Hifiman RE272: Review
Aug 29, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #61 of 273

Quote:
Okay, then perhaps I have a bad pair.  Throw in the fact that I also received a bad cable and don't care for the fit and they are going back.

Just curious, which one of the cable is bad?

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #64 of 273

Quote:
The grey one is bad...out of box failure.  Not good.

I already explained on my previous post, the grey cable is the one with TRRS plug for balanced audio. It is not broken, just that you source doesn't have the right balanced output socket to use it. That cable is mainly designed to be use with HM801's balanced amp module, or adapter to other kind of balanced output source.

Normal TRS cable (black) takes [Left / Right / Ground], but the TRRS cable (grey) takes [Left+ / Right+ / Left- / Right-] signal. If you plug the TRRS cable to TRS socket (i.e. normal DAP), only the first three pins will get connected, so you are only getting the left channel (L- goes to Ground)  because the right channel isn't connect (R- to nowhere).

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #65 of 273
Oh yes...sorry my bad.  You did say that

Instructions or some type of user guide would have been helpful.  A 36" cable plus another one either 14" or 16" would have been better versus all cables being 14 or 16" and having to snap them all together.

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #66 of 273
There is a simple manual in the box that lists down which cable is for what, but I guess they could have explained it with more detail.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #68 of 273
I currently have 272 sample from a few days and my impression is :
atsmile.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #71 of 273
Hmm... ok guys I am still not sure about the bass on RE272. On the one hand, it is really fast and detailed. I listen to my music at low volumes and it sounds just fine like that. But when I compare directly to my RE0, FX700 and DT880, the RE272 bass seems to miss a bit of depth and also some definition at higher volume levels. Speed and details are superior on RE272 to the three aforementioned headphones, but depth and tightness are lacking even compared to unamped RE0 at high volumes on a few dance tracks that I tested. I messed around with the fit and at one point it seems as though the bass defintion and depth improved but only for a moment and then it was back to so-so performance in this regard and still lagging behind the RE0 and the others. The mids and highs are superb with the RE272 though, no question about that, although I think that overall, all four of these cans - RE0, RE272, FX700 and DT880 - are all really great and there is really no clear winner among them as they each have their strengths and weaknesses. Well, at least to my ears. I realize that I've come to a point in my journey where the differences between the headphones are becoming so subtle that I am often wondering if they are really there or if it's just placebo.

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #72 of 273

Quote:
Hmm... ok guys I am still not sure about the bass on RE272. On the one hand, it is really fast and detailed. I listen to my music at low volumes and it sounds just fine like that. But when I compare directly to my RE0, FX700 and DT880, the RE272 bass seems to miss a bit of depth and also some definition at higher volume levels. Speed and details are superior on RE272 to the three aforementioned headphones, but depth and tightness are lacking even compared to unamped RE0 at high volumes on a few dance tracks that I tested.

I am not surprised. Granted that I had a very short time frame with it, the bass of RE272 was one of the factors on which my opinions kept changing. If I had more time, probably another week or so, I could have come up with a much more coherent view of things.

Quote:
......there is really no clear winner among them as they each have their strengths and weaknesses. Well, at least to my ears. I realize that I've come to a point in my journey where the differences between the headphones are becoming so subtle that I am often wondering if they are really there or if it's just placebo.

Welcome to the club, Pianist
wink.gif
. Have been in that camp for sometime now.

Aug 31, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #73 of 273

Quote:
 I realize that I've come to a point in my journey where the differences between the headphones are becoming so subtle that I am often wondering if they are really there or if it's just placebo.

Quote:
Welcome to the club, Pianist
wink.gif
. Have been in that camp for sometime now.

Hmmm... As much as I hate to admit but I've been starting to realize that too. Well I guess my journey in HiFi will be slowing down from now and I shall concentrate more in other things in my life... while still enjoying the great music around me 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #74 of 273
Terrific review.

Bravo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back