HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #25,366 of 25,592
This is where you are contradicting yourself. A Susvara is priced accordingly for the sound it offers. The difference in sound between a Susvara and even a LCD-2 is huge. A Rolex does not offer any more accuracy to time keeping than a simple quartz watch. The build quality is even less stellar than a Sinn watch. People don't buy Susvara for status. If the Susvara sounded like a Hifiman He400, I am sure it would have been a huge flop and people would have absolutely shat on Hifiman. That is the difference. Hifiman spend their money more on research. That is where the money goes and in return you get your money's worth. Just because the market is willing to pay a price, does not mean it is worth it. That is solely up to you to do your own research and not fall for the hype.
When you realise your cheap mobile phone is more accurate than the best Rolex :)

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #25,367 of 25,592
When you realise your cheap mobile phone is more accurate than the best Rolex :)
Just like how there are $20 IEMs that perfectly "comply" to the Harman Target. Forest from goddamn trees, holy smokes.

Susvara is not a T50RP mod so if we're going to start picking apart analogies we need to know what we're talking about LOL

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #25,368 of 25,592
Susvara is 300 dollars to replace out of warranty if and only if you have proof of purchase. Otherwise it’s 1500 USD to replace them for issues.

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #25,369 of 25,592
Susvara is 300 dollars to replace out of warranty if and only if you have proof of purchase. Otherwise it’s 1500 USD to replace them for issues.
Okay, huge huge distinction there. Thank you for bringing that up.

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #25,370 of 25,592
Saying Rolex is 'the best' is like saying Bose headphones are the best as there is greater demand/market share for Bose headphones compared to Hifiman/Stax… Please do enlighten me as to which compilation Rolex has designed in the last three decades that has received numerous awards by the Horological society. Hah, even the most expensive Rolex is just a chronograph with diamonds on it. Not so different then to the expensive diamond encrusted Beats HP is it?

Even I scoffed at the pricing of Susvara when they were first announced. But my perception quickly changed after hearing it and so did for a lot of people including Marv on the other forum. And this is why I find it insulting comparing them to something like Rolex which have no innovation but just a lot of hype.

Talking of driver issues, Audeze had a bad run with the Pre Fazor HPs and early LCD-X and 4. LCD-4 driver replacement is also more expensive. Hifiman has been more reliable but somehow gets a worse rep. The only good thing with Audeze is the 3 year warranty period regardless of the number of owners.

If Hifiman was to release an easier to drive Susvara, maybe the mk1 will hold its value as the question of scalability will come into play. But I do think a new iteration is on the horizon. And higher sensitivity specs will capture a bigger market.

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #25,371 of 25,592
I had to laugh at this. Rolex is the biggest ripoff in the watch world.

Saying Rolex is 'the best' is like saying Bose headphones are the best as there is greater demand/market share for Bose headphones compared to Hifiman/Stax… Please do enlighten me as to which compilation Rolex has designed in the last three decades that has received numerous awards by the Horological society. Hah, even the most expensive Rolex is just a chronograph with diamonds on it. Not so different then to the expensive diamond encrusted Beats HP is it?

Even I scoffed at the pricing of Susvara when they were first announced. But my perception quickly changed after hearing it and so did for a lot of people including Marv on the other forum. And this is why I find it insulting comparing them to something like Rolex which have no innovation but just a lot of hype.

Talking of driver issues, Audeze had a bad run with the Pre Fazor HPs and early LCD-X and 4. LCD-4 driver replacement is also more expensive. Hifiman has been more reliable but somehow gets a worse rep. The only good thing with Audeze is the 3 year warranty period regardless of the number of owners.

If Hifiman was to release an easier to drive Susvara, maybe the mk1 will hold its value as the question of scalability will come into play. But I do think a new iteration is on the horizon. And higher sensitivity specs will capture a bigger market.
In a world with Hublot and Jacob and Co., calling Rolex the biggest ripoff in the watch world is asinine. Saying an organization so integrated that it has its own foundry is the biggest ripoff in the watch world is asinine. Using Sinn, who won't even tell you what OEM it uses for its movements, as an example, is asinine. Asking about horological society awards after recently releasing a watch with such a depth rating that it surpasses the depth of the deepest known parts of the planet is asinine. It was a perfectly good analogy that you decided to tear apart for reverse Urban Gentry level snobbery for reasons that are beyond my depth rating. A Sinn being a T50RP mod is the best analogy in this conversation.

Brining this back on topic, what amp do you use your Susvara with?

