HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Jan 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #1,141 of 1,779
Funny the pair I got few weeks back is terminated in 1/8th, but the connectors are marked with L and R rather than a red and black sticker. I am quite happy actually, it looks much nicer. I can provide pics tomorrow if you guys would like.

Dan

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 6, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,142 of 1,779
Hey guys,

So I e-mailed head-direct about the silver cable that is coming with the HE500s. They say the cable is currently being shipped with a terminated 1/4 inch adaptor. So don't know why some people received a cable terminated with an 1/8inch adaptor, and others that seemed to be copper instead of silver. I'm actually becoming a little uncomfortable about ordering with all the inconsistencies, maybe I'll wait until it stabilizes.

I also asked about the possibility of getting stuck with a custom fee upon arrival of the headphones. All they said was "normally doesn't happen" haha, very reassuring. I know at least one person on this thread had that issue, anyone have that happen to them? 

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #1,143 of 1,779

Quote:

I also asked about the possibility of getting stuck with a custom fee upon arrival of the headphones. All they said was "normally doesn't happen" haha, very reassuring. I know at least one person on this thread had that issue, anyone have that happen to them? 

Have ordered from Head-Direct twice and never had to pay any custom fee. Ordered my lcd-2 from ALO and had to pay, I'm sitting down now, 50% extra. That hurt.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #1,144 of 1,779
Hey guys,

So I e-mailed head-direct about the silver cable that is coming with the HE500s. They say the cable is currently being shipped with a terminated 1/4 inch adaptor. So don't know why some people received a cable terminated with an 1/8inch adaptor, and others that seemed to be copper instead of silver. I'm actually becoming a little uncomfortable about ordering with all the inconsistencies, maybe I'll wait until it stabilizes.

It's hit and miss with customs fees. I've been hit on about 50% of my shipments from them. However you can't blame HeadDirect, it's the laws of the target country that applies so in theory you should get hit every time so just be happy that you don't

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #1,145 of 1,779

Quote:
It's hit and miss with customs fees. I've been hit on about 50% of my shipments from them. However you can't blame HeadDirect, it's the laws of the target country that applies so in theory you should get hit every time so just be happy that you don't

fair enough :wink:

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #1,146 of 1,779
Good to know though - if one knew this in advance they would probably try to buy locally or try other resellers.

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #1,147 of 1,779
My cord looked silver, and had the 1/8th. Ordered 12-16, arrived 12-23.

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #1,148 of 1,779

Quote:
Good to know though - if one knew this in advance they would probably try to buy locally or try other resellers.

yea that was the idea... it would be nice for the website to warn you before you purchase, but maybe that would be bad for business...

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #1,149 of 1,779

Quote:
My cord looked silver, and had the 1/8th. Ordered 12-16, arrived 12-23.

from what I read, it seems like they switched back the the 1/4 inch.. don't know why they even shipped any units with the 1/8th, it would of made sense for the HE400 but not the 500.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #1,150 of 1,779
Anyone know how these sound with a two-channel Beta22?
I'm pretty much set on saving up money to buy myself a pair of these, but I shouldn't do it too quickly after spending so much money on my Beta22 (even though it's not even done yet; blew the JFETS)

Even though I don't even have the money yet, I still can't wait until I own a pair. The curse of being an audiophile, I'd say.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #1,151 of 1,779
has anyone had experience with returning any HifiMan products within their 30 day return period? is it pretty easy to get the return authorization and get your $ back? I'm thinking of taking the plunge but want to make sure there is a safety net incase these aren't exactly what I'm looking for.. Also I couldn't find anything about a restocking fee?

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #1,152 of 1,779
I'm in the market for a new pair of open backed over ear headphones, something that has the quality that I want for my music but also more bass than I would usually look for as I'm going to use them for music and games as well.  Everything I've read so far on the HE-500s suggests that they're what I want and a bargain when comparing them to the top of the line headphones from other companies!

I was confused at first by some of the discussions about the price as I live in the UK and they retail here for the same price as the Beyer T1s.  I finally realised WHY I was so confused and dear god will I NOT be ordering them within the UK! 

My one concern though is that I apparently have quite a small head.  Most headphones either don't fit me properly or only fit me on the smallest settings.  I've got a pair of Beyer DT1350s and these fit great two slots up from the smallest, but everyone else who uses them makes them way bigger.  I've also got a pair of HD-580s, which fit fine but also are set quite small, so I was wondering if anyone has tried the HE-500s and either of those to compare the size.  I would hate to pick up a pair of these and then have them not fit properly and have to sell them on knowing how good they sound!

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #1,153 of 1,779
You can do a fair bit of adjusting by bending the headband as it has a metal plate running through it

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #1,154 of 1,779

Quote:
Anyone know how these sound with a two-channel Beta22?
I'm pretty much set on saving up money to buy myself a pair of these, but I shouldn't do it too quickly after spending so much money on my Beta22 (even though it's not even done yet; blew the JFETS)
Even though I don't even have the money yet, I still can't wait until I own a pair. The curse of being an audiophile, I'd say.

I haven't heard a Beta22 but according to its specs it should be a very good amp for HE-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back