HRT MicroStreamer
Jul 9, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #61 of 109
The microstreamer is a competent piece of gear. I tried this alongside the dragonfly 1.2, in the end keeping the latter because of it's smoother treble rendition and it worked without pops/clicks on my laptop.

What you're hearing may be down to the headphone as apparently it's not very good. Never heard it myself but I can point you in this direction;
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684135/musical-fidelity-mf-100-on-ear-headphones 

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #62 of 109
I have also had some random static explosions that are very startling and sound like they could hurt my headphones. I reduced the buffer length to 50 and I am now trying to update firmware. In the instructions it says to check the usb viewer to confirm the update but I am not sure what to look for in the usb viewer microstreamer section so I am not able to see if the firmware took or not. Does anybody know what to look for when in the usb viewer utility?

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #63 of 109
  I have also had some random static explosions that are very startling and sound like they could hurt my headphones. I reduced the buffer length to 50 and I am now trying to update firmware. In the instructions it says to check the usb viewer to confirm the update but I am not sure what to look for in the usb viewer microstreamer section so I am not able to see if the firmware took or not. Does anybody know what to look for when in the usb viewer utility?

If you have a mac around just go to: About this Mac / More Info / System Report / USB / microStreamer
you'll see something like this:

microStreamer:

Product ID:    0x0009
  Vendor ID:    0x4852
  Version:     1.03
  Speed:    Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Manufacturer:    www.hirestech.com 2013 Rev 1.3
  Location ID:    0x14300000 / 9
  Current Available (mA):    500
  Current Required (mA):    98

:wink:

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #64 of 109
thank you. I actually use windows 7 but I have lowered the buffer length to 50 and I haven't heard one of those static explosions in a long time. The update to firmware may have been the fix or the buffer length I may never know. Maybe I will audition the Dragonfly because I hear a lot of people are having issues with the MS and windows 7

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #69 of 109
Yeah 24, and I think that's a tricky question for sample rate.

I ended up leaving it at 24/48; if you don't, you won't hear audio in your videos haha. The HRT will take exclusive control of the device, so even when it's at 24/48 in Windows and you play a 44.1 khz audio file (with WASAPI), Windows will change its sample rate to match

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #70 of 109
Ok so I want to do a concise recount of the time I've spent with the HRT Microstreamer since picking it up in May.
I started up having some problems with overheating and occasional pops/clicks during playback (I posted the issues on page 4 of this thread). I was a USB DAC noobie when I got my unit, so that affected my early experience. It isn't an entirely "noobie-friendly" device, not entirely "plug n play flawlessly". And that is the single "major" drawback I've yet to find with this lovely thing. The firmware update is a MUST by the way. Makes a world of difference to usability.

So after learning to be picky about software and playback drivers I started using JRiver with WASAPI "exclusive access" output. This together with 10ms buffer, 24-bit and forcing a minimum 48kHz output has really eliminated ALL problems I previously had. And that is how I think you should enjoy the HRT Microstreamer.

Value or Sound Quality per $ is insane (and that's when I got it for ~195$). And for me, the fact that you plug in the device with a cable and not directly into a port makes a BIG difference over competition such as e.g. the Dragonfly. This way it's much easier to set it up for use with a media center or stationary PC.

Overall a 4.5/5 (-0.5 for the slightly hard/noobie-unfriendly setup process and the buffer sensitive playback).

Oh and *BUMP* :wink:

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #71 of 109
Well I just moved on from the MS because the issues mentioned above to a Parasound Z-Dac and never looked back, it's a vastly superior product,and for the price difference it should be.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #72 of 109
I just tried searching 'DAC chip' in the thread ...no joy.

Could anyone please tell me the DAC chip in this as I'm sure it won't be Sabre judging by descriptions of it on the web.
Thanks in advance....

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #73 of 109
It's a PCM1793 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #74 of 109
Well it retails for triple the price and is tens of times bigger, so I would hope it sounds better XD
Well I just moved on from the MS because the issues mentioned above to a Parasound Z-Dac and never looked back, it's a vastly superior product,and for the price difference it should be.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #75 of 109
Well it retails for triple the price and is tens of times bigger, so I would hope it sounds better XD
I paid. $299.for it but the real upgrade that it works flawlessly with my laptop,something MS was just not doing to well .Pops and clicks everywhere. I still have it though use it with my phone to connect it to my HU in my car .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back