Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Sep 6, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #2,581 of 3,643
I had the chance to try a few more bass heavy headphones over the last couple of months including the B&O H8's, B&W P5's and more recently the Onkyo H500BT's.

I'll start with the H8's which I tested along side the H7's at my local B&O store; as I expected the build quality is outstanding and they're certainly one of the best looking headphones I've seen, they look great in black & tan!

Comfort wise they're pretty good with a decent clamping force on my smallish head (for me they could have been a touch tighter but for most Id imagine they'd be perfect), the ear pads are very soft and even with glasses they didn't seem to exert any unwanted pressure. Obviously trying them in store I wasn't able to test them over a prolonged period but I cant see anyone having too much trouble with them comfort wise. The only thing worth mentioning is that the headband padding wasn't very soft and although the headphones don't weigh a huge amount I could feel some pressure on the top of my head.

Now to the sound; I was actually quite surprised at how bassy they were, great depth with a good amount of weight! The bass was certainly boosted but they didn't sound overly boomy. The mids and highs were also quite present but they lacked a bit of warmth which is something I really look for in a set of headphones.

Unfortunately the ANC introduced quite noticable hiss and seemed to reduce the mids and highs making them sound less forward.

The H7's were very similar in most respects but really lacked the deep bass of the H8's so were quickly put down.

The B&W P5's again were very well put together and felt like a really premium product. They were very cushiony and had a more comfortable headband than the H8's but they did create a small amount of pressure from the cups when wearing glasses.

The sound was very similar to the H8's, perhaps a little warmer and a little less sub bass, and maybe slightly more rolled off highs.

Now to the Onkyo H500BT's, these were my latest purchase after reading some positive comments from 'Sonic Defender' recently. I heard of them a while ago when Giogio mentioned he was testing them but I'd been waiting to hear his comments, which sadly Im not sure we will ever hear now (please come back Giogio, we miss you!). I also have a high end A/V receiver from Onkyo which I highly rate so I was quite optimistic with how the H500BT's would perform....I wasn't wrong, they're now my favourite wireless cans by far!!

Firstly they have a very minimal look which I really like, and although they're mainly constructed of plastic they certainly don't feel cheap! They may not quite have the premium feel of the H8's or P5's but don't forget they're a fraction of the price, I actually paid £135 (new) here in the UK which is astonishing considering their performance!

They remind me a lot of the Philips Fidelio M2BT's which until now have been my favourite sounding bluetooth headphones out of the ones I've tested to date (here's a link to those reviews http://www.head-fi.org/t/746519/huge-comparison-of-almost-all-the-best-bluetooth-headphones-post-your-own-comparisons-here/1545 ). I think the Fidelio's may still just pip the Onkyo's to the post in terms of sound quality and signature but the philips are majorly lacking in other areas! They both render bass frequencies very well without eating into the mids and they both have a lovely warm, rich, clean signature which renders vocals beautifully. The Fidelio's certainly have a deeper sub bass but the Onkyo's were surprisingly close in this respect and they both have a nice punch to them with little sign of boosting. Where the Onkyo's couldn't quite match the sub bass of the Fidelio's they did out perform them with their highs, but again only just!

They may be very similar in sound signature but the Onkyo's really outshone the Fidelio's in almost every other respect! Although they're almost identical in size and shape I found the Onkyo's much more comfortable over a prolonged period, probably due to the fact that they have much less clamping force and seem to exert pressure in a much more forgiving way. The Bluetooth performance was also spot on with no hint of drop out and very minimal hiss which is a real bugbear of mine! The Fidelio's had very poor Bluetooth performance with regular drop outs and quite noticeable hiss, as well as an annoying buzz in the left earpiece on the two units I tested!

The Onkyo H500BT's have now replaced my Sony XB950BT's as my go to wireless headphones which says a lot as the Sony's have until now been the ones that have ticked the most boxes in the areas most important to me. Bare in mind though that my main use has been for movies which benefit from a signature that renders dialog in a certain way and means that I may prioritise certain aspects more so than if I was listening to music! I know there are many people who don't rate the 950's but after significant burn in and BillP's mods they still sound great with music too. However they always had a slight veil to them and although I loved their comfort, cleanness, sub bass, smooth rich sound and rock solid bluetooth connection I was always on the lookout for something more. The Onkyo's share many of 950's and Fidelio's positives but lack any of their negatives making them a truly special set of cans!!

I now have my Sony XB950's available for sale if anyone's interested? They're in pristine condition having never been taken out of the house. As mentioned I've carried out BillP's mods and I think they now sound pretty awesome!

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #2,582 of 3,643
So the one I use is a Bluetooth 4 dongle by IOGear. https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU521/dp/B007GFX0PY

Pretty cheap, works on Mac OS and Windows. I just got my Sony MDR-1ABTs (which are fantastic btw, absolutely the perfect choice for me). I can't tell the difference between that and pairing with my MacBook Air in terms of audio quality, which AFAIK uses AptX. I also did a Skype test call and, yes, the microphone and headphones work simultaneously during a call. However, the microphone is horrendous so I wouldn't ever bother using it for that purpose. I suppose it might be better with a different set of bluetooth headphones, but I can't compare unfortunately. All I can say is that it is definitely possible to use both the mic and headphones at the same time, though the quality is questionable.

I bought Avantree DG50
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G3J1I5M

Sennheiser BTD 800
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PV00NHE

Plugable USB Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Micro Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZIILLI

I will keep 1 and return other 2.. preferably DG50 since it is aptx but will see how it works for skype.

