HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 16, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #25,396 of 25,592
This is not correct. I had no proof of purchase and was only charged $300
That makes me Le Sad. I had a rattling noise in my right driver so I sent it in. Initially they charged me 300 dollars and I sent them the venmo receipt I had. They were satisfied and sent me a label. Then they said it was out of warranty (it was a 2.5mm Susvara) and then charged me an additional 1200.
Maybe it is 1500 to change generations.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #25,397 of 25,592
That makes me Le Sad. I had a rattling noise in my right driver so I sent it in. Initially they charged me 300 dollars and I sent them the venmo receipt I had. They were satisfied and sent me a label. Then they said it was out of warranty (it was a 2.5mm Susvara) and then charged me an additional 1200.
Maybe it is 1500 to change generations.
Ah. And you got an open box 3.5mm back?

As an aside, I don't know how possible it is to get a more efficient Susvara that performs similarly. Something about the gold on the drivers requiring a lot of juice to get going. If you swap out the gold with something easier to drive, it's not the same.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #25,398 of 25,592
i dunno. r&d costs aside (the susvara was released back in 2017), i do wonder what hifiman's profit margin is on such an expensive headphone that really doesn't look or feel like one to me. the comparatively cheap prices being mentioned here for out of warranty replacements suggest that it's exorbitant and arbitrary for what it is. i must confess that i have mixed feelings about paying such a premium for it. that said, no one's twisting my arm.

Apr 16, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #25,400 of 25,592
Sus replacement from hifiman is finally here. Finally gonna get to hear sus on wavedream. $300 for a replacement out of warranty

How long did it take? I have an RMA # still waiting on my replacement…

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #25,401 of 25,592
FAW Claire Hybrid is the way to go. Don’t use the higher end Dana Cables on 2.5mm because it can literally bend the plug due to how heavy it is
I’ve used the Claire HPC MK2 for years with the Susvara outstanding pairing. I’ve actually equipped every set of cans I own, including IEM’s (Copper Series) with HPC Mk2’s.

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #25,402 of 25,592
It usually says a lot about background and taste of someone who think Rolex are a reputable brand and wants / buys a Rolex watch.

The analogy doesn’t work. Maybe we should move on.

Privately build power conditioner with a set of DIY thick shielded pure copper cables came in today, all designed by an nixdorf engineer friend of mine here in Germany. Supposed to outperform stuff like Nisgara 7000. Only 9 of those out there.

I am rather agnostic in regard of cables, yet alone "pure power".

Holy molly its a big difference

Susvara never had that much heft, body, texture, bass and treble extension, whole system just opened up. I feel stupid ignoring power for so long.
Yep. Imagine taking the advice of people who can't hear the difference in cables. Funny thing is the stock Susvara cable is amazing performance and it's sad they updated it to one with black sleeving as it sounds worse. The more you improve your chain the more you will realize the less power one needs to unleash Susvara and the easier it is to hear the difference between cables.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #25,403 of 25,592
i dunno. r&d costs aside (the susvara was released back in 2017), i do wonder what hifiman's profit margin is on such an expensive headphone that really doesn't look or feel like one to me. the comparatively cheap prices being mentioned here for out of warranty replacements suggest that it's exorbitant and arbitrary for what it is. i must confess that i have mixed feelings about paying such a premium for it. that said, no one's twisting my arm.
It's huge (I mean profit)

Apr 17, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #25,404 of 25,592
How long did it take? I have an RMA # still waiting on my replacement…
They received my susvara and sent me a brand new one 2 days later

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #25,405 of 25,592
the new model that is easier to drive is on the table I was told at canjam by a susvara rep but he told me it will not be up to the standard of the original in terms of sound....
I mean, that's what the HEKSE line is...
The only objectively better product by Hifiman is the Shangri-La headphone which needs a very good energizer. People are waiting for Susvara 2 for years now and while i would also be very interested, the Susvara hits every checkmark for me personally. The Immanis could be such a thing, but while technicalities will be amazing, i'm not so sure about its bass and overall tonality.

By the way, i can highly recommend a Lavricables Grand Silver 8w if you're inside the EU, super flexibel and light, and sounds amazing.

Apr 17, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #25,406 of 25,592

Exactly, agreed.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #25,407 of 25,592
Ah. And you got an open box 3.5mm back?

As an aside, I don't know how possible it is to get a more efficient Susvara that performs similarly. Something about the gold on the drivers requiring a lot of juice to get going. If you swap out the gold with something easier to drive, it's not the same.
I seem to have gotten a brand new Susvara with the hospital catheter sleeve. Serial number seems to confirm it’s a recent production too (at the time).

Yes, gold is what makes it hard to drive.

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #25,408 of 25,592
Exactly, agreed.
They created one of the best HPs of all time. Their R&D is all accounted for by now and that will make the profit margin higher. Good for them. Most HP’s will not have this type of popularity over time.

Lowering the price would decrease their value. Providing great customer service will only enhance both them and the Sus.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #25,409 of 25,592
I seem to have gotten a brand new Susvara with the hospital catheter sleeve. Serial number seems to confirm it’s a recent production too (at the time).

Yes, gold is what makes it hard to drive.
Very cool.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Susvara vs Mod House Tunsten DS!

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #25,410 of 25,592
They created one of the best HPs of all time. Their R&D is all accounted for by now and that will make the profit margin higher. Good for them. Most HP’s will not have this type of popularity over time.

Lowering the price would decrease their value. Providing great customer service will only enhance both them and the Sus.

Oh I'm not saying they should lower their price, nor would I expect them to. I was simply arguing that the pricing isn't as simple as R&D and other expenses. We're paying a bit of a premium, and that's my belief for the entire industry having started in this hobby as a teenager. To me, there isn't really a logical way to justify the insane prices we're seeing today across the board.

I personally don't think it does the community any good to defend the higher prices and more people should be critical of them, tbh (obviously if you think they're totally fair, that's a different story).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back