HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 27, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #571 of 1,779
@brasewel: I didn't do either. I got it from Jin Park.

@morbidtoaster: Hey, I got to try all I have. LOL. I will say the HE500 needs more juice than the HD800 so I'm not expecting too much from the Fiio E5. I think Fang avoided another mistake by renaming the HE6p to the now HE500. I don't really think they're properly driven with a portable amp just like the HE6 is (not) properly driven with a regular headphone amp like the ad in Stereophile stated.

May 27, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #572 of 1,779

Quote:
@morbidtoaster: Hey, I got to try all I have. LOL. I will say the HE500 needs more juice than the HD800 so I'm not expecting too much from the Fiio E5. I think Fang avoided another mistake by renaming the HE6p to the now HE500. I don't really think they're properly driven with a portable amp just like the HE6 is (not) properly driven with a regular headphone amp like the ad in Stereophile stated.

Not only is the HE500 too inefficient to be driven from most portable amps, but the fact that it's open, doesn't come with a suitable travel case, or feature a 1/8" termination also reflects a lack of portability. Perhaps HiFiMAN will still release an HE6p that will be competitive with the Edition 8s and T5ps of the world.

May 27, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #573 of 1,779

Not only is the HE500 too inefficient to be driven from most portable amps, but the fact that it's open, doesn't come with a suitable travel case, or feature a 1/8" termination also reflects a lack of portability. Perhaps HiFiMAN will still release an HE6p that will be competitive with the Edition 8s and T5ps of the world.

I'd love to see some more high end closed portables on the market. Plus HiFiMan has their looks down. I think they produce something great.

May 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #574 of 1,779
Ah well I got myself a HE5-LE without doing enough research, didn't even get to use it much yet (didn't have a suitable amp before the Lyr arrived)... Maybe I should have waited for HE6 / LCD-2 / HE500; then again my budget is usually <$600 on cans, a grand sounded like a bit of a stretch anyway 
redface.gif

May 27, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #575 of 1,779
Ah well I got myself a HE5-LE without doing enough research, didn't even get to use it much yet (didn't have a suitable amp before the Lyr arrived)... Maybe I should have waited for HE6 / LCD-2 / HE500; then again my budget is usually <$600 on cans, a grand sounded like a bit of a stretch anyway 
redface.gif

The 5LE is by no means a bad headphone though. Enjoy them. They're the headphone that got me looking at the HE series in general. Loved them at the meet I heard them at.

May 27, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #576 of 1,779

Quote:
Ross did you get Lee's HE-500 or did you buy a pair for yourself?

I ended up keeping the ones from the meet..listening to them now.

May 27, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #577 of 1,779
Quote:Originally Posted by grokit 

"Not only is the HE500 too inefficient to be driven from most portable amps, but the fact that it's open, doesn't come with a suitable travel case, or feature a 1/8" termination also reflects a lack of portability. Perhaps HiFiMAN will still release an HE6p that will be competitive with the Edition 8s and T5ps of the world."

I suspect closing them in would increase efficiency somewhat since the closed design would concentrate sound waves and reflect them back toward the ear. A closed design would be a rework though and cost HiFiMAN R&D when his open design is already shared across the lineup. A closed cup isn't simply a closed version of an open design. Plus the current HE4,5,5LE,500,6 size and weight may be okay for possibly an even heavier closed 'phone for home/studio use but unless it's entirely revamped it's way to bulky and inconvenient for portable use.

May 27, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #578 of 1,779
FYI...Hifiman makes a thinner, 1/8" terminated set of cables for the HE500's.

May 31, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #579 of 1,779
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by grokit 

"Not only is the HE500 too inefficient to be driven from most portable amps, but the fact that it's open, doesn't come with a suitable travel case, or feature a 1/8" termination also reflects a lack of portability. Perhaps HiFiMAN will still release an HE6p that will be competitive with the Edition 8s and T5ps of the world."

