HM-901
Sep 8, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #3,077 of 3,522
Sep 8, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #3,078 of 3,522
My new setup.

Guys which card is best? IEM or balanced?

On a more serious note, for myself, the balanced card only makes sense if I have iem cables with trrs plug to take advantage of the balanced card. Whilst the balanced can be used with single ended cables by selecting on the switch on the top left hand corner of the 901, I find that it can be a little less precise with iems.

For iems, I do tend to prefer the iem amp card. It has a more refined sig and is airier. And thus very well suited for iems.

Do note that I have both: I use the balanced card only in balanced mode with iems with balanced plugs and for iems with single ended cables, I prefer to use the iem card.

That's my view anyway. Hope that helps. :)

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3,079 of 3,522
Kiats is correct on both counts.
beerchug.gif

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #3,080 of 3,522
On a more serious note, for myself, the balanced card only makes sense if I have iem cables with trrs plug to take advantage of the balanced card. Whilst the balanced can be used with single ended cables by selecting on the switch on the top left hand corner of the 901, I find that it can be a little less precise with iems.

For iems, I do tend to prefer the iem amp card. It has a more refined sig and is airier. And thus very well suited for iems.

Do note that I have both: I use the balanced card only in balanced mode with iems with balanced plugs and for iems with single ended cables, I prefer to use the iem card.

That's my view anyway. Hope that helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the discrete card and balance card too. Most of the time using my balanced card. I dont think I would bother to swop the cards each time. How u managed to bother to swop it each time Kiats?

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #3,081 of 3,522
I have the discrete card and balance card too. Most of the time using my balanced card. I dont think I would bother to swop the cards each time. How u managed to bother to swop it each time Kiats?

My apologies if I gave the impression that I swap with each use. I agree it's too troublesome to do that. I have both the 901 and 802 and I use whichever has the appropriate amp card installed. I only swap the cards between the HMs when the mood strikes me. :)

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #3,082 of 3,522
OK that makes sense.

But oh no, I was toying with the idea of having the 802, you just poisoned me. I almost have the same DAP as yours:

AK240, HDP-R10, HM 901 801 Tera player ZX1 X3 X5 .........

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #3,083 of 3,522
OK that makes sense.

But oh no, I was toying with the idea of having the 802, you just poisoned me. I almost have the same DAP as yours:

AK240, HDP-R10, HM 901 801 Tera player ZX1 X3 X5 .........

Heheh! I used to have the X3 but I gave it to a dear friend, music and all.

Well, if you like the organic and analogue sig you have with the 801 and Tera Player, I suspect the 802 is quite a natural progression. :)

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #3,085 of 3,522
Double confirmed - kena poison already.

( For benefit of others "kena" is a local slang meaning  'have been')

Have a listen first. I think AV One is now the agent. Just tell Eric I suggested you see him. :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #3,087 of 3,522
I had the ak240 before. But soundwise I think hm901 is better.

With that I have to agree. It is quite difficult to surpass the 901 in terms of SQ. :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #3,088 of 3,522
One conclusion I've come to over the last couple of weeks of using the IEM card and the discrete card: the Ref 1 can't be driven with sufficient authority by the IEM card. There is much more dynamism and depth in the music with the discrete card. Which allows the Ref 1 to showcase its ability. :)

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #3,089 of 3,522
Where 
One conclusion I've come to over the last couple of weeks of using the IEM card and the discrete card: the Ref 1 can't be driven with sufficient authority by the IEM card. There is much more dynamism and depth in the music with the discrete card. Which allows the Ref 1 to showcase its ability.
smily_headphones1.gif

Where can I get the discrete card? Anyways I do not have any 3.5mm TRRS cabled IEM so will it make sense to get the balanced card?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back