HM-901
Mar 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #451 of 3,522
ipod has great UI but average sound quality. Amping it does help but its still not up to snuff IMO and taking into consideration the bomb you have to carry around and the premium price. It's not worth it IMO.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #452 of 3,522
Quote:
ipod has great UI but average sound quality. Amping it does help but its still not up to snuff IMO and taking into consideration the bomb you have to carry around and the premium price. It's not worth it IMO.

I agree with you totally, but I might have to point out that, there is one exception. Ipod and Sony PHA-1, good sound and good value. Colorfly C4 level I would say.

Mar 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #453 of 3,522
Quote:
I agree with you totally, but I might have to point out that, there is one exception. Ipod and Sony PHA-1, good sound and good value. Colorfly C4 level I would say.

How much is that Sony PHA-1? Does it have low output impedance? What about the size? I thought it was a bomb as well with an ipod? Still the C4 is a bomb itself though lol :p.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #454 of 3,522
Quote:
How much is that Sony PHA-1? Does it have low output impedance? What about the size? I thought it was a bomb as well with an ipod? Still the C4 is a bomb itself though lol :p.

based on pics, i dont think the c4 is any bigger than the dx100 
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #462 of 3,522
The C4 does look a tad bigger than the DX100 in this pick :p Maybe slightly wider.

Hey, isn't that my pix from last June's Tokyo Head-Fi meet at ExpatInJapan's home?? I miss my UM Merlin's Scooby Doo.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #464 of 3,522
I laugh at all the size talk, just as on the Terra player I laugh at all the talk of no display! Why? Well, your looking at a fully paid up old bugger her, old enough to have owned the first walkman cassette player, old enough to have owned their first portable CD player as well. I wonder how you youngn's would cope with having to wind cassette tape back each time tou wanted to repeat a song or guess how far you are on the tape to find the next song? Or with the Cd player having to walk carefully as the CD would skip, oh and having to carry an A4 sized folder weighing several kilos filled with CD's so you can have a twenty album library on the go!

I started to write that half as a joke but the further I went with it the more I realized I am as glad I am old enough to remember such things as it makes me oh so more gratefully to the folks who have come up with what we have now, perspective is a great thing and all of this is oh so much cheaper now, even the high end stuff!

To think,thirty years ago whilst I was busy compiling songs from vinyl onto a tape that would be my compilation of favorite tunes for the train ride to college on Monday and that took me the better part of two hours to do, that someone from thirty years in the future would show up with something tiny in comparison that contained almost the full wall of my vinyl collection in studio master tape quality AND with tiny things that dissapeared in the ears and magically produced a wider soundstage than my Tannoys!

Well I probably would have run out into te street crying Witch, Witch!!

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #465 of 3,522
I laugh at all the size talk, just as on the Terra player I laugh at all the talk of no display! Why? Well, your looking at a fully paid up old bugger her, old enough to have owned the first walkman cassette player, old enough to have owned their first portable CD player as well. I wonder how you youngn's would cope with having to wind cassette tape back each time tou wanted to repeat a song or guess how far you are on the tape to find the next song? Or with the Cd player having to walk carefully as the CD would skip, oh and having to carry an A4 sized folder weighing several kilos filled with CD's so you can have a twenty album library on the go!

I started to write that half as a joke but the further I went with it the more I realized I am as glad I am old enough to remember such things as it makes me oh so more gratefully to the folks who have come up with what we have now, perspective is a great thing and all of this is oh so much cheaper now, even the high end stuff!

To think,thirty years ago whilst I was busy compiling songs from vinyl onto a tape that would be my compilation of favorite tunes for the train ride to college on Monday and that took me the better part of two hours to do, that someone from thirty years in the future would show up with something tiny in comparison that contained almost the full wall of my vinyl collection in studio master tape quality AND with tiny things that dissapeared in the ears and magically produced a wider soundstage than my Tannoys!

Well I probably would have run out into te street crying Witch, Witch!!
yes I used a huge walkman as a kid and my first tv had.mechanical buttons and three channels, but that does not mean I want to carry a brick today if I can avoid it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back