HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Jun 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #631 of 1,779
Can some of you measure the resistance of the drivers in your HE-500? I have a pair of HE-5LE and the drivers measure 46.7-ohms and 46.5-ohms. The HE-500 I received last week measures 33.6-ohms on the right driver and 42.9-ohms on the left driver.

In comparing the 5LE and the 500, I can't hear any difference in the left-to-right balance despite the large difference in the 500 driver resistance. Typically you would expect the drivers on any pair of phones to measure about the same and I have never measured any phones that were as far apart as my 500.

I contacted Head Direct this past Monday but I haven't had an answer from Fang as to whether the measurement on my 500 is typical or indicates a problem. If some of you measure yours I think it will answer whether or not my 500 is ok or needs to be replaced. Thanks in advance.

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #632 of 1,779
I borrowed a multimeter and i will test mine tomorrow, shall post back here with my conclusion.

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #633 of 1,779
Can some of you measure the resistance of the drivers in your HE-500? I have a pair of HE-5LE and the drivers measure 46.7-ohms and 46.5-ohms. The HE-500 I received last week measures 33.6-ohms on the right driver and 42.9-ohms on the left driver.

In comparing the 5LE and the 500, I can't hear any difference in the left-to-right balance despite the large difference in the 500 driver resistance. Typically you would expect the drivers on any pair of phones to measure about the same and I have never measured any phones that were as far apart as my 500.

I contacted Head Direct this past Monday but I haven't had an answer from Fang as to whether the measurement on my 500 is typical or indicates a problem. If some of you measure yours I think it will answer whether or not my 500 is ok or needs to be replaced. Thanks in advance.

I am in a similar situation as you can read here and here. I was able to hear a "shift to the left" soundstage difference.

After contacting Fang and Head-direct customer service I was suggested to ship the problematic lower impedance driver back to China (I'm not in US so I am dealing with Head-direct international offices located in China). I DHL-ed my left earpiece back a week ago and now I am waiting on a new earpiece with new driver which will match the impedance of my "good" earpiece.

You do not experience any L/R SQ issues so you have the option to leave it be and not to fuss with shipping back and waiting. In any case do try to contact Fang/Head-direct again.

In my case, since L/R drivers of my other phones measure within an Ohm or two, since I do not want my headamps to see that much L/R channel load difference and, crucially, since there is this strange soundstage shift - I've decided to ask for earpiece replacement (despite having to cover back shipping cost and wait for unspecified amount of time while, ultimately, this could be described as a production and/or quality assurance fault that should not have happened in the first place... not for the asking price anyway).

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #634 of 1,779
Thanks for responding FauDrei. Your drivers actually measure worse than mine. As you said, it doesn't seem like this should be happening on phones that cost this much.

I just received a reply from Head-Direct. Fang recommends my 500s be replaced. I have already spoken to Drew at Moon Audio and he immediately offered to replace them. He doesn't have any right now and is waiting for some to come in, so I will be waiting. I'm interested in hearing from other 500 owners to see how widespread this problem is. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #635 of 1,779
Has anyone here compared the HE-500's to the Fostex T50RP's? To my ears the T50rp's posses some of the best mids I've ever heard from a headphone 
biggrin.gif

Just wondering how they compare and if the HE-500's are worth the upgrade. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #636 of 1,779
Ok i tested both my drivers and i got a reading of 39.5 and 39.2, i tested each side about 3-4x and came up with the same numbers. So its consistent for me. Phew!

Quote:

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #637 of 1,779
I feel the need to test mine as well. I'll see if I can get my hands on a multimeter. 

Anyone in Austin that's got one? :D

EDIT: 10 bucks at Home Depot for an Analog Multimeter. I work right next to one. Aww yeah. Looks like my HE 500 is coming to work.

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #638 of 1,779
I know people are still comparing these, but I was wondering if someone has, as of yet, compared them to the D7000s?

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #639 of 1,779
Today, I finaly received my hifiman HE-500! I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed, that is why I need your help.

I'm listening to good mp3s on my PC through my Little Dot Dac 2, and so far was using my AKG-701. I'm not an expert, and I have very few references. Although my AKG sounded a bit weak, I liked the overall airy sound. I listen mostly to female vocals, some bluesy/jazzy stuff, and some light rock.

My hifiman makes the sound creamier, drums and bass are better but honestly I cant say that mids are better, and trebble might be a bit better. On some songs, I feel like the sound is bottled up. On some others I can hear hisses that I didn't previously with the AKG. There is no wow effect so far. If I had to grade both cans, I would put a 7 out of 10 for the AKG-701 and 8 for the hifiman. 

I'm thinking that my little dot Dac 2 is the culprit here (let's hope there is a culprit because I really want a wow effect!) and I'm ready to buy an amp. I have 500-$600 max. 

Would you rather advise me a Lyr or an EF5? Should I sell my dac ? I sure don't have the money for the Burson 1600-D. Since I live in europe, I cant go to meetings, or try stuff. I need to order from the web only.

A big thank you in advance.

On a positive note, I don't think they are that heavy. I think they are quite confortable. I wish the headband foam was thicker though.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #642 of 1,779
I know people are still comparing these, but I was wondering if someone has, as of yet, compared them to the D7000s?

My review will focus quite a bit on this comparisson. To give you a rough idea, I no longer own my D7000. :D

I actually just posted a little example in the D7000 thread. Biggest differences are improved clarity and soundstage on the HE 500, with less (but more textured) bass. Both excellent cans though.

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #643 of 1,779

Quote:
Quote:

My review will focus quite a bit on this comparisson. To give you a rough idea, I no longer own my D7000.
biggrin.gif

I actually just posted a little example in the D7000 thread. Biggest differences are improved clarity and soundstage on the HE 500, with less (but more textured) bass. Both excellent cans though.

Thanks, I'm anxious to see the comparison reviews on these two cans. :)

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #645 of 1,779

Quote:
Today, I finaly received my hifiman HE-500! I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed, that is why I need your help.

I'm listening to good mp3s on my PC through my Little Dot Dac 2, and so far was using my AKG-701. I'm not an expert, and I have very few references. Although my AKG sounded a bit weak, I liked the overall airy sound. I listen mostly to female vocals, some bluesy/jazzy stuff, and some light rock.

My hifiman makes the sound creamier, drums and bass are better but honestly I cant say that mids are better, and trebble might be a bit better. On some songs, I feel like the sound is bottled up. On some others I can hear hisses that I didn't previously with the AKG. There is no wow effect so far. If I had to grade both cans, I would put a 7 out of 10 for the AKG-701 and 8 for the hifiman. 

I'm thinking that my little dot Dac 2 is the culprit here (let's hope there is a culprit because I really want a wow effect!) and I'm ready to buy an amp. I have 500-$600 max. 

Would you rather advise me a Lyr or an EF5? Should I sell my dac ? I sure don't have the money for the Burson 1600-D. Since I live in europe, I cant go to meetings, or try stuff. I need to order from the web only.

A big thank you in advance.

On a positive note, I don't think they are that heavy. I think they are quite confortable. I wish the headband foam was thicker though.

I thought the Lyr and the K701 was an excellent match, better than the K701 with the EF5. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back