Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Dec 8, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #2,881 of 3,643
The Beats Studio have nice cancellation but the Solo line does not.  I have the Solo 2 wireless and while passive noise cancellation is actually quite decent, there is no active noise cancellation on them, nor is there on the Solo 3 wireless.  I do think the sound on the Solo 2 wireless is pretty darn good, though, but I rarely use them now and tend to use the Parrot Zik 2 or Sony MDR-ZX770BN if I'm going wireless.

Quote:

​Beats have noise cancellation.  It may not be quite as good as Bose.

I can't believe I'm defending Beats. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #2,882 of 3,643
I was as against Beats as you guys until Apple purchased them, but Reviewed.com called the PowerBeats3 both the best wireless in-ear they've heard as well as "among the best in-ears we've tested" (wired or wireless).

http://headphones.reviewed.com/content/beats-by-dre-powerbeats-3-wireless-headphones-review

The fact is we need to give Beats by Apple a fair shot, especially until the competition can match the battery life and range.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #2,883 of 3,643
  Others in the same category that I have personal experience with are B&O H8; Philips Fidelio M2BT; M&D M60; Sennheiser M2; ATH WS99BT; Def. Tech Symphony 1; Harmon Kardon BT Premium; XTZ Devine; Plantronics BBP; Denon AHGC20...

...all worthy competitors. And there are more--with new ones coming out all the time. BT has come a long way.

I would also add Sony MDR-1ABT, MDR-100ABN and the new MDR-1000x to this list.  The 1000x also arguably has the best ANC at the moment (yes, better than QC35). 

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #2,884 of 3,643

The fact is we need to give Beats by Apple a fair shot, especially until the competition can match the battery life and range.

Not sure what you mean by that statement - even my 3 year old Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 had 30 hours battery life.  I also didn't experience any range issues whatsoever in a fairly spacious 2 story house.  Even though it allows you to switch between sound quality (AptX) and connection priority modes, I always kept in AptX.

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #2,885 of 3,643
Not sure what you mean by that statement - even my 3 year old Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 had 30 hours battery life.  I also didn't experience any range issues whatsoever in a fairly spacious 2 story house.  Even though it allows you to switch between sound quality(AptX) and connection priority modes, I always kept in AptX.

Funny because the best most flagship wireless headphones these days do is about 20 hours, which is perfectly fine. But no-compromise wireless means headphones preferably sound better wireless due to a quality DAC, can last about a week between charges, and have a solid connection.

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #2,886 of 3,643
Hello,

Posting to head-fi after long. Feels good to gp through forums again. This time, I'm looking to upgrade my HD 239's and go for an equivalent or better bluetooth cans.

Budget - Would generally want it to cost anywhere between $50-$100.

Source - iPhone 7 | Ubuntu Laptop (ASUS UX305LA with B&O DAC )

Requirements for Isolation - I'm kind of agnostic about isolation as I care more about SQ. I plan to mostly use these while in school. But also for travelling (involved public transportation) or at office. It would be nice if they dont leak sound HOWEVER I can do with sound leakage if sound quality is top notch.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Preferrably On-ear/Over-ear.

Preferred tonal balance - I like more of a balanced sound but with hint of nice, punchy bass. I love bass. Not too overwhelming though. (Think Sennheiser sound signature)

Past headphones - I currently own MEE M6 pro IEM's and I love them. My last pair of on-ear cans were HD 239 and boy! do I miss them. I bought these almost 4 years ago and they gave up on me just a few months back. I absolutely loved the bass on those cans. Sennheiser's sound signature is something that I really love. I recently bought HD 598 cs but I am returning them as it didnt have the warm sound that I was so used to in HD 239 (part of reason being that 598cs was closed). I'm now trying to find cans similar or better than HD 239 but with BLUETOOTH.

Preferred Music - Primarily I'm a prog head (Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Tool etc) but I also listen to lot of rock, metal, country, blues and jazz. Love clean sound of acoustic guitar as much as that of a double bass. Flea, Antonio Sanchez and Karnivool are my goto's to measure bass abilities of my cans. Dave Matthews and Jack Johnson for clean acoustic feel.

