HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #25,426 of 25,593
Oh I'm not saying they should lower their price, nor would I expect them to. I was simply arguing that the pricing isn't as simple as R&D and other expenses. We're paying a bit of a premium, and that's my belief for the entire industry having started in this hobby as a teenager. To me, there isn't really a logical way to justify the insane prices we're seeing today across the board.

I personally don't think it does the community any good to defend the higher prices and more people should be critical of them, tbh (obviously if you think they're totally fair, that's a different story).
I agree that overall the pricing is out of hand. I also heard today that another company was working on a $100k HP amp! My point on the Susvara was that with discount they typically cost in $4’s and that is good value to me for what is thought of and sounds like one of the best HP’s ever made. Beyond that, too many super expensive items.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #25,427 of 25,593
Yea I'm very aware that they're entitled to the level of profit margin they seek, but that's a bit besides the point of whether or not we as consumers believe it's reasonable (put purchasing behavior aside here for a sec, as again I've admitted, along with so many others that we're willing to pay it regardless). It's totally subjective and I respect everyone''s opinions. As someone that's owned the Susvara and SGL Sr., I believe and can admit that they're a bit overpriced, but that's totally in my opinion. They still perform amazing and are TOTL gear compared to the competition. Totally get if many others feel differently.
We simply have a difference of opinion there. As much as I love the SGL, I simply couldn't justify paying the asking price for a new set. Whereas *I* feel the Susvara IS a solid value given that there are now several other planars on the market at a similar or higher price, all of which I consider inferior. Bear in mind that I bought my Susvara used for $3.3k a few years ago, and I consider it easily one of the best audio purchases I've ever made for the money.

I think people are getting attached to this idea that admitting that something may come at a premium cost means it isn't truly a high performing piece of gear or highly valuable, which is just not a view I hold. In none of my statements have I said it's not an absolute TOTL; and my opinion would also go for the TC and many others.
I'm certainly not attached to that idea, but can't speak for others in the discussion. Price and performance in audio gear have a very nebulous correlation. That said, I've already opined that *I* don't think Susvara comes at a premium cost in the context of the current market, so perhaps it's a moot point.

Where I do disagree more strongly is that the conversation doesn't matter to the hobby or the community, as the discussion can influence people's perspectives and purchasing decisions, which then in turn impacts demand behavior and manufacturer decisions--especially with the emerging trend of higher performing gear at lower costs (some of the offerings from DCA, Raal, Tungsten, etc.). Certainly not saying that these discussions directly drive these companies decision on pricing. Again that doesn't mean it takes away from the Susvara's performance or "dethrones" it.
Certainly the conversations on various forums can influence some people's perspectives and purchasing decisions, but that works in both directions (persuasion/dissuasion). Ultimately, what drives companies' product and pricing decisions are actual sales figures.

Anyhoo, we may be getting off into the weeds a little bit. Peace, buddy!

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #25,428 of 25,593
^ at the risk of taking this discussion deeper into the weeds, i share @number1sixerfan's perspective. i appreciate that companies price their products at what they think the market will bear and hifiman is no different in that regard. however, as someone who admires the susvara for its sound reproduction, its build quality and fit and finish is underwhelming imo compared to other high-end headphones that i've had first-hand experience with - such as the focal utopia, meze empyrean, abyss diana and final audio d8000 pro. and they all cost less than the susvara in my neck of the woods.

while i can appreciate that you regard it as a 'solid value' for the price that you paid for it used in your part of the world, it does seem 'overpriced' to me for what you get when it's purchased new here. that said, i regard any high-end audio purchase as an indulgence so the notion of value for money doesn't really apply as i see it. but i am used to a level of build quality and fit and finish that is more premium than what the susvara offers at its price point. and while hifiman has made an attempt to present it as a deluxe product in a satin lined box with a hardcover book, it doesn't cut the mustard imo, particularly if it still comes with the 'catheter' cables. :wink: so along with its amplification requirements, the susvara is a high-end headphone purchase that i am finding difficult to justify, regardless of how it sounds.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #25,429 of 25,593
^ at the risk of taking this discussion deeper into the weeds, i share @number1sixerfan's perspective. i appreciate that companies price their products at what they think the market will bear and hifiman is no different in that regard. however, as someone who admires the susvara for its sound reproduction, its build quality and fit and finish is underwhelming imo compared to other high-end headphones that i've had experience with, such as the focal utopia, meze empyrean, abyss diana and final audio d8000 pro. and they all cost less than the susvara in my neck of the woods.
Other than Susvara's pads, which are notorious for wearing out or failing prematurely, I think the build quality of the headphone is actually quite good. Aesthetics are obviously personal, but I think Susvara has a rather elegant and classic look. More importantly than either of those, Susvara is supremely comfortable, even more so than the headphones you enumerate above, at least for me. We may disagree about how the TOTL planars rank in these categories, but I submit that Susvara is competitive in all of them. YMMV. Finally, sound quality will always be the #1 criterion for me, as long as a headphone doesn't disqualify itself with poor comfort or a completely shoddy build.

