Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Apr 21, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #752 of 3,643
Has anyone used the Harman Kardon BT, AKG Y45, Jabra Revo's or Plantronics Backbeats with iOS (iPhone 6 in particular)? And I'll look at Zik. Thank you.

Tha Harman Kardon will work fine I'd imagine as they were Apple exclusive for a while. Don't know about the others.

How would I know? Amazon only lists MDR-1RBT.. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR1RBT-Premium-Bluetooth-Headphones/dp/B009A6D034/  ... It does not say if it's MK2 :/

Any ideas if MK2 is better than Backbeat Pros?

The MKII is generally grey market in America so might be hard to get it from Amazon unless it is an overseas seller. Ebay will probably have some but wouldn't know about the return policies or warranty there.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #753 of 3,643
actually you're saying that FLAC is useless except maybe across sbc, while wired or Bluetooth but with APTX a FLAC is useless, and i and my mp3 files win over grandpa ceholayman and his flacs.
Which is the only real secret reason why i wanted to talk about this.
biggrin.gif

LOL! The jury is still out on that one. Both sides of the equation are still only opinions. Both have merit and neither one can be proved wrong or right really though some tests would help things a bit. Comes down to each individual and what they feel is right based on their hearing.

Apr 22, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #754 of 3,643
Apr 22, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #755 of 3,643
It's 400 bucks though for sony mdr1abt.. how do they sound? I will google it up but I don't think I want to spend 400. both mdr1rbt and backbeat pro can be gotten for 250 shipped. 250 to 400 is big jump.

It pretty much comes down to how the mics are on these headphones. I'm not very picky about other stuff.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #756 of 3,643
It's 400 bucks though for sony mdr1abt.. how do they sound? I will google it up but I don't think I want to spend 400. both mdr1rbt and backbeat pro can be gotten for 250 shipped. 250 to 400 is big jump.

It pretty much comes down to how the mics are on these headphones. I'm not very picky about other stuff.

This one does have the LDAC support.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #757 of 3,643
This may be completely idiotic--In t/ Apple Support Community boards, I found an old (Nov 2012) post by someone w/ MM550-X headphones & a "lightning connector" they said enabled the aptX feature of t/ headphones to work with their iPhone 5 (Not familiar with forum--gifted an iPhone 6 plus but prefer Androids). They were using a "Sennheiser BTD 300 Audio EAST Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Transmitter". A link was provided to custom-cable.co.uk (not sold in states). In a 2014 post, someone else said an "Avantree Saturn mini apt-x Bluetooth Receiver and Transmitter 2-in-1" enabled the aptX feature of their Sennheiser MM550s to work with multiple iPhones (proven b/c the little blue light flashed while listening to the BBC, apparently). But how could you utilize a codec that's not available on the primary device? Are the posters on Apple's site imagining better sound, or am I misunderstanding some core concept (or both)?

Apr 22, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #758 of 3,643
This may be completely idiotic--In t/ Apple Support Community boards, I found an old (Nov 2012) post by someone w/ MM550-X headphones & a "lightning connector" they said enabled the aptX feature of t/ headphones to work with their iPhone 5 (Not familiar with forum--gifted an iPhone 6 plus but prefer Androids). They were using a "Sennheiser BTD 300 Audio EAST Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Transmitter". A link was provided to custom-cable.co.uk (not sold in states). In a 2014 post, someone else said an "Avantree Saturn mini apt-x Bluetooth Receiver and Transmitter 2-in-1" enabled the aptX feature of their Sennheiser MM550s to work with multiple iPhones (proven b/c the little blue light flashed while listening to the BBC, apparently). But how could you utilize a codec that's not available on the primary device? Are the posters on Apple's site imagining better sound, or am I misunderstanding some core concept (or both)?

I don't know how it works on an iPhone but adding an aptx dongle to your laptop will easily override the internal bluetooth chip if you use the software that comes with the dongle. Disabling the internal bluetooth also helps in that regard. perhaps the iPhone can be programmed to work the same way?

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #760 of 3,643
I don't know how it works on an iPhone but adding an aptx dongle to your laptop will easily override the internal bluetooth chip if you use the software that comes with the dongle. Disabling the internal bluetooth also helps in that regard. perhaps the iPhone can be programmed to work the same way?

Given that to get aptx working on Windows requires the proprietary CSR drivers, I can't see how plugging in the dongle to a phone with a lightning>USB cable would do any good without somehow implementing the drivers in iOS.

