Hippo VB or Head-Direct REO or Other for workout with Sansa Clip
Jun 10, 2010 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MoJoWales

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for advice on workout phones for the GF with emphasis on the VB and REO.  These will be used with a standard Sansa Clip for working out in the gym and occasional grass cutting and the like.  She is of average height and build.  New phones are needed to replace a just worn out pair of CX-300's that she was mostly happy with but there were issues with keeping them clean.  I will put a $100 soft ceiling on the price but more can be spent if warranted.  I have read reviews for a couple of days and am leaning towards the VB due to mentioned superior build quality but I have handled neither of these phones.  As to SQ I care more than she does.  She mentioned how much better the CX's sounded than her stock Clip earphones, big surprise, and sort of appropriated them from me.  I can attest to the CX-300's having been "real" and she also noticed the difference between her low quality source rips and my higher quality ones but it is mostly me wanting to provide her with better sound than she would seek out on her own.  She does workout pretty hard and sweats.  She noticed the microphonics of the CX's but didn't mind them.  I would consider non IEM but having the sounds of gym and occasional riding mower blocked out is a plus for her as she usually rides while I push and trim and she has tried my PMX-80's and opted to return to the CX-300's for the isolation.  I would think that the REO's would be a better fit for her music tastes with better treble but the VB's build quality seems to be better via reviews.  Suggestions on these two or any other phones greatly appreciated as I try to giver her what she REALLY needs whether or not she is aware of or appreciates it.  Can you relate?  

Thanks,

MoJoWales

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, the RE0s have a crapload of microphonics. That, and IMHo can't stay on my ears well enough when doing rigorous activities.

Jun 10, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 9
The VBs will be less of a sonic shock coming from the CX300s (bass levels and all) but I don't think they are ideal exercise phones, same as the RE0s. Then again, neither are CX300s, not by a long shot, so if she gets along with those she should be okay (unless she likes the J-cord). Why not try something that's designed for physical activity, like the Meelec M6s? They are a big step up from the Senns (though not nearly RE0-big) but they're durable, convenient, and free of cable noise.

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 9
The hippo VB has decent microphonics, especially worn over the ear, but the large body size doesn't make it ideal for exercise. Especially of the heavy kind. I agree with joker. Just get her a meelelectronics Ai-M6. It is still far superior to the cx300 and is made for gym use. Just be prepared to clip the memory wire in case she doesn't like it- it should only take two or so minutes.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for all the replies. I am looking at the M6 right now. Reviews seem to be pretty high on the build quality as well as SQ.  The second generation with the "improved" cord M6 is available with a free M9 thrown in for about 50 bucks shipped to me. I will probably pull the trigger on these tonight after I read some more reviews and just mull it over a bit.  Having a second pair with what I am reading to be the same driver minus the over-ear cord for $30 less than the VB or REO's seems like a very good deal. Although it makes no difference to her or me for workout phones, the clear M6's just look cool. 

Thanks again,

MoJoWales

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 9
I just got a shipping confirmation from MEelectronics for the M6 + M9P combo.  Considering I just ordered at about 9:30 AM and this came at 11:30 AM I gotta say wow.  I'll post back with impressions from them after we use them for awhile. 

Thank you all,

MoJoWales

Jul 24, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Just a quick thanks for recommending the M6 that I purchased with a free M9P.  The GF is using the M9P for workout phones after liking the non-over the ear wires more.  I have inherited the M6 and although I have only used them for about 2 hours with no burn in I can say that they have superior sound to my admittedly small sampling of other IEMs.  I am using the included triple seal and I like the fit although the triple itself is a bit difficult to properly affix to the M6.  The sound quality is very good with good definition and excellent noise isolation for me.  It has a smaller sound-stage than my full size cans, naturally, but the lack of muddy noise and precise definition are outstanding.  Especially for the price.  They seem very well made and the included case and adapters are a nice touch.  I like the over ear wires and the clear looks cool.  Thanks for the advice.

MoJoWales

Users who are viewing this thread

Back