HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Jan 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #1,171 of 1,779
Jan 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #1,173 of 1,779
Outstanding review esecially for people like me who are making our initial foray into higher priced headphones.  Your excellent conclusions regarding the suitablility of portable amps for the HE 500 is much appreceated as these amps are the ones people like me who own low fi and mid fi equipment are most familiar with.  Thank you

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #1,174 of 1,779

Quote:
If you like the sound of the HD580 you will definitely like the HE-500s. The sonic signature is quite similar to my ears but the HE-500 is just way better in all aspects, more musical and with lovely slam and impact. I have a small head too so perhaps you could use my headband settings as a reference as I have both headphones. I wear the Sennheiser HD580 about three clicks down on the headband on both sides and have to use the minimum setting on the HE-500 headband for them to fit so I think that should give a pretty good idea! The HE-500 is reasonably comfortable but definitely not on par with the HD580.

Thanks, that's really helpful!  I'll check out where they are set for me when I get home and hopefully that matches up.  If not, if at least I'm very close to that, then it should still be fine. I'm going to be using them exclusively at home on a desktop setup so I can work something out to make them fit better.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #1,175 of 1,779
So there was a few people that I guess had some problems with headroom fulfilling orders in a timely fashion. I ordered mine on Friday and it shipped out today so I guess they are back on the ball as far as shipping. Besides having the advantage of dealing with a US based company to get the HE500s, they also offer 3 day free shipping on the phones, so thats pretty sweet. Looking forward to getting them!

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #1,177 of 1,779
I have a Burson HA160 on the way, expected in 2 weeks though.  I think it is the absolute perfect amplifier for use with the HE500.  Not overkill in output, well priced and has exceptional staging qualities.  Can't wait! 

Edit: Actually, I won't be updating it, not enough subs and comments in the main thread for it

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,178 of 1,779
My HE500s are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow... I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow night with initial comments..

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #1,179 of 1,779
Hope you enjoy them!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,181 of 1,779
This is an excellent pairing 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Mine will get here Friday. I'll pair them with my Lyr. Very much looking forward it!

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #1,182 of 1,779
So mine just arrived, all that was in the headroom box was the hifiman hard case, don't hifiman put their stuff in a proper box? Anyways the headroom box wasn't filled in so the hifiman case with the phones inside must have been bouncing around quite a bit. A little annoying. 

So the headphones sound pretty good right of the box, waiting to get my more powerful wa6se amp to write first impressions. Luckily my cable arrived with a 1/4 inch termination but I'm not crazy about the super thin silver cable. I'll have pics up soon

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #1,183 of 1,779

Quote:
So mine just arrived, all that was in the headroom box was the hifiman hard case, don't hifiman put their stuff in a proper box? Anyways the headroom box wasn't filled in so the hifiman case with the phones inside must have been bouncing around quite a bit. A little annoying. 

So the headphones sound pretty good right of the box, waiting to get my more powerful wa6se amp to write first impressions. Luckily my cable arrived with a 1/4 inch termination but I'm not crazy about the super thin silver cable. I'll have pics up soon

I wouldn't like that either... I received mine in a very nice (fake) leatherish box with extra connectors and pads. But it seems the latest version with the new silver cable (which I suppose you have) is only delivered in the travel hard case.
That probably is related to the price decrease as well I suppose. Just my 0.02

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #1,184 of 1,779

Quote:
I wouldn't like that either... I received mine in a very nice (fake) leatherish box with extra connectors and pads. But it seems the latest version with the new silver cable (which I suppose you have) is only delivered in the travel hard case.
That probably is related to the price decrease as well I suppose. Just my 0.02

I think meant that the hard case was simply boxed in the shipping box. This is how I received mine.

As for the silver cable, it may not be the most durable, but I love how lightweight and flexible it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back