You could simply get a 3.5mm bluetooth transmitter that supports aptx and use that.

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #761 of 3,643
Given that to get aptx working on Windows requires the proprietary CSR drivers, I can't see how plugging in the dongle to a phone with a lightning>USB cable would do any good without somehow implementing the drivers in iOS.

You could simply get a 3.5mm bluetooth transmitter that supports aptx and use that.

Yes a 3.5mm dongle would be a better option. iOS is a lot more restrictive when it comes to trying to get usb devices working then Android (though I've never felt the need to try connecting a usb dongle with an OTG cable to see if that works).

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #762 of 3,643
One of them is the Stance..

Well said! I had forgotten them.
Now that I've updated my "in order of excellence" list and put the Stance S1+ on the fifth place, I'll not forget again:)
Yes, the Pendulumic Stance S1+ would be a very good option, much better than the Harman Kardon, unless you plan to boost the bass with the EQ a lot (which the HK do better than the Stance).
Otherwise the Stance sound much more open and lively.
Much better than the House of Marley too, unless you want the boosted bass of the Marley over the better Sound Quality of the Stance.
Also better than the Akg Y45, apart for the less portability.
More on par with the Supertooth, but with a more refined sound over the more funny one of the Freedom.

Comes down to each individual and what they feel is right based on their hearing.

Or their bad hearing :D

It's 400 bucks though for sony mdr1abt.. how do they sound?
It pretty much comes down to how the mics are on these headphones.

The Plantronics are really good for calls. Which is to be expected by a company mostly specialized in that.
The MDR-1RBTMK2 are in Amazon. I just did a search for MDR-1RBT and the second result are the mk2.
Some people like more the Plantronics, some the Sony. You will never ever get a final response with this.
Must try yourself.

This one does have the LDAC support.
yes but he would need a ldac source too.

Not necessarily. The Sennheiser BTD500 and the creative bt-d1, and the future Avantree low latency APTX dongle, do not depend on the system and so not need to have any csr software or driver installed. They've got all incorporated (that's why they're a bit bigger that other dongles, but better too).
There are several dongles for iPhone, you find them in the official aptx website.

Yes a 3.5mm dongle would be a better option
if those dongles for iPhone (which connect to that proprietary connection on the bottom of the phone) are still available they're a better option because the audio would not be converted to analog and again to digital.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #763 of 3,643
Not necessarily. The Sennheiser BTD500 and the creative bt-d1, and the future Avantree low latency APTX dongle, do not depend on the system and so not need to have any csr software or driver installed. They've got all incorporated (that's why they're a bit bigger that other dongles, but better too).
There are several dongles for iPhone, you find them in the official aptx website.

You must have missed the last sentence of my post. Given the talk about a lightning cable, I had (incorrectly) assumed they were talking about a USB OTG cable like many people use with DACs. Looking back, the Sennheiser product referenced uses a conventional 3.5 mm audio connector. I'm not sure why they would need a lightning connector in that case though. 

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #764 of 3,643
it was the same guy who wrote to your support ten times to push them releasing a firmware update to solve the problem with the iOS, dear Mr Bose.
So, don't complain with me, I gave you the chance to make it better :wink:
And my review in Amazon is still the to voted, for if you wanted to thank.

Not terribly colored; I don't want to lose anymore than the artists intended. Definitely don't want to feel like I'm missing notes. With those Skull Candy's, I felt like I was
the Hesh are a basic headphone. I said they're not so bad,i didn't say they're particularly good:)
They don't reach the knees of the other ones suggested to you.
With the Marley you could miss some high notes if you don't EQ.
With the akg you'll not miss any note.
Supertooth same story.
Pendulumic even better.
But they're both over ear.
HK also.
Revo, they're also very good. I don't feel they can compete with the others on an APTX system, but with iphone they could gain points.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #765 of 3,643
The Plantronics are really good for calls. Which is to be expected by a company mostly specialized in that.
The MDR-1RBTMK2 are in Amazon. I just did a search for MDR-1RBT and the second result are the mk2.
Some people like more the Plantronics, some the Sony. You will never ever get a final response with this.
Must try yourself.

What about you? Did you try the MK2? You obviously know significantly more about headphones than I do and can judge better than most here. I need your personal opinion since you reviewed both. There is no right or wrong answer.

Did you try the mics for both the 1RBT and Plantronics? If so, which was better? Slightly better or definitely noticeable? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back