HRT MicroStreamer
Apr 13, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #92 of 109

Thanks.

Anyone know if it has some form of galvanic isolation built-in or should I use a USB noise isolator like Teradak clean 5V USB power to nudge things up a bit with power consistency/black background ?

This would work with porting the unit to external linear 5V power I think.

Should have my MS hooked up to this split power (red & black) and  data cable (bright red) with above USB port plug.....runs off mobile Energizer battery or wall powered Teradak USB power unit.

I think it is worth the hassle to get these custom cables when you have USB powered smaller DACs.... just good practice to get the device away from dirty notebook power etc. 
I never discovered if this MS has built-in galvanic isolation...anyone know ?

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #96 of 109
  Really? I have a 5S and with my W30s, T90s, and HD650s the uS is a serious step up from onboard sound...the 5S sounds bright, splashy, and thin in comparison.

Well, it's a serious step-up no doubt.
But compared to the onboard sound (which probably costs a couple of dollars) this thing gives me although detailed but splashy and edgy sound.
It all depends on the headphones of course: I use Shure SE846.
Or maybe my unit got defective, who knows.
I used to like the sound very much in the beginning, but now, after a monthly break, I can't listen to it anymore.
I'm using Resonessance Herus if anyone asks: much heavier and bulkier thing (and I like it very much too).

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #97 of 109
  Well, it's a serious step-up no doubt.
But compared to the onboard sound (which probably costs a couple of dollars) this thing gives me although detailed but splashy and edgy sound.
It all depends on the headphones of course: I use Shure SE846.
Or maybe my unit got defective, who knows.
I used to like the sound very much in the beginning, but now, after a monthly break, I can't listen to it anymore.
I'm using Resonessance Herus if anyone asks: much heavier and bulkier thing (and I like it very much too).

Hmm. My W30s sound great with it; I think it's less splashy and noticeably fuller than the 5S onboard sound.

How do you like the Herus? Do you prefer it to the uS? Why?

Jun 12, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #98 of 109

Hmm. My W30s sound great with it; I think it's less splashy and noticeably fuller than the 5S onboard sound.

How do you like the Herus? Do you prefer it to the uS? Why?

Well the Herus costs twice more to begin with.
Next, as I've already said, it's much bulkier to be used in a portable rig.
But, I used to have Burson Conductor SL on my desk at home and now it's gone and is on sale because I'm in love with this Herus thing.
Though it's a beefy amplifier and there is very audible idle hiss on SE846 for example.
And I noticed that I'm the first headfier to write a review on this unit which may tell you about its popularity (or the popularity of Resonessence):
http://www.head-fi.org/products/resonessence-labs-herus
Sound wise I found Herus to be punchier in the bass and nonfatigueing.
That's just my opinion though and I won't speak for all the microstreamers out there.

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #102 of 109
  Right on, thanks dude, I appreciate it :)

I'm curious about the concero, too; looking forward to your review (if you plan on writing one) :)

Ok, you can always read about Concero HP on headfonia too
http://www.headfonia.com/resonessence-concero-hp-canadian-dacamp/

I mainly chose Resonessence for mobility and compactness while preserving hifi sound.
I'm sure a good standalone dac/amp combo would kick ass, but I only like combos and now I also like only USB powered ones.

As for the Herus vs uStreamer comparision, I've just performed one.
My conclusions are the same: my uStreamer is a little bit sparkly on highs (many people would hardly notice that I suppose, because my ears totally can't stand sparkly sounds), and Herus has definitely more punch in bass and is gentler on highs.
But if you consider mainly portability, then uStreamer wins.

As for HD650, I guess uStreamer isn't too suitable for them because they like a lot of power.
It's Sennheiser HD, everyone knows that.
They recommend Tubes with them.

uStreamer is still a good piece of engineering and that would be fair to compare it to dragonflies sort of stuff, whose asses are kicked by uS as far as I read on the internets.

Jun 17, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #103 of 109
Ok so I want to do a concise recount of the time I've spent with the HRT Microstreamer since picking it up in May.

I started up having some problems with overheating and occasional pops/clicks during playback (I posted the issues on page 4 of this thread). I was a USB DAC noobie when I got my unit, so that affected my early experience. It isn't an entirely "noobie-friendly" device, not entirely "plug n play flawlessly". And that is the single "major" drawback I've yet to find with this lovely thing. The firmware update is a MUST by the way. Makes a world of difference to usability.

So after learning to be picky about software and playback drivers I started using JRiver with WASAPI "exclusive access" output. This together with 10ms buffer, 24-bit and forcing a minimum 48kHz output has really eliminated ALL problems I previously had. And that is how I think you should enjoy the HRT Microstreamer.

Value or Sound Quality per $ is insane (and that's when I got it for ~195$). And for me, the fact that you plug in the device with a cable and not directly into a port makes a BIG difference over competition such as e.g. the Dragonfly. This way it's much easier to set it up for use with a media center or stationary PC.

Overall a 4.5/5 (-0.5 for the slightly hard/noobie-unfriendly setup process and the buffer sensitive playback).

Oh and *BUMP* :wink:
I've started getting pops and clicks, too. Using Foobar with 50ms buffer at 48khz, and neither wasapi nor DS resolves it :/

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #104 of 109
Should have my MS hooked up to this split power (red & black) and  data cable (bright red) with above USB port plug.....runs off mobile Energizer battery or wall powered Teradak USB power unit.

I think it is worth the hassle to get these custom cables when you have USB powered smaller DACs.... just good practice to get the device away from dirty notebook power etc. 
I never discovered if this MS has built-in galvanic isolation...anyone know ?
Schiit USB Decrapifier ftw!!

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #105 of 109
Schiit USB Decrapifier ftw!!

Sure, I was just half way there with that solution before so easier/cheaper for me....looks like another great & simple device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back