I suspect closing them in would increase efficiency somewhat since the closed design would concentrate sound waves and reflect them back toward the ear. A closed design would be a rework though and cost HiFiMAN R&D when his open design is already shared across the lineup. A closed cup isn't simply a closed version of an open design. Plus the current HE4,5,5LE,500,6 size and weight may be okay for possibly an even heavier closed 'phone for home/studio use but unless it's entirely revamped it's way to bulky and inconvenient for portable use.

Ross you've had a good amount of time with the 5LEs, how do you think it compares to the HE-500s in tonal balance?  

May 31, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #580 of 1,779
Quote:Originally Posted by sphinxvc 

Quote:
"Ross you've had a good amount of time with the 5LEs, how do you think it compares to the HE-500s in tonal balance?"

I think the HE500 has a richer tone than the 5LE. When I had the HE5LE (twice) I thought it was very clean. Although the HE500 has a pretty flat response, it is fuller. Without a direct A/B using the same amp I can't post anything too detailed. I haven't even plugged the HE500 into my solid state amp yet. I was finishing up my other review. I'll do that before I have to send it out. I will say that I think the HE500 is better than the 5LE yet probably falls just short of the HE6. But you don't need as special an amp as the HE6 does because of the better efficiency. So that could be worth getting the HE500 over the HE6 just for that reason. The HE5LE is still a terrific headphone.

May 31, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #581 of 1,779
I was able to listen to the HE-6 through the Apex P/V and maxxed WA-5 this Saturday and all I can say is that the HE-6 is a little better at best. I did not have the HE-500 for a direct comparison but from my memory it was a close call.

May 31, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #582 of 1,779
I was able to listen to the HE-6 through the Apex P/V and maxxed WA-5 this Saturday and all I can say is that the HE-6 is a little better at best. I did not have the HE-500 for a direct comparison but from my memory it was a close call.

I agree with this assessment. The differences are minimal with the 6s having a larger, airy soundstage, more sub bass presence and stronger high end. The 500s have more mid bass presence and closer to the RS-1 soundstage. The 500s would be my choice for small venue/studio recorded music and the 6s for large venue/live material.

May 31, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #583 of 1,779
I'm listening to the HE500 with my SE three channel, two chassis beta22/sigma22 amp and I think it sounds fantastic. I've had great results with the Woo WA6SE and the WA2 but I just love this paring. It seems to be more alive with the beta22. I will say that if amping is an issue and you don't have the power to properly and fully drive the HE6 then the HE500 is a very, very good alternative. I'll write more detailed impressions later.

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #584 of 1,779
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by sphinxvc 

Quote:
"Ross you've had a good amount of time with the 5LEs, how do you think it compares to the HE-500s in tonal balance?"

I think the HE500 has a richer tone than the 5LE. When I had the HE5LE (twice) I thought it was very clean. Although the HE500 has a pretty flat response, it is fuller. Without a direct A/B using the same amp I can't post anything too detailed. I haven't even plugged the HE500 into my solid state amp yet. I was finishing up my other review. I'll do that before I have to send it out. I will say that I think the HE500 is better than the 5LE yet probably falls just short of the HE6. But you don't need as special an amp as the HE6 does because of the better efficiency. So that could be worth getting the HE500 over the HE6 just for that reason. The HE5LE is still a terrific headphone.

Hmm, how do you mean richer in tone?  And do you still feel that after trying them on your Beta?  Maybe I used the wrong term but by 'tonal balance' I meant balance in the frequency spectrum (lows, mids, highs).  From what I can remember of my brief demo with the 500s they were pretty similar to the 5LEs in that respect, only the resolution was better, just thought I'd confirm that with you.

How much more efficient do you feel the HE-500s are than the 5LEs?

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #585 of 1,779
So I'm considering an idea: ditch my 5LEs and plans to buy the Lyr and get the HE-500s instead.  What do y'all think?  It ought to be efficient enough to be run off my Sony receiver's HPO for now (which I quite like at low-moderate levels with the 5LEs) and efficient enough to give me multiple amping options in the future (unlike the 5LEs).  It also has better resolution from the get go.

Lee, the 500s off that 7N7ed Woo 6, did you have a chance to try that combo?  If you did, how did it compare to your Lyr pairing?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back