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #2,583 of 3,643

That is a very subjective thing and who knows if anybody else would hear it the same as Giogio. I for one didn't find the sound on the ATH WS99BT got much better with the HM5 pads on, I barely noticed a difference, but Giogio thought the difference was night and day.

Edit: as well, comparing large numbers of headphones is almost impossible to do, no matter how hard we try. Science has shown that audio memory is very innacurate and short-lived so if the differences in character are subtle it really is hard to go between headphones and have great confidence in detecting/describing subtle differences. Now if the differences were very obvious, as some of them would be, yes we can detect those and remember them very easily, but taking notes and trying to compare 100 headphones  is not going to yield any increase in accuracy, if anything it is simply too much.

I think even Giogio said as much and that he was going to describe the sound more than compare.

I agree with your point about subjectivity and also recall Giogio not sharing your fondness the H7. This is a bit of a moot point though - if we all had identical preferences, there would only be one pair of headphones on the market and this forum wouldn't exist.

In fact, I had my share of disagreements (and even a couple of 'run-ins') with him early in his journey.  Interestingly, I found that the further he progressed in his search for the perfect BT headphone, the closer his impressions and preferences started resemble my own, even though I won't be able to listen to the same number of headphones in my lifetime (nor do I want to).

Having said that, all things being equal, I would be more likely to follow a recommendation from someone who's compared over 100 headphones, than someone who's tested say 10.

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #2,584 of 3,643
Having said that, all things being equal, I would be more likely to follow a recommendation from someone who's compared over 100 headphones, than someone who's tested say 10.

Yes and no for me, it would still ultimately depend on how our preferences aligned or didn't. Simply listening to tons of headphones in a compressed period of time doesn't for sure give you anymore "true" insight. I think it would be an overload frankly, and as I said, science has proven that audio memory such as we use in these forums is really not that powerful so the more cross-impressions you try to form, frankly, the more you can just be hearing things as being more different or similar than they are.

I think it was an interesting thing to try and far be it from me to tell others what or who they should take advice from, I'm simply offering my perspective, nothing more, nothing less.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,585 of 3,643
This thread will become even more highly read if the iPhone 7, to be announced tomorrow, indeed dispenses with the headphone jack as rumored in favor of wireless connections. They are said to also be releasing a wireless version of the Apple EarPods.

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #2,586 of 3,643
In reference to my earlier post comparing the Onkyo H500BT and the Philips Fidelio M2BT, it turns out they're both produced under the 'Gibson Innovations' name and they both share exactly the same frequency response - 7Hz-23.5kHz....this possibly explains their similarities?

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #2,588 of 3,643
Has anyone tried the MDR 1000x. I've got a pair and frankly they are among the best BT I've ever had.

Are they better than the Sennheiser M2W if you tried those? I don't mean the noise cancelling, which I don't use, but sound quality and mic quality??

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2,589 of 3,643
In reference to my earlier post comparing the Onkyo H500BT and the Philips Fidelio M2BT, it turns out they're both produced under the 'Gibson Innovations' name and they both share exactly the same frequency response - 7Hz-23.5kHz....this possibly explains their similarities?

https://www.gibsoninnovations.com/en/home

"ABOUT GIBSON INNOVATIONS

Part of Gibson Brands Inc., one of the world’s leading music lifestyle companies, Gibson Innovations focuses on great sound quality, advanced technology and sophisticated design to improve the entertainment experience. Our portfolio of brands includes Philips, Philips Fidelio, GoGear, Trainer, Onkyo and Gibson. Our ambition is to become the world’s #1 music lifestyle company."

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #2,591 of 3,643
Sep 10, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #2,592 of 3,643
Well guys, I have a big choice to make here..

Either, I can keep the Momentum 2 wireless or return them and wait for Sony MDR1000x. My 15-day return ends next Thursday on momentum 2 wireless.. I like the momentum 2 wireless a lot, but could the MDR1000x be better?? Hmmm, it's a tough choice to make here.. I don't really care about noise cancellation - sound and mic quality are the only 2 things that matter to me.. Any suggestions?

Sep 10, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #2,593 of 3,643
Well guys, I have a big choice to make here..

Either, I can keep the Momentum 2 wireless or return them and wait for Sony MDR1000x. My 15-day return ends next Thursday on momentum 2 wireless.. I like the momentum 2 wireless a lot, but could the MDR1000x be better?? Hmmm, it's a tough choice to make here.. I don't really care about noise cancellation - sound and mic quality are the only 2 things that matter to me.. Any suggestions?

Do you like the M2? If so, what would you like different, and would one of the other choices offer a known to be better mic experience? The Sony is likely to sound very nice, but the M2 I'm sure will hold it's own. I personally don't buy into that LDAC hype as I don't think in blind listening tests anybody can really hear the difference (sorry for mentioning blind listening, but I needed to give context). When is the Sony supposed to be released? If you are in doubt return the M2 as you can always buy it again after the Sony is released and compare them.

Sep 11, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #2,595 of 3,643
wondering if anybody has heard anything about these headphones cape rebellion. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cape-headphones-indulge-yourself-in-virtual-sound-bluetooth-3d#/

another question if anyone try the mee wave bluetooth headphones. more budget friendly and dont sound bad.

Also wondering if anyone know what happened gio if hes alright .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back