so while i can appreciate that you regard it as a solid value for the price that you paid for it used in your part of the world, it does seem 'overpriced' to me for what you get when it's purchased new here. that said, i regard any high-end audio purchase as an indulgence so the notion of value for money doesn't really apply as i see it. but i am used to a level of build quality and fit and finish that is more premium than what the susvara offers at its price point. that and its amplification requirements makes it a high-end headphone purchase that i am finding difficult to justify, regardless of how it sounds. and while hifiman has made an attempt to present it as a deluxe product in a satin lined box with a hardcover book, it doesn't cut the mustard imo, particularly if the 'catheter' cables are still being included. :wink:
If Susvara is overpriced per your value system, I accept and respect that even though I arrived at a different conclusion. The "amplification requirements" argument has some merit, although my opinion is that Susvara on many (higher-powered) headphone amps is still a fabulous listen, especially with non-bassy music. Regarding Susvara's stock catheter cables, I simply paid another $350 for a lightweight DHC copper cable. Problem solved.

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:31 AM Post #25,430 of 25,593
^ at the risk of taking this discussion deeper into the weeds, i share @number1sixerfan's perspective. i appreciate that companies price their products at what they think the market will bear and hifiman is no different in that regard. however, as someone who admires the susvara for its sound reproduction, its build quality and fit and finish is underwhelming imo compared to other high-end headphones that i've had first-hand experience with - such as the focal utopia, meze empyrean, abyss diana and final audio d8000 pro. and they all cost less than the susvara in my neck of the woods.

while i can appreciate that you regard it as a 'solid value' for the price that you paid for it used in your part of the world, it does seem 'overpriced' to me for what you get when it's purchased new here. that said, i regard any high-end audio purchase as an indulgence so the notion of value for money doesn't really apply as i see it. but i am used to a level of build quality and fit and finish that is more premium than what the susvara offers at its price point. and while hifiman has made an attempt to present it as a deluxe product in a satin lined box with a hardcover book, it doesn't cut the mustard imo, particularly if it still comes with the 'catheter' cables. :wink: so along with its amplification requirements, the susvara is a high-end headphone purchase that i am finding difficult to justify, regardless of how it sounds.

The build quality issues (just lower quality feel), particularly for me, of the Susvara, SGL Sr., and the R10 replica are essentially my primary gripe w/Hifiman's pricing. Sound quality wise, they are extremely consistent and put out desirable product.

But the reason I'm commenting again is because it's just all personal opinion and perspective in how we see value. Nobody really is right or wrong and ultimately the continued purchase and the Susvara's popularity after all this time speaks for itself.

Moving back more towards sound, I'll be really interested to see how many Susvara owners that are also getting the Raal Immanis end up keeping both. One takeaway I had from hearing them, is that they reminded me of the Susvara in terms of completeness and ease of listen. But the Axpona show was really noisy, so I wonder if there was nuanced differences between the two then in my short auditions. Looking forward to impressions once they start rolling in.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #25,431 of 25,593
Other than Susvara's pads, which are notorious for wearing out or failing prematurely, I think the build quality of the headphone is actually quite good. Aesthetics are obviously personal, but I think Susvara has a rather elegant and classic look. More importantly than either of those, Susvara is supremely comfortable, even more so than the headphones you enumerate above, at least for me. We may disagree about how the TOTL planars rank in these categories, but I submit that Susvara is competitive in all of them. YMMV. Finally, sound quality will always be the #1 criterion for me, as long as a headphone doesn't disqualify itself with poor comfort or a completely shoddy build.