What would you like to improve on from your set-up - I would honestly love if I could get my hands on cans that can deliver the warm and balanced sound of HD 239's but with bluetooth. I hate the fact that I need a pair of bluetooth cans (iPhone 7) but it would make my life a lot simpler. Hate the dongle overhead in my current setup.

Would also like to mention list of cans that I found intriguing over the course of my research so far :

Ausdom M05, M06

Sony MDRXB650BT

Sony MDRXB950BT

Avantree Wireless - Audition Pro

Naztech i9

Archeer AH07

Alpatronix HX101

Edifier H840

August EP650

MEE audio Matrix2

Coosh Extended Range Wireless Bluetooth

In addition I have a few more queries which I'm going to research independently as well :

1) Cans having aptX support sound better than those that don't?

2) Whats the advantage of getting wireless headphones that support NFC as well.

3) Does Bluetooth 4.0 makes considerable difference in SQ over Bluetooth 3.0?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #2,887 of 3,643
Are there any extremely comfortable Bluetooth headphones suited for the gym? Haven't had an in-ear in a while but am considering that route, though I am a bit skeptical I'll enjoy the sound as much.

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #2,888 of 3,643
Funny because the best most flagship wireless headphones these days do is about 20 hours, which is perfectly fine. But no-compromise wireless means headphones preferably sound better wireless due to a quality DAC, can last about a week between charges, and have a solid connection.

That is likely due to more power hungry DACs and amps being used, plus an emphasis on lighter weight.

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,889 of 3,643
That is likely due to more power hungry DACs and amps being used, plus an emphasis on lighter weight.

Good point on the DACs, a quality DAC is preferable to a more-efficient DAC. The entire package including the Bluetooth receivers should get more efficient within a year or two though.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #2,890 of 3,643
If the average user on this forum is so against Beats, then recommend a better wireless headphone in terms of sound quality, comfort, and features (while none are perfect) that can be found for less than the $220 I paid for the Solo3. I would've ponied up ~ $100 more for the Momentum 2.0, but I can't use those for the gym or working out, and honestly the Solo3 has a powerful, clear sound. The only real con to the Beats is that the treble is so laid-back that the ideal listening volume for clarity across all the spectrums is 75% I've found, which is probably causing hearing loss over extended periods.

Dec 12, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #2,891 of 3,643
If the average user on this forum is so against Beats, then recommend a better wireless headphone in terms of sound quality, comfort, and features (while none are perfect) that can be found for less than the $220 I paid for the Solo3. I would've ponied up ~ $100 more for the Momentum 2.0, but I can't use those for the gym or working out, and honestly the Solo3 has a powerful, clear sound. The only real con to the Beats is that the treble is so laid-back that the ideal listening volume for clarity across all the spectrums is 75% I've found, which is probably causing hearing loss over extended periods.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #2,892 of 3,643

The ONKYO H500BT is a solid contender, but it won't have the same level of style.

Dec 13, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #2,893 of 3,643
The ONKYO H500BT is a solid contender, but it won't have the same level of style.

Not a bad option, but I can sacrifice some style for sound quality assuming they do sound better. Many critics with the exception of Tyll are still biased towards Beats, and I think the Solo3 are probably the best on-ears in their price range.

I've found an on-ear headphone from AMG that whathifi gave 5 stars, but I'm not going to buy a dozen wireless headphones just to pick a favorite. Unfortunately none of these options are as well-designed for fitness as I was hoping.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #2,894 of 3,643

Why can't you use the momentum 2 for the gym? That's exactly what I use them for! Granted I'm lifting weights and not running on the treadmill.

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #2,895 of 3,643

Why can't you use the momentum 2 for the gym? That's exactly what I use them for! Granted I'm lifting weights and not running on the treadmill.

I have considered it, but it seems with their construction of a leather headband and leather earpads that it would get ruined over time with moderate sweat. Do they stay on the head well? I'd be happy to spend an extra $110 for the Momentum if the sale is still on-going but I don't want to have to shell out money for a pair of wireless headphones for home use as well as $150-$200 for wireless fitness headphones for the gym. Less concerned about use at the gym as I am about using either one for a run frankly.

I do see now that Sennheiser sells OEM replacement earpads, but they're priced at $35 more than V-MODA's replacement earpads at $50 for a pair. So really the concern is their sweat-resistance, fit, and how the headband will fare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back