iBasso Boomslang DB-1 & DB-2 and Toucan balanced portable dac and amp . pg 1, 19 , 25, 26 . . . .
Jul 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #166 of 612
@HiFlight and Debit: Thanks a ton for posting the impressions; I always look forward to hearing them. Mine should be here either tomorrow or Tuesday (I'm betting Tuesday) and once I get it I'll post my impressions when I have the time. 

Sadly I have 2 more weeks of class but once that's over it's all free time (for 2 weeks anyway lol).

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #167 of 612

Quote:
Yesterday at our SW FL Mini-meet, we were experimenting the with PB1's drive ability and someone suggested trying it with my K1000.  Ha!  Fat chance it could even drive them to an audible level, much less a suitable listening level, but nevertheless, I decided to humor the request and lashed up the K1Ks. 

Believe it or not, to our amazement, the Toucan on high gain was not only able to drive them to an audible level, but also to a satisfying listening level that sounded not only well-balanced, but also one that was tonally correct.   This, of course, was done using the balanced output.  Of course, the volume control on the PB1 was nearly maxxed, but nevertheless....!!!

Who woulda thott???? 

Needless to say, the Toucan impressed all who auditioned it with my K1000s and K340s.   In balanced mode, it was also able to drive my HE-5LE's. 

In comparison, my *other* balanced portable did not fare as well. 

Ron

Dang!  Now I'm more interested.  Now I wonder how it would do with the HiFiMan HE-6 which need a K1000 class amp.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #168 of 612

Quote:
Dang!  Now I'm more interested.  Now I wonder how it would do with the HiFiMan HE-6 which need a K1000 class amp.

That's how I felt when the stats were released and it showed how much power this thing has. I'm so excited to get mind and see how it goes. If this thing picks up I'm sure it will replace desktop amps (depending on the SQ; I've never heard a desktop amp before though). 

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #170 of 612

Quote:
Quote:

Does it mean the Toucan in non-balanced mode won't be able to drive the HE-5LE's?

No, not at all.  It drives them just fine SE.  I think, however, that  the balanced output improves the imaging and solidarity of the soundstage.  It is more 3-dimensional. 

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #171 of 612
I have been using my Grado HF2 balanced for a while now and the bass impact and slam continue to impress me. With the quality of control to the bass, the transparency increases and the overall realism is enthralling. I also notice that I am enjoying my ESW10 balanced much more than in single ended. I look forward to the release of the balanced dac. 

I find it exciting to be in fairly remote areas and still able to enjoy truly high end sound. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #176 of 612

Quote:
Anyone tried this with HD800s or Tesla T1s? Can it drive them to desktop amp levels?

As it can drive my K340s to a level higher than I can tolerate, it can most certainly drive the HD800s and T1. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #179 of 612

Quote:
Why would you do that? Changing the balanced to SE isn't going to give you the "balanced" results. Unless the DAC is ONLY balanced out which I guess you would have to use this for another type of amp. 

Sorry should have been clearer, I meant the headphone cable not interconnects so that I can use the phones with my other amps and not be tied to just one....

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #180 of 612
Said balanced cable was a DIY cable. I make my cables end in a 4 pin mini xlr and have short 4 pin xlr -> other connector connectors. (Hirose h10-7p-6p, the protector camera plug, 3.5mm, 6.3mm, and dual 3 pin xlrs for example.)

It is really up to you what you do with your headphone cable...  I suspect there are easier connectors to use than hirose -> hirose to convert to a 3.5mm or 6.3mm plug though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back