HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #25,381 of 25,592
The Rolex thing was a fantastic analogy and, as mentioned, hijacking it to make the asinine claim that Rolex is the biggest ripoff in watchmaking, touting Sellita-equipped Sinns, is ridiculous.
Actually, it was not. Susvara advanced the state-of-the-art of planar magnetic headphones, and was priced accordingly. Rolex makes middling timepieces, and charges a huge premium for bling.

But I think arguing about the quality of headphone/watch analogies has probably run its course by now...

Apr 16, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #25,382 of 25,592
Actually, it was not. Susvara advanced the state-of-the-art of planar magnetic headphones, and was priced accordingly. Rolex makes middling timepieces, and charges a huge premium for bling.

But I think arguing about the quality of headphone/watch analogies has probably run its course by now...
No, that's Hublot. Rolex is the farthest from bling, and the orthodynamic Technologies around planar magnetic headphones have been around for decades as well. It's just done really well here.

If you want the biggest ripoffs in their respective genres, as per the initial claim, you'll need to look elsewhere. Like IEMs. Or... cables.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #25,383 of 25,592
It usually says a lot about background and taste of someone who think Rolex are a reputable brand and wants / buys a Rolex watch.

The analogy doesn’t work. Maybe we should move on.

IMG_8203.jpeg

IMG_8207.jpeg

Privately build power conditioner with a set of DIY thick shielded pure copper cables came in today, all designed by an nixdorf engineer friend of mine here in Germany. Supposed to outperform stuff like Nisgara 7000. Only 9 of those out there.

I am rather agnostic in regard of cables, yet alone "pure power".

Holy molly its a big difference

Susvara never had that much heft, body, texture, bass and treble extension, whole system just opened up. I feel stupid ignoring power for so long.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #25,384 of 25,592
We as consumers are the problem lol. Pricing and market positioning is largely due to us, the consumer paying for and validating their positioning. I am fully guilty while being fully aware.
"Fully guilty. Fully aware." An inscription for my tombstone one day.

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #25,385 of 25,592
Depth rating? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Own foundry? HAHAHAHAHAHA, didn’t realise I was at a comedy festival. Then you name drop Hublot and Jacob and Co. Ever heard of Lange & Söhne, Vacheron Constantin or even Patek? Maybe, next year Rolex can add a date function to the Daytona. Such a huge leap in the world of watchmaking. I used Sinn as an example because that is the price point at which Rolex belongs. Or it used to be until they captured the Chinese market thanks to clever marketing.

You did not answer my query about which awards has Rolex won for innovation and yet I will answer yours. I own a WA33 and no plans to change. Are you gonna try to scoff down on my amp or setup? Sounds like some one got offended I called out their favourite watch for what it is.
Dude, I get it - you're passionate about watches and have strong opinions about that industry. There are forums for that; this is not one of them. My analogy was sound. If the mention of the biggest watch mfr and most successful luxury brand in the history of the world triggers you, I suggest some calming music on your Susvara. :wink:

Now, for the love of all that is hifi, can we PLEASE get back to the topic at hand here?

Apr 16, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #25,386 of 25,592
It usually says a lot about background and taste of someone who think Rolex are a reputable brand and wants / buys a Rolex watch.

The analogy doesn’t work. Maybe we should move on.

IMG_8203.jpeg

IMG_8207.jpeg

Privately build power conditioner with a set of DIY thick shielded pure copper cables came in today, all designed by an nixdorf engineer friend of mine here in Germany. Supposed to outperform stuff like Nisgara 7000. Only 9 of those out there.

I am rather agnostic in regard of cables, yet alone "pure power".

Holy molly its a big difference

Susvara never had that much heft, body, texture, bass and treble extension, whole system just opened up. I feel stupid ignoring power for so long.
Have you played with isolation feet for your tube amp? I was never a believer until I got given Stillpoint feet for my valve phono stage. I think it’s headphones like Susvara which have the resolution power to show differences between conditioners, cables… P.S. I currently use Solid air isolation feet for my WA33 and my Gyrodec.

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #25,387 of 25,592
Saying Rolex is 'the best' is like saying Bose headphones are the best as there is greater demand/market share for Bose headphones compared to Hifiman/Stax… Please do enlighten me as to which compilation Rolex has designed in the last three decades that has received numerous awards by the Horological society. Hah, even the most expensive Rolex is just a chronograph with diamonds on it. Not so different then to the expensive diamond encrusted Beats HP is it?