If Susvara is overpriced per your value system, I accept and respect that even though I arrived at a different conclusion. The "amplification requirements" argument has some merit, although my opinion is that Susvara on many (higher-powered) headphone amps is still a fabulous listen, especially with non-bassy music. Regarding Susvara's stock catheter cables, I simply paid another $350 for a lightweight DHC copper cable. Problem solved.
to clarify, when i refer to the susvara's 'build quality and fit and finish', that can also be understood as its 'lower quality feel' as @number1sixerfan described it in his post. i was not referring to its reliability or comfort. i also find the susvara comfortable and like its look but the execution leaves a lot to be desired imo. it simply doesn't feel like a premium product to me when compared to the other headphones that i mentioned. so i disagree that it is competitive in that category.
The build quality issues (just lower quality feel), particularly for me, of the Susvara, SGL Sr., and the R10 replica are essentially my primary gripe w/Hifiman's pricing. Sound quality wise, they are extremely consistent and put out desirable product.

But the reason I'm commenting again is because it's just all personal opinion and perspective in how we see value. Nobody really is right or wrong and ultimately the continued purchase and the Susvara's popularity after all this time speaks for itself.

Moving back more towards sound, I'll be really interested to see how many Susvara owners that are also getting the Raal Immanis end up keeping both. One takeaway I had from hearing them, is that they reminded me of the Susvara in terms of completeness and ease of listen. But the Axpona show was really noisy, so I wonder if there was nuanced differences between the two then in my short auditions. Looking forward to impressions once they start rolling in.
agreed :relaxed:

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #25,432 of 25,593

I hear you. But I do think it’s cable is fine. Using the standard cable it was able to outshine all the other HPs I listened to at CanJam. I am sure we can do better, but it is not bad sounding cable.

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #25,433 of 25,593
I hear you. But I do think it’s cable is fine. Using the standard cable it was able to outshine all the other HPs I listened to at CanJam. I am sure we can do better, but it is not bad sounding cable.

I agree that the standard cable for the Susvara sounds pretty good, it’s just the build/feel/aesthetics that certainly leave the end user wanting. To that point, I quite don’t think that aspect is fine. Hifiman could do better for its flagship headphone.

Apr 19, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #25,434 of 25,593
i wasn't criticising how the susvara or its stock cables sound. i admire the susvara in that respect as i wrote in my post.
I agree that the standard cable for the Susvara sounds pretty good, it’s just the build/feel/aesthetics that certainly leave the end user wanting. To that point, I quite don’t think that aspect is fine. Hifiman could do better for its flagship headphone.
and that is what i am critical of. i'll leave it there as i don't want to come off as a thread crapper. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #25,435 of 25,593
They received my susvara and sent me a brand new one 2 days later
Brand new pair of Susvara delivered today. Took three days to receive from when my pair arrived at HiFiman. Top notch!

IMG_2392.jpeg

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #25,436 of 25,593
Finally conjured up the nerve to cannibalize my nasty stock pads (but in fine condition as far as hifiman goes) for the mounting rings. Here's the Auteur solid hybrid pads all lined nicely.
20240419_140519.jpg

What a house of horrors the pads were under the cover, my goodness lol

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #25,437 of 25,593
Brand new pair of Susvara delivered today. Took three days to receive from when my pair arrived at HiFiman. Top notch!
HFM customer service is great, isn't it. Wondering if your new set was 2.5mm or 3.5? Did you get to specify?

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #25,438 of 25,593
When i bought susvara i used my balanced Meze cable. Some days later i tried the stock cable, just for curiosity and i was amazed how the stock cable sounded a lot better than the Meze. This said, it was a cheap cable, im not saying stock cable is better than expensive premium cables, but is far better than other cables at the same price.

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #25,439 of 25,593
When i bought susvara i used my balanced Meze cable. Some days later i tried the stock cable, just for curiosity and i was amazed how the stock cable sounded a lot better than the Meze. This said, it was a cheap cable, im not saying stock cable is better than expensive premium cables, but is far better than other cables at the same price.
I am afraid to try the stock cable - I love the Arctic Cable I had with my HE1000V2 (beautifully constructed) and it would really suck if it sounded worse than stock, hah.

I wonder what the baseline is for the stock cable vs replacement cables.

Apr 19, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #25,440 of 25,593
HFM customer service is great, isn't it. Wondering if your new set was 2.5mm or 3.5? Did you get to specify?
They don't make 2.5 anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back