Apr 16, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #25,372 of 25,592
Have been heading down the rabbit-hole looking for an aftermarket cable for my Susvara. Ordinarily, I would not bother with changing cables but the Susvara one is just so bad that I feel I have no choice in the matter, the way it 'pinches' at the XLR end its only a matter of time before the sheafing splits. At the higher end the Dana Rhapsody and DHC Chimera appeal, but also am considering lower-priced cables from the likes of Norne, Arctic and so on. If someone is looking to part with a decent 2.5mm / XLR cable for the Susvara feel free to let me know.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #25,373 of 25,592
FAW Claire Hybrid is the way to go. Don’t use the higher end Dana Cables on 2.5mm because it can literally bend the plug due to how heavy it is

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #25,374 of 25,592
FAW Claire Hybrid is the way to go. Don’t use the higher end Dana Cables on 2.5mm because it can literally bend the plug due to how heavy it is

Thanks, you have answered one of the questions that just popped into my mind given that the 2.5mm is so fragile, especially also as I may need a 3m one.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #25,375 of 25,592
What gain ratios or amounts do you all find to work well with Susvara?

The Ragnarok 2 I am using (which is currently on sale for a bonkers price btw) is unique in that it has 2x/6db, 8x/18db, and 25x/28db balanced gain on the front end into about 12.5W at 60 ohms.

Not specific to the Susvara, but I find as I cycle through the gain settings, lower gain settings tend to have the biggest bottom and splashiest treble, while the midrange increases along with the gain. I find the Susvara perhaps a little too splashy and withdrawn in the midrange at 18dB, and while a little steelier sounding than I'd prefer at 28db, the sound is very much filled in.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #25,376 of 25,592
Have been heading down the rabbit-hole looking for an aftermarket cable for my Susvara. Ordinarily, I would not bother with changing cables but the Susvara one is just so bad that I feel I have no choice in the matter, the way it 'pinches' at the XLR end its only a matter of time before the sheafing splits. At the higher end the Dana Rhapsody and DHC Chimera appeal, but also am considering lower-priced cables from the likes of Norne, Arctic and so on. If someone is looking to part with a decent 2.5mm / XLR cable for the Susvara feel free to let me know.
I finally caved and purchased the chimera this morning. Peter is excellent to work with and the level of personal customization you get will convince you that buying a new one is worth it.

This will replace my wywire platinum and cardas clear.

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #25,377 of 25,592
This is not correct. I had no proof of purchase and was only charged $300

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #25,378 of 25,592
In a world with Hublot and Jacob and Co., calling Rolex the biggest ripoff in the watch world is asinine. Saying an organization so integrated that it has its own foundry is the biggest ripoff in the watch world is asinine. Using Sinn, who won't even tell you what OEM it uses for its movements, as an example, is asinine. Asking about horological society awards after recently releasing a watch with such a depth rating that it surpasses the depth of the deepest known parts of the planet is asinine. It was a perfectly good analogy that you decided to tear apart for reverse Urban Gentry level snobbery for reasons that are beyond my depth rating. A Sinn being a T50RP mod is the best analogy in this conversation.

Brining this back on topic, what amp do you use your Susvara with?
Depth rating? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Own foundry? HAHAHAHAHAHA, didn’t realise I was at a comedy festival. Then you name drop Hublot and Jacob and Co. Ever heard of Lange & Söhne, Vacheron Constantin or even Patek? Maybe, next year Rolex can add a date function to the Daytona. Such a huge leap in the world of watchmaking. I used Sinn as an example because that is the price point at which Rolex belongs. Or it used to be until they captured the Chinese market thanks to clever marketing.

You did not answer my query about which awards has Rolex won for innovation and yet I will answer yours. I own a WA33 and no plans to change. Are you gonna try to scoff down on my amp or setup? Sounds like some one got offended I called out their favourite watch for what it is.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #25,380 of 25,592
Depth rating? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Own foundry? HAHAHAHAHAHA, didn’t realise I was at a comedy festival. Then you name drop Hublot and Jacob and Co. Ever heard of Lange & Söhne, Vacheron Constantin or even Patek?

You did not answer my query about which awards has Rolex won for innovation and yet I will answer yours. I own a WA33 and no plans to change. Are you gonna try to scoff down on my amp or setup? Sounds like some one got offended I called out their favourite watch for what it is.
Two of the three you mentioned are Richemont brands (yeesh!) and if the OP brought up a Calatrava you'd go on about Frederique Constant being a better buy.

Awards for the company that invented the dive watch and has a watch in their catalog that reaches the lowest points on Earth is like worrying about Amir's thoughts on the Susvara.

The Rolex thing was a fantastic analogy and, as mentioned, hijacking it to make the asinine claim that Rolex is the biggest ripoff in watchmaking, touting Sellita-equipped Sinns, is ridiculous.

I asked about your amp half out of curiosity, and half to ensure you have the damn thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back