HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Jan 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #1,186 of 1,779

Quote:

I think meant that the hard case was simply boxed in the shipping box. This is how I received mine.

As for the silver cable, it may not be the most durable, but I love how lightweight and flexible it is.

Yea that's what I meant, wasn't sure if that was normal or not. For example my ultrasones have a hard case as well but that came packaged in a ultrasone box (I feel like that's a reasonable standard). 

And yea my concern is that cable is going to fall apart! Haha looks totally flimsy.. Besides these problems even with my weak amp, these headphones sound awesome, I love the fact that there is no sibilance right out of the box! Only other headphone I experienced that with was the sen650s.. Besides being smooth the music is very well articulated too, everything is present, clear, and enjoyable. Can't wait to see how well these scale up with a better amp..!

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,187 of 1,779
Let them first burn-in and settle down..then get a better amp and make them babies sing...

Quote:

Yea that's what I meant, wasn't sure if that was normal or not. For example my ultrasones have a hard case as well but that came packaged in a ultrasone box (I feel like that's a reasonable standard). 

And yea my concern is that cable is going to fall apart! Haha looks totally flimsy.. Besides these problems even with my weak amp, these headphones sound awesome, I love the fact that there is no sibilance right out of the box! Only other headphone I experienced that with was the sen650s.. Besides being smooth the music is very well articulated too, everything is present, clear, and enjoyable. Can't wait to see how well these scale up with a better amp..!

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #1,188 of 1,779
Better amp coming in next week and in the mean time I'm burning in.. Any recommendation on burn in number of hours?

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #1,189 of 1,779
Better amp coming in next week and in the mean time I'm burning in.. Any recommendation on burn in number of hours?

In my opinion that's a weird question.
You listen to them whenever you want to listen to them. If you are a believer of burn-in then you make them gobble up music (or noise) even when you're not listening to it, until you feel there is no change anymore.
Not having 'enough' burn-in doesn't exist, because it's not like they are unbearable without burn-in.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #1,190 of 1,779
5-10 hours should do. A different amp will do more...

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #1,191 of 1,779

Quote:

I can say my cable is the HE6 single ended cable copper but it has the adapter on it so I either have to reterminate it or get another cable. I have my mini meet in 2 weeks and will have some cables so look for impressions.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #1,192 of 1,779
Trevor from Norse audio is making me a one of a kind 8-wire HE series cable.will be here around next week..will show some impressions later..can't wait for it to arrive..

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #1,193 of 1,779
hey guys im about to order this headphone....but i only have a asus essence xonar stx sound card with built in amp to power it.

Will this be enough to get at least 80% of the headphone's potential?

Jan 14, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #1,194 of 1,779
hey guys im about to order this headphone....but i only have a asus essence xonar stx sound card with built in amp to power it.

Will this be enough to get at least 80% of the headphone's potential?

Lets see. 2Vrms at 38Ohms = 105mW
Sensitivity = 89dB/1mW.
Therefore Max volume = 109dB

That's a little on the short side volume wise, but it's a good start. I think you will definitely be able to enjoy these cans out of your sound card, but it would improve with a more powerful amp.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #1,195 of 1,779

Quote:
Lets see. 2Vrms at 38Ohms = 105mW
Sensitivity = 89dB/1mW.
Therefore Max volume = 109dB
That's a little on the short side volume wise, but it's a good start. I think you will definitely be able to enjoy these cans out of your sound card, but it would improve with a more powerful amp.

which amp under 500 dollars would you suggest? i need it to accept digital pcm out from the xonar stx for a pure source signal. 

right now:
Foobar2k => hardware ASIO => headphone out 1/4"

After i get a external amp for around 500:
foobar2k =>hardware ASIO => asus xonar stx optical coax/digital out => some kind of 500ish dollar amp => headphones

I am totally lost as to what exactly in my price range will be a good enough upgrade over my stx xonar. It has an output impedance of 10, which i read is bad for low ohm headphones.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #1,196 of 1,779
which amp under 500 dollars would you suggest? i need it to accept digital pcm out from the xonar stx for a pure source signal. 

right now:
Foobar2k => hardware ASIO => headphone out 1/4"

After i get a external amp for around 500:
foobar2k =>hardware ASIO => asus xonar stx optical coax/digital out => some kind of 500ish dollar amp => headphones

I am totally lost as to what exactly in my price range will be a good enough upgrade over my stx xonar. It has an output impedance of 10, which i read is bad for low ohm headphones.

You realize that if it can accept a digital signal it's not an amp anymore but an amp/DAC combo?

You could get a Audio-GD NFB-10SE, although that is touching the very upper limit of your budget. It is probably the best thing you can get for $500 though.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #1,197 of 1,779
I have the HE500 (with moon audio black dragon v2 cable, 4-pin terminated) and audio gd NFB-10SE on the way. Will post impressions when I get them both
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #1,198 of 1,779
is the upgrade really going to be worth it? 500 bucks for a small increase in sound quality seems a bit steep =/

Also....should i sell my sennheiser hd 600 and denon ahd2000 if im going for the hifiman he-500? seems like it would destroy all of my current headphones even with my asus xonar stx as my source / dac / amp.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #1,199 of 1,779
1) Depends how much you like it and how much 500 bucks is to you

2) I still enjoy my HD650 very much after I got the LCD2 and HE500. It's a great thing to have several headphones, and if you do not need the funds, I guess there would still be a place for your other phones. Only one way to find out, though :)

More than 50 % of enjoying a headphone is enjoying the sound signature, and no headphone has the same :)

Quote:
is the upgrade really going to be worth it? 500 bucks for a small increase in sound quality seems a bit steep =/

Also....should i sell my sennheiser hd 600 and denon ahd2000 if im going for the hifiman he-500? seems like it would destroy all of my current headphones even with my asus xonar stx as my source / dac / amp.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,200 of 1,779

Quote:

Trust me the difference is not small, trust me on that one.  It makes the STX appear poor value IMO.  Just doesn't smooth sibilants like some amps do which kind of rules out some headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back