can these power a T1?

The PB1 can drive the T1 easily. For normal listening level in SE it's at 10 to 11 o'clock. In balanced mode it's at 9 o'clock. There is plenty of power. In my first impression (built a balanced adapter today) bass and treble are more forward in balanced mode, in SE a bit more laid back. Will burn it in for a while ... Cheers

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #155 of 612

Quote:
Would I get good results feeding my iMod into the PB1 with balanced phones the other end or for the full benefit does the input also need to be balanced?

Also, what will you guys be feeding into the DAC when it comes out? Guess there's no mileage in that for me is there? or would that better the iMod between the PB1.

I feel a bit dense really but both balanced and DAC's are not something I've gotten into yet, still a noob really :)

I'm hoping someone can add clarity because I'm quite taken with the whole balanced thing and will probably pull the trigger soon, just not sure if I need the DAC also..

Thanks in advance.

Nigel

You will get the benefit of balanced output even with SE input.  The PB1 is operating in BTL mode providing a balanced output with an SE input.  Assuming, of course, you are using the balanced output rather than the SE output. 

I guess it remains to be seen what improvements will be gained using the upcoming iBasso balanced DAC. 

Jul 22, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #157 of 612

For those interested in adapter solutions.
I changed the original plug of the T1 to a five pin Neutrik XLR plug.
The adapter connects the iBasso to a five pin XLR cable socket using Mogami cable (2893 Mini Quad), which is thinner than the Beyerdynamic/Sommer cable Peacock MK II.
A second adapter connects the original plug to a five pin XLR socket.
Cheers

:::::::::::::::::
I used the following pin configurations:
For the Hirose/iBasso plug (from the IBasso site) - 2 Rch+ (Mogami/red), 3 Rch- (Mogami/black), 5 Lch+ (Mogami/blue), 6 Lch- (Mogami/transp), housing GRND.
For the five pin XLRs (standard configuration for stereo mic) - 1 GRND, 2 Lch+ (T1/green - Mogami/blue), 3 Lch- (T1/transp. - Mogami/transp.), 4 Rch+ (T1/red - Mogami/red), 5 Rch- (T1/transp. - Mogami/black), housing GRND.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #158 of 612
PM me if you want to make me a couple cables.  I have mogami cable, the connectors, Cardas solder, and a couple other things you may need.  Ill just need to pick up a XLR plug.  PM me for details and we can work out pricing.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #159 of 612
Quote:
I took off the top for a quick look.  Most of the large components such as volume control, input/output jacks and battery with a plug connection are mounted on the top of the board.  Very neatly done.  The workmanship that was evident with the top removed is the equal of any high-end device, regardless of cost. 

I did not remove the bottom, as it didn't lift right off as did the top.  About all that will be visible are SMD devices, I suspect.  One of these days, I will completely undress it for a detailed look-see. 

Ron

Thanks for the reply, Ron!

Is there any noticeable hiss with sensitive IEM?

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #160 of 612
I hear no hiss at all with any of the IEMs that I have tried.  I haven't yet reterminated my ES3X...they still have the Protector connector. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #161 of 612
anyone doing a detailed 1 to 1 comparison with protector? I hope more people have received it now, and more units are burnt in!

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #163 of 612
Look forward to your impressions when sober. :^)  Now is Pohnpei, Micronesia. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #164 of 612
Yesterday at our SW FL Mini-meet, we were experimenting the with PB1's drive ability and someone suggested trying it with my K1000.  Ha!  Fat chance it could even drive them to an audible level, much less a suitable listening level, but nevertheless, I decided to humor the request and lashed up the K1Ks. 

Believe it or not, to our amazement, the Toucan on high gain was not only able to drive them to an audible level, but also to a satisfying listening level that sounded not only well-balanced, but also one that was tonally correct.   This, of course, was done using the balanced output.  Of course, the volume control on the PB1 was nearly maxxed, but nevertheless....!!!

Who woulda thott???? 

Needless to say, the Toucan impressed all who auditioned it with my K1000s and K340s.   In balanced mode, it was also able to drive my HE-5LE's. 

In comparison, my *other* balanced portable did not fare as well. 

Ron

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #165 of 612
a very, very short A/Bing with my s:flo & K702 with upgraded cable vs. the slim.  SE output.

my opinion (may not agree with everyone else)

the slim is more forward than the PB1 to my ears.
the PB1's bass is noticeably more present.
Clarity is undecided yet.  both have very good clarity but i dont want to judge on something like that until i have more time to A/B.  Given the size the slim does a pretty good job of driving the k702.

opinion might change after i have an extended listen with both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back