HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 21, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #25,456 of 25,602
The issue is that if you want options to further improve Susvara, there aren't exactly options that will only cost say £/$500. Not that will make as meaningful a difference.

Whether that's worth paying for is another issue, I totally get that. But if you have Susvara and want to max it out, that's the reality.
Not sure about „reality“ I am sure it’s a great cable, but if I learned something in this hobby - cable products have highest margins and a smaller cable maker can get you the same thing at a much lower pricepoint than established brands. 3k for a cable is bit outthere in my books.

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #25,457 of 25,602
Still what would be a meaningful upgrade over Forza noir hybrid?
Lavricables Grand Silver, you can check out a short review in my signature, highly recommended!

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #25,459 of 25,602
Best performance to price ratio: NorneAudio Special Edition cables (you have to special order, aka directly email the owner for this).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #25,460 of 25,602
Not feel like investing 3k in a cable, thats about what I paid for Susvara.

Still what would be a meaningful upgrade over Forza noir hybrid? Or just stop there?
I'm quite happy with Norne Vykari. Strikes a good balance of being "incredibly high-end" without quite tipping into "obscenely expensive" territory.

That said, there's nothing wrong with Forza Noir Hybrid - I'm very happy with that for my Utopia. I made a conscious decision to go a little up-market with Vykari for Susvara for the sake of the experience, though I'm not entirely sure there is any performative difference.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #25,461 of 25,602
I'm curious what pads everyone is using, I've just fitted the Dekoni Fenestrated Leather and am really enjoying them (iFi iCAN Phantom with Tube mode engaged)
The ZMF Susvara Sheepskin pad is a near tonal copy of the stock pads with slightly more bass and slightly less withdrawn upper mids.

I am obsessed with ZMF Auteur Solid Hybrid pads which basically correct every tonal balance issue you may notice.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #25,462 of 25,602
My refurb Susvara 2.5mm (under warranty still) has on and off sound when I touch the headphone jack. I think it’s loose or something.

Anyway I contacted HiFiman thinking I should just upgrade to 3.5mm and they wanted me to pay 1.5K USD…

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #25,463 of 25,602
Danacable Lazuili Voila.
Trying this in a few months.
Not sure about „reality“ I am sure it’s a great cable, but if I learned something in this hobby - cable products have highest margins and a smaller cable maker can get you the same thing at a much lower pricepoint than established brands. 3k for a cable is bit outthere in my books.
The 'reality' I mentioned was the notion of maxing out Susvara. So if we're talking about maxing it out, I would think a high-end cable upgrade would have to be part of the conversation.

And if you have established relationships with cable makers even just from buying adapters or smaller items, they will give you deals anywhere between 15-20%. Expensive still? Yes. But now as much so.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to spend 3k on a cable they don't think is necessary. Was just speculating on how you can max out a Susvara if cost is not a consideration.

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #25,464 of 25,602
My refurb Susvara 2.5mm (under warranty still) has on and off sound when I touch the headphone jack. I think it’s loose or something.

Anyway I contacted HiFiman thinking I should just upgrade to 3.5mm and they wanted me to pay 1.5K USD…
I find all 3.5mm versions of susvara are like this. If i put my arms on my head, my shoulders push the connectors and they disconnect with sound. For the 3 pairs i have had they all do it. It doesnt take much either! This is by FAR the poorest part of Susvara - The rest i find to be perfect.

Apr 22, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #25,465 of 25,602
Never had that issue with 3.5mm.

Apr 22, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #25,467 of 25,602
Never had that issue with 3.5mm.
Grab hold of it, push with your finger it will disconnect. 3 of mine did. CORRECTION: It does with "Some" connectors! The original cables are perfectly fine! My bad!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #25,468 of 25,602
Curious, how much do I truly need to spend on bookshelves/power amp to compete with the Susvara? I was going to use the same chain as in my signature and get single or dual AHB2. Curious if I have to spend a lot more to be on the same level of the Susvara or spending 10k on a used pair of bookshelves will get me there. Thanks.

Apr 22, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #25,469 of 25,602
Curious, how much do I truly need to spend on bookshelves/power amp to compete with the Susvara? I was going to use the same chain as in my signature and get single or dual AHB2. Curious if I have to spend a lot more to be on the same level of the Susvara or spending 10k on a used pair of bookshelves will get me there. Thanks.
10k on bookshelves. 15k on floorstanders sounds about right to me

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #25,470 of 25,602
I prefer the presentation of speakers to headphones, so my answer would be "not very much". A friend of mine has a set of $600 Elac stand-mounts and an older NAD integrated amp he got on the cheap, and I think it sounds great in his (smaller) living room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back