Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Apr 21, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #736 of 3,643
  Okay, I got most of that, and it seems like proof that my way is working. 

On my smartphone, I have a 128gb sd card.. I load it up with lots of flac files.  My smartphone has aptx, and so does all 3 of my  headphones.

I like the sound.  According to your explanation, I am getting the best sound I can get across bluetooth.. Great.

actually you're saying that FLAC is useless except maybe across sbc, while wired or Bluetooth but with APTX a FLAC is useless, and i and my mp3 files win over grandpa ceholayman and his flacs.
Which is the only real secret reason why i wanted to talk about this.
biggrin.gif

There's nothing like making two opposing parties happy with the same post.
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #737 of 3,643
Looking for BT headphones w/ mic that retain what I liked of 2 pairs I've tried, lose stuff I didn't (including overall audio quality). Used mum's Klipsch Image One BT's when visiting for 2 weeks. I have really small ears & these were comfortable enough to fall asleep in. Only used for movie/audiobook, so can't speak on sound, but durability awful (hers broke under warranty, but now discontinued). In States, Best Buy lets you try stuff for 15 days & bring it back, full refund. Between $99-$200USD (what I'd like to spend) only had the Skull Candy Hesh 2 BT in store. (Rest Bose & Beats.) Audio meh (ok for movies), but love the tactile controls (raised plus & minus sign). No active noise cancellation, but could sit in same room as TV going & not hear it, also walk with 20mph winds & even audiobook was clear. Would use the dual pairing but haven't tried. Like the voice prompts. Like wired option. Hate the bulk & the blue light that constantly blinks. Mic for phone calls ok on both of those. Need to use with iPhone 6 plus. I prefer on-ear as long as they can tune out a nearby TV, wind, etc, but if not too big (& fits over glasses), over ear ok. A filtered Amazon (US) search for on-ear w/ mic, BT & 4 star rating left ~6 basic models in that price range. Don't want JBL, Bludio R+ legend or MEElectronics. Some Outdoor techs between $100-$150, but not familiar with brand. AKG Y45 (#11) highest on list, but only 9 Amazon reviews to go on. How are controls on those? For $50 above top budget, the Bose at #12 may be an option if audio being equal, all other features superior (especially if caller ID works). In over ear, looking at Jabra Revo's or Harman Kardon, but latter had reported issues of dropping BT on iOS mobile devices. Know if that's true?? So, under $200 with comfort of Klipsch but durable; somewhat tactile controls & side features of Skull Candy w/ out massive size & idiotic blue light. Better audio all around. Spend for Bose over AKG's, or go w/ Jabra or Harmen Karden? Or is there something on Amazon I missed? Thanks for advice.

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #738 of 3,643
Oh, interesting, i would have never said that such a thing as ldac (a new codec developed by Sony, which is supposed to be much better than APTX) could be implemented with a firmware update...

That's what just happened. No use to me but maybe in the future when Sony bring out compatible headphones & DAC/receiver ?

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #740 of 3,643
Looking for BT headphones w/ mic that retain what I liked of 2 pairs I've tried, lose stuff I didn't (including overall audio quality). Used mum's Klipsch Image One BT's when visiting for 2 weeks. I have really small ears & these were comfortable enough to fall asleep in. Only used for movie/audiobook, so can't speak on sound, but durability awful (hers broke under warranty, but now discontinued). In States, Best Buy lets you try stuff for 15 days & bring it back, full refund. Between $99-$200USD (what I'd like to spend) only had the Skull Candy Hesh 2 BT in store. (Rest Bose & Beats.) Audio meh (ok for movies), but love the tactile controls (raised plus & minus sign). No active noise cancellation, but could sit in same room as TV going & not hear it, also walk with 20mph winds & even audiobook was clear. Would use the dual pairing but haven't tried. Like the voice prompts. Like wired option. Hate the bulk & the blue light that constantly blinks. Mic for phone calls ok on both of those. Need to use with iPhone 6 plus. I prefer on-ear as long as they can tune out a nearby TV, wind, etc, but if not too big (& fits over glasses), over ear ok. A filtered Amazon (US) search for on-ear w/ mic, BT & 4 star rating left ~6 basic models in that price range. Don't want JBL, Bludio R+ legend or MEElectronics. Some Outdoor techs between $100-$150, but not familiar with brand. AKG Y45 (#11) highest on list, but only 9 Amazon reviews to go on. How are controls on those? For $50 above top budget, the Bose at #12 may be an option if audio being equal, all other features superior (especially if caller ID works). In over ear, looking at Jabra Revo's or Harman Kardon, but latter had reported issues of dropping BT on iOS mobile devices. Know if that's true?? So, under $200 with comfort of Klipsch but durable; somewhat tactile controls & side features of Skull Candy w/ out massive size & idiotic blue light. Better audio all around. Spend for Bose over AKG's, or go w/ Jabra or Harmen Karden? Or is there something on Amazon I missed? Thanks for advice.

IMO, for bluetooth, the Harman Kardon BTs are a good bet... However, new, they are selling for $250, if you can get them from Harman Kardon, but  Amazon has some refurbished and used ones selling between $100 and $150, with a rock solid return policy.. All the other BT headphones I would recommend would be over your $200 limit..