Even I scoffed at the pricing of Susvara when they were first announced. But my perception quickly changed after hearing it and so did for a lot of people including Marv on the other forum. And this is why I find it insulting comparing them to something like Rolex which have no innovation but just a lot of hype.

Talking of driver issues, Audeze had a bad run with the Pre Fazor HPs and early LCD-X and 4. LCD-4 driver replacement is also more expensive. Hifiman has been more reliable but somehow gets a worse rep. The only good thing with Audeze is the 3 year warranty period regardless of the number of owners.

If Hifiman was to release an easier to drive Susvara, maybe the mk1 will hold its value as the question of scalability will come into play. But I do think a new iteration is on the horizon. And higher sensitivity specs will capture a bigger market.
the new model that is easier to drive is on the table I was told at canjam by a susvara rep but he told me it will not be up to the standard of the original in terms of sound....

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #25,388 of 25,592
In a world with Hublot and Jacob and Co., calling Rolex the biggest ripoff in the watch world is asinine. Saying an organization so integrated that it has its own foundry is the biggest ripoff in the watch world is asinine. Using Sinn, who won't even tell you what OEM it uses for its movements, as an example, is asinine. Asking about horological society awards after recently releasing a watch with such a depth rating that it surpasses the depth of the deepest known parts of the planet is asinine. It was a perfectly good analogy that you decided to tear apart for reverse Urban Gentry level snobbery for reasons that are beyond my depth rating. A Sinn being a T50RP mod is the best analogy in this conversation.

Brining this back on topic, what amp do you use your Susvara with?
rolex watches are works of art and status symbols that sell for insane prices but it sure isnt because of its time keeping..if perfect time keeping is what you are after get an apple watch..years ago I got a rolex as a gift and had to constantly adjust the time on the damn thing...I sold it for something that kept decent time

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #25,389 of 25,592
FAW Claire Hybrid is the way to go. Don’t use the higher end Dana Cables on 2.5mm because it can literally bend the plug due to how heavy it is
I have used the danacable 2.5 cable for my susvara for several years without incident

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #25,390 of 25,592
Phase 1. Buy broken, defective or otherwise faulty Susvaras.
Phase 2. ?
Phase 3. Profit.
makes no sense since the owner of the broken susvara can under the circumstances laid out simply fix or replace it for 300 dollars

Apr 16, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #25,391 of 25,592
makes no sense since the owner of the broken susvara can under the circumstances laid out simply fix or replace it for 300 dollars
I've heard many anecdotal stories of Hifiman supporting Susvara owners with or without original proof of purchase. My theory is that they're smart enough to realize they need to support anyone who supports them enough to spend even second-hand prices on their flagship headphone so that prospective customers like me feel confident buying that flagship product. If I'm right, I think that is truly brilliant marketing and to be applauded.

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #25,392 of 25,592
rolex watches are works of art and status symbols that sell for insane prices but it sure isnt because of its time keeping..if perfect time keeping is what you are after get an apple watch..years ago I got a rolex as a gift and had to constantly adjust the time on the damn thing...I sold it for something that kept decent time
They're -2/+2 seconds a day out of the dealer, and of course need adjusting once a decade. As do all mechanical devices.

Giving up on a Rolex like that is like giving up on a Susvara because it didn't sound good off your Topping A90! 😂😉

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #25,393 of 25,592
I've heard many anecdotal stories of Hifiman supporting Susvara owners with or without original proof of purchase. My theory is that they're smart enough to realize they need to support anyone who supports them enough to spend even second-hand prices on their flagship headphone so that prospective customers like me feel confident buying that flagship product. If I'm right, I think that is truly brilliant marketing and to be applauded.
as one who has owned 2 susvara it gives me confidence going forward

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #25,394 of 25,592
They're -2/+2 seconds a day out of the dealer, and of course need adjusting once a decade. As do all mechanical devices.

Giving up on a Rolex like that is like giving up on a Susvara because it didn't sound good off your Topping A90! 😂😉
not true, I am not one for conspicuous consumption and to me that is what a rolex watch is...and an invitation to being robbed in todays world..I do not begrudge people owning and enjoying them...myself I am happy with my apple watch...since I wear a watch for the correct time and nothing more I get nothing out of the rolex but more power to you

Apr 16, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #25,395 of 25,592
Doesn’t it go something like, a Rolex is for others to know you know what time it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back