HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 19, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #25,441 of 25,599
Flux Mentor, ideally 2 in a stack for dual mono (3,000 with all maxed accessories). Single works well too, costs 1,300 usd. No taxes because it’s from Ukraine. It has the benefit of black quiet background (great for instrumental separation), very detailed and impactful lows, detailed highs without sibilance, and large soundstage. As for the accessories, Flux is selling them at cost from expensive power cables to dual mono adapters. Heck even the remote control is a beast. That thing looks plastic but is secretly a solid metal weapon. The electric component is actually very slim and durable and the rest is reinforced steel.

It is also very neutral. As in it doesn’t color your music into something it’s not. Some like the coloring which is why there is such a big tube amp following. My Schiit MJ3 does just that (warmth, bass heavy, and very smooth), and does it well for the Susvara but you just don’t have the resolution that Flux has. You have detailed highs with the MJ3 (sounds like an expensive tube amp on top of that) but you lose the details on lows. Outside the Flux, you’ll need 8K+ SS amps to get those detailed lows.

Flux had to close down production recent due to being bombed by Russian missiles but they will be open for business in about 3 weeks.
I have the Volot and with M2Tech Young Mkiv/ Van Der Graaf MkII into Susvara I agree. I heard that if it wasn't sold direct it would be 4 or 5 x expensive and I believe it as it's an incredible amp imo

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #25,442 of 25,599
They don't make 2.5 anymore.
Makes sense. I'm going through my second "repair" process. First time..replaced with 2.5mm for a really low price. Now HFM is offering me "upgrade" to 3.5mm for a much higher price.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #25,443 of 25,599
I hear you. But I do think it’s cable is fine. Using the standard cable it was able to outshine all the other HPs I listened to at CanJam. I am sure we can do better, but it is not bad sounding cable.

It's definitely a great baseline save for the extra grit and even more clarity and even more layering you get with better cables, but you do need to pay significantly more than the stock cable to achieve that
When i bought susvara i used my balanced Meze cable. Some days later i tried the stock cable, just for curiosity and i was amazed how the stock cable sounded a lot better than the Meze. This said, it was a cheap cable, im not saying stock cable is better than expensive premium cables, but is far better than other cables at the same price.

In terms of sound quality, I'd definitely put the Susvara catheter cable in top 3 of best sounding stock cables out of any headphone brand (including stock DCA Vivo cable)

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #25,444 of 25,599
HFM customer service is great, isn't it. Wondering if your new set was 2.5mm or 3.5? Did you get to specify?
3.5mm I specifically requested this version. I explained I have a lot of money invested in 3.5mm cables. Also, when I sent in the letter per their directions I added a large highlighted note to send the 3.5mm version. It’s also from one of the the latest runs with the black cables.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #25,446 of 25,599
Apr 21, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #25,447 of 25,599
Price/performance i think heimdall 2 is great and Forza noir hybrid.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #25,449 of 25,599
Not feel like investing 3k in a cable, thats about what I paid for Susvara.

Still what would be a meaningful upgrade over Forza noir hybrid? Or just stop there?

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #25,451 of 25,599
I'm curious what pads everyone is using, I've just fitted the Dekoni Fenestrated Leather and am really enjoying them (iFi iCAN Phantom with Tube mode engaged)

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #25,453 of 25,599
Yes apart of Dekoni there are ZMF pads that are supposed to be straight upgrades from Sus pads. About to order one of both, not sure which, I believe the hybrid got more bass and the other one is more refined susvara stock pad tuning.

If someone got those, curious to hear a review.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #25,454 of 25,599
Not feel like investing 3k in a cable, thats about what I paid for Susvara.
The issue is that if you want options to further improve Susvara, there aren't exactly options that will only cost say £/$500. Not that will make as meaningful a difference.

Whether that's worth paying for is another issue, I totally get that. But if you have Susvara and want to max it out, that's the reality.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #25,455 of 25,599
Is using Susvara stock pad ideal? or there are better ones?
Many believe Susvara found the ideal match between bass and midrange. A change of pads tends to be a loss or gain of one or the other. After all, its the "room and dampening" to your ear speaker :) If you are looking to tune, then this can be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back