HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #541 of 1,779
The WA22 is a very nice amp however you will end up spending a lot of money on tube upgrades. I haven't heard the HE-500 through it but I'm sure it will sound good. I still prefer my Apache to the WA22 for most headphones

May 26, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #542 of 1,779
The WA 22 with all the fixins is still $500 less than the Apache though. I'm looking at other options, of course though. The Apache is definitely on my list.

What other options do I have for 4 Pin Balanced though? I'd prefer it to Dual 3s.

Quote:
The WA22 is a very nice amp however you will end up spending a lot of money on tube upgrades. I haven't heard the HE-500 through it but I'm sure it will sound good. I still prefer my Apache to the WA22 for most headphones

May 26, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #543 of 1,779

Quote:
The WA 22 with all the fixins is still $500 less than the Apache though. I'm looking at other options, of course though. The Apache is definitely on my list.

What other options do I have for 4 Pin Balanced though? I'd prefer it to Dual 3s.

I don't recommend buying a new Apache, it's not worth the $3k price tag. You can find a fully upgraded Rev C Apache for around $2.2k. Your other options is the Apex Peak/Volcano at $2.1k, Eddie Current amps, Liquid Fire at $2.8k, RWA Isabellina(SE) at $2.5k and balanced at $3k (however I wasn't really impressed with it especially at it's selling price).

May 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #544 of 1,779
I found HE-500 were pretty easy to drive and I actually preferred mating them with my SS amp over my tube amp.  Before spending so much more for an amp, you might want to take your HE-500 to a meet to get a sense of their compatibility with different amps or if they're even preferrable to what you already have.  Milosz amp comparison thread is also a good reality check.  

May 26, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #545 of 1,779

Quote:
I found HE-500 were pretty easy to drive and I actually preferred mating them with my SS amp over my tube amp.  Before spending so much more for an amp, you might want to take your HE-500 to a meet to get a sense of their compatibility with different amps or if they're even preferrable to what you already have.  Milosz amp comparison thread is also a good reality check.  

Agreed. I got a little lucky with my amp purchase but it's always better to audition before spending that kind of money.

May 26, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #546 of 1,779
It's still a ways down the road, but I'm hoping to get to a meet. The biggest problem is because I'm looking to go balanced I'd have to find a meet with someone that has a Balanced HE series cable and a Balanced amp. 

I could get an idea for SS vs Tubes, sure, but it's still really tough to get the exact information I'd need.

It also narrows it down because I'm looking to go 4 Pin. I'm definitely hoping to not buy blind, but it's been my only option to this point. Haven't felt let down yet. :D

EDIT: I'm also hearing quite a few people liking Tubes and quite a few liking SS. Seems like the HE 500 pairs well with everything. lol

Quote:

May 26, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #547 of 1,779

Quote:
It's still a ways down the road, but I'm hoping to get to a meet. The biggest problem is because I'm looking to go balanced I'd have to find a meet with someone that has a Balanced HE series cable and a Balanced amp. 

I could get an idea for SS vs Tubes, sure, but it's still really tough to get the exact information I'd need.

It also narrows it down because I'm looking to go 4 Pin. I'm definitely hoping to not buy blind, but it's been my only option to this point. Haven't felt let down yet. :D

Why do you want to go balanced? Frankly speaking I don't see the advantages of going balanced especially with planars. Yes I use my LCDs in balanced mode but that's just because I have the option.

May 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #548 of 1,779
Whether the sound changes or not it's for a few reasons. 1) I like options 2) I like the more sturdy feel of an XLR vs a single ended termination. (And 4 Pin over 3 Pin for the same reason)

Quote:
Why do you want to go balanced? Frankly speaking I don't see the advantages of going balanced especially with planars. Yes I use my LCDs in balanced mode but that's just because I have the option.

May 26, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #549 of 1,779
Well you're spending a ton of money just to enjoy the sturdy feel of an XLR connection 
biggrin.gif

A balanced amp for dynamics and orthos makes no sense to me, unless the amp has insufficient power in SE mode or you need tons of voltage swing.

For an electrostat amp, yeah balanced is the way to go, unless you can design a good single ended to differential input stage

May 26, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #550 of 1,779
It's not the most logical thing in the world, but if I'm going to stop spending I gotta get it right, ya know?

Everything's gotta look right and of course sound right. If one thing is out of place it would bug me to no end until I eventually spent more money to get it right. lol

Quote:
Well you're spending a ton of money just to enjoy the sturdy feel of an XLR connection 
biggrin.gif

A balanced amp for dynamics and orthos makes no sense to me, unless the amp has insufficient power in SE mode or you need tons of voltage swing.

For an electrostat amp, yeah balanced is the way to go, unless you can design a good single ended to differential input stage

May 27, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #551 of 1,779
If your not content with a minimal setup for your HE500 go for it imo! But dropping that kind of cash onto a system you have never heard is like blind buying a car or any other item for that fact. You may not like it over a simple SE system.

Quote:
It's not the most logical thing in the world, but if I'm going to stop spending I gotta get it right, ya know?

Everything's gotta look right and of course sound right. If one thing is out of place it would bug me to no end until I eventually spent more money to get it right. lol

Quote:

May 27, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #552 of 1,779
Yeah...Blind Buying is tough to justify at that price point, and I think I'll do some reaching out here to see if anyone in the area has some stuff I can listen to, but Blind Buying may be my only option. Return policies are a wonderful thing. 

EDIT: Another reason I'm really interested in the WA22 is the fact it has no MANY options. 3 Pin, 4 Pin, and SE. And I've heard nothing but good things.
Quote:
If your not content with a minimal setup for your HE500 go for it imo! But dropping that kind of cash onto a system you have never heard is like blind buying a car or any other item for that fact. You may not like it over a simple SE system.

May 27, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #553 of 1,779
There is also the E.C.balancing act. It is single, 4pin and 3 pin. Its a little more expensive though.

May 27, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #554 of 1,779
Yeah. I also an not a big fan of the look. I usually like EC stuff but the Balancing Act just looks off to me. 

Those Woo amps are some of the sexiest tubes I've ever seen. I think that's why I keep coming back to them.

Quote:
There is also the E.C.balancing act. It is single, 4pin and 3 pin. Its a little more expensive though.

May 27, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #555 of 1,779
Id have to agree that thw WA22 is damn sexy and the fact you can choose between those headphone inputs is very good flexibility. Woo amps were the first boutique store to really turn my head with the styling etc. In the end you really cant go wrong with buying one if you choose to. Im actually pretty interested in seeing what you come up with as a system Morbid! :wink:

Quote:
Yeah...Blind Buying is tough to justify at that price point, and I think I'll do some reaching out here to see if anyone in the area has some stuff I can listen to, but Blind Buying may be my only option. Return policies are a wonderful thing. 

EDIT: Another reason I'm really interested in the WA22 is the fact it has no MANY options. 3 Pin, 4 Pin, and SE. And I've heard nothing but good things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back