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #741 of 3,643
Thanks. Sorry, I know the thread has taken a different turn. The Klipsch Image One's belong with my mum & the Skull Candy with my 9 year old nephew. I intended to go back to Android, but got an iPhone 6 plus for Xmas which I couldn't afford to decline. No APTX for me. I was going to go $250 for the Bose, but they're ranked below a cheaper pair. Amazon has the Harmon Kardon's below $200 (refurbished, I think), but 2 reviews (out of 9) had them dropping Bluetooth on iPhones. Think that was just individual error? I trust the brand.

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #742 of 3,643
My bad. AKG's only had 9. Harman Kardon (which I had misspelled) had 200. Of those, a few people with iPhones having issues don't concern me. Sold through Amazon. Easy return. Thanks very much.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #743 of 3,643
My bad. AKG's only had 9. Harman Kardon (which I had misspelled) had 200. Of those, a few people with iPhones having issues don't concern me. Sold through Amazon. Easy return. Thanks very much.
don't buy the Bose, it's a very known problem that they have skipping music with iOS.
Revo is On Ear, not Over, and I think you should definitely try them.
The AKG Y45BT are so cool, but I've no idea how they sound with a iPhone or let's say without APTX.
But I totally love their mix of good sound and excellent portability.
The Harman Kardon are OK, but I also have no idea how they sound without APTX.
You didn't really describe the sound which you prefer not the music you listen to.
The Hesh 2 are actually not bad if you don't boost the bass (they distort if you do).
They're v shaped, so if you felt them cold you may like Harman, Revo and AKG. They're warmer.
Always cheaper than 200 the Supertooth Freedom. I really liked their sound.
They're over ear anyway.
The House of Marley can also be good.
But if you try to describe more how you want headphones to sound i can give you better suggestions.
The guys at TheWirecutter have published their new big comparison.
They pick now the Jabra Move, not anymore the Revo.
I find it a bit strange that they pick again a Jabra with all what's going on, and they leave a LOT of very important headphones out.
And they have this questionable tendency of counting the money in the pockets of people and pick only or mostly cheap ones.
Unfortunately quality has got a price.
But you may find some interesting things under 200 in their article.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #744 of 3,643
Apr 21, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #745 of 3,643
Thanks so much. I'd embarrass myself with terminology--it's been awhile (still were using Nagras when I was in film school), & I'm probably boring. Not terribly colored; want to feel the bass, but don't want to lose any midrange. Really into lyrics--they're already a bit lost in distortion on some of the early Pixies & Sonic Youth stuff--I don't want to lose anymore than the artists intended. Definitely don't want to feel like I'm missing notes. With those Skull Candy's, I felt like I was. Sorry--I know music terminology for playing the piano, and I could tell a cinematographer what I wanted film to look like, but I'm just learning for audio.

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #746 of 3,643
Although, it was Eric Satie when I felt I was losing literal notes on the Skull Candy's. I haven't done anything with an eq yet--just wanting to test what I'm getting.I don't listen to much classical, and that could be me remembering a piece incorrectly. They haven't been as bad as I'd thought, considering they come in camo. The size of the phones themselves just feels a bit wrong, look odd with small ears. With the on ear Klipsch, I could lay down comfortably at night. No blue light blinking continually. I think that somewhere between $100 & $200 I can do better. I'll check out your suggestions. Thanks so much.

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #747 of 3,643
I noticed the Plantronics Backbeat Pros are listed at #3 in overall excellence.. How are the mics on them for calling people?? Are they clear, loud & accurate?

I am down to between either Backbeat Pros or Sony MDR-1RBT... Any suggestions? It must have good mics on it for talking on phone (I use Samsung Galaxy s4). I like how comfortable they both are (over the ear)..

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #748 of 3,643
Thanks. Sorry, I know the thread has taken a different turn. The Klipsch Image One's belong with my mum & the Skull Candy with my 9 year old nephew. I intended to go back to Android, but got an iPhone 6 plus for Xmas which I couldn't afford to decline. No APTX for me. I was going to go $250 for the Bose, but they're ranked below a cheaper pair. Amazon has the Harmon Kardon's below $200 (refurbished, I think), but 2 reviews (out of 9) had them dropping Bluetooth on iPhones. Think that was just individual error? I trust the brand.

You have headphones that perform good on iphones and not on android.. Zik is one of them, but they are out of budget. They have a few according to reviews that are at the $200 range that supposed to be good. One of them is the Stance..

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #749 of 3,643
  I noticed the Plantronics Backbeat Pros are listed at #3 in overall excellence.. How are the mics on them for calling people?? Are they clear, loud & accurate?

I am down to between either Backbeat Pros or Sony MDR-1RBT... Any suggestions? It must have good mics on it for talking on phone (I use Samsung Galaxy s4). I like how comfortable they both are (over the ear)..

IMO, don't get the Sony MDR-1RBT, get the one after that, the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2, lots of improvements on the latter, including aptx and better bass, and some more..

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #750 of 3,643
  IMO, don't get the Sony MDR-1RBT, get the one after that, the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2, lots of improvements on the latter, including aptx and better bass, and some more..

How would I know? Amazon only lists MDR-1RBT.. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR1RBT-Premium-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B009A6D034/  ... It does not say if it's MK2 :/

Any ideas if MK2 is better than Backbeat Pros?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back