HM-901
Sep 12, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #3,106 of 3,522
Sep 12, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #3,108 of 3,522
I finally sold my minibox card using the local classified... I warned the buyer that the card is a little harsh sounding for iem, but he still bought it and reported back that its better sounding than the discrete card with the IE800...i guess we all hear things differently.
For me i am just gonna be faithful for bal card

I prefe the minibox card myself, using mostly iems: cardas, Noble N6, both Ditas, and ocassional headphones HD25 or Viso50's.  I thought it had better instrumental timbre than the iem card, but the iem card was more open and a bit bigger stage.  For me, I don;t care how good the stage or imaging is if, e.g., saxes sound like kazoos!

I have not heard the balanced card at all, and am not inclined to reterminate all of my stuff or have to have adaptors for compatibility with other gear...  Just my 2 cents wirth.

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #3,109 of 3,522
I finally sold my minibox card using the local classified... I warned the buyer that the card is a little harsh sounding for iem, but he still bought it and reported back that its better sounding than the discrete card with the IE800...i guess we all hear things differently.
For me i am just gonna be faithful for bal card

Wow, you're that happy with the Yellow Discrete that you're prepared to sell your Balanced amp module!? I'm not too certain if I'm ready to make that step yet personally.

I prefer... to have... em...  all the cards :D  

Need.  Moar. Cards...... 
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #3,111 of 3,522
Minibox to my ears is clearly the most accurate, and best sounding card for IEMs. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #3,117 of 3,522
Sep 16, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #3,118 of 3,522
What's his attitude, PekingDuck?

Well I won't say its Fang's attitude per say (like that of the Schitt team) but more of Fang's pragmatic view that most DAC chips available today are decoding to pcm internally anyway and the claim of "native" dsd decoding (and its benefit) is questionable.

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #3,120 of 3,522
Well I won't say its Fang's attitude per say (like that of the Schitt team) but more of Fang's pragmatic view that most DAC chips available today are decoding to pcm internally anyway and the claim of "native" dsd decoding (and its benefit) is questionable.

Ah... I see. Thanks for the clarification, Vince. Well, as long as he keeps producing 901 and similarly excellent DAPs, no DSD from hifiman is not really an issue. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back