HM-901
Mar 5, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #481 of 3,522
Quote:
You can also adjust the volume with the screen on. That is only possible though once you've activated the volume control and then you attempt to manually raise or lower it. I do find it useful though when you want to raise or lower the volume on the fly but you should be careful though.

didnt know that, and im comfortable with the side buttons anyway, no point of using the slide bars since it sounds so troublesome

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #482 of 3,522
ya iam debating weather or not its even worth "upgrading" from my beautifuly sounding 801, with the infamous UI. iam very curious to hear that my 801 is more musical sounding than the new 901 which is more cold but accurate??? i havent herd it first hand so i cant make any judgment calls. i just dont know if the upgrade is woth the price tag. unless of course there was suddenly a northamerican 801 tradin offer, that would really help defray the exorbatent price tag. to tell the truth iam just brutaly sick of the lack of file support and the UI.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #483 of 3,522
Fingers crossed my 801 will arrive today. I decided to go for the 801 not only for cost considerations (though I would be prepared to stump up the extra) but when I found out fang "voiced" it on one of my favourite CD players of all time that was the clincher for me.

I have only been an apple user since 2009 and though I have got used to the excellent display for most of my portable life (read 33 years and counting) I have managed perfectly well with either no display or a simple one line LCD display showing track and elapsed time, heck, it was only in the last 8 years that I had displays that showed the track name!

So, even before its arrival I have been mentally adjusting to going back to no picture art and such which is actually a great deal easier than I thought as apart from looking at it on iTunes I never look at it on my player. Add that since changing to WAV most of that art has gone and it has made it even easier.

I am actually looking forward to the simpler display and in truth I don't need shuffle, or playlists as I never have used them, just play one album at a time.

Now, all I am hoping is that it is in my friends mailbox today across the border!

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #485 of 3,522
Just a tip,  you may want to run your words through the spellcheck,  that many misspelling somehow irks me
Referingnto tyler91

There is not one misspelled word there! I did not check before posting but just did and nothing came up as wrong!

Ahh, and you just added that it was not me! I was scratching my head at your comment I must admit, thanks for the clarification :D

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #486 of 3,522
Quote:
... I have managed perfectly well with either no display or a simple one line LCD display showing track and elapsed time, heck, it was only in the last 8 years that I had displays that showed the track name!

So, even before its arrival I have been mentally adjusting to going back to no picture art and such which is actually a great deal easier than I thought as apart from looking at it on iTunes I never look at it on my player. Add that since changing to WAV most of that art has gone and it has made it even easier.

I am actually looking forward to the simpler display and in truth I don't need shuffle, or playlists as I never have used them, just play one album at a time.

Wow!  Have you investigated the Altmann Tera Player? It might be even more perfect for you - no display, high end CD player SQ, WAV file oriented, and cost similar to HM-801/901.

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #488 of 3,522
Rockbox:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/HifimanPort

http://www.head-fi.org/t/576970/rockbox-for-hifiman-hm601-and-for-hm801

Quote:
ya iam debating weather or not its even worth "upgrading" from my beautifuly sounding 801, with the infamous UI. iam very curious to hear that my 801 is more musical sounding than the new 901 which is more cold but accurate??? i havent herd it first hand so i cant make any judgment calls. i just dont know if the upgrade is woth the price tag. unless of course there was suddenly a northamerican 801 tradin offer, that would really help defray the exorbatent price tag. to tell the truth iam just brutaly sick of the lack of file support and the UI.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #489 of 3,522
Dude i gave rock box a fare run. And i have to say i freakin hated it. Its great in theory but it had no usb compatibility, it was a absolute bitch to remove from my 801. It also made a super annoying sound when ever the LCD screen was lit...like a squealing drone sort of sound. Got my smart computer friend to help remove it, was very difficult mostly because the computer would never recognize it as a device or anything! so frustrating! In my experience i highly recommend against it. Its has pros but the cons far far far out weigh the pros. Sorry if everybody else on this thread disagrees with me. lol

Oh and iam so sorry if my terrible spelling made anyone on this thread unhappy.

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #490 of 3,522
Guys, I just posted this on the 801 thread but there is not much traffic there. I just got my 801, gave it a quick listen and very much like what I hear, don't even have to do the firmware update as it already has it.

My question is I have just put it on to charge, green light is shining on the charger but how do I know when it is fully charged, I can't see anything on the player to tell, does the green light on the charger go out when fully charged?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #491 of 3,522
I have about 400hours + on my ibasso. I can't imagine if audio quality can go higher than that in DAP. If the 901 sounds better than the Ibasso. It has to be so small to not even noticable. I think with the 901 vs the Dx100 it will all come down to Personal Sound Signature/Preference.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #492 of 3,522
Quote:
Dude i gave rock box a fare run. And i have to say i freakin hated it. Its great in theory but it had no usb compatibility, it was a absolute bitch to remove from my 801. It also made a super annoying sound when ever the LCD screen was lit...like a squealing drone sort of sound. Got my smart computer friend to help remove it, was very difficult mostly because the computer would never recognize it as a device or anything! so frustrating! In my experience i highly recommend against it. Its has pros but the cons far far far out weigh the pros. Sorry if everybody else on this thread disagrees with me. lol

Oh and iam so sorry if my terrible spelling made anyone on this thread unhappy.

What do you mean it has no usb compatibility?

What version did you install? It's moved on a bit and now gets recognised by the computer and is therefore much easier to install / uninstall. Also, it's now dual boot, so really easy to switch between rockbox and default firmware.

I don't get the noise you are talking about and if it wasn't for rockbox I would've sold the 801 ages ago, it's an absolute pleasure to use

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #493 of 3,522
He's probably referring to an older version of Rockbox which IMO was a bitch to remove. I had to bridge the connections to just get the unit detected to allow me to install the USB driver :frowning2:...

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #495 of 3,522
Can someone confirm that the 901 does not have digital inputs available without a breakout cable/dock?

If true, are there any pics of said cable? Does it ship with the unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back