HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 26, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #527 of 1,779
Definitely hear things differently, dont know which sort of music you have tried with them. But they have very good impact with Techno, Dance, Hip Hop etc.

I on the other hand thought the LCD-2 bass over the top. We can argue who thought what all day long, but who cares in the end. If you dont enjoy them dont listen to em. :wink:

Quote:
Well I thought they were bass-impact shy. Yes they have good bass definition and extension. Bass light doesn't mean the headphone don't have bass

May 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #528 of 1,779
Wondering if on topic: Cables

I want a cable that would let me use 3 Pin, 4 Pin, and Single Ended terminations. I know that some places makes swappable terminations like that, but I'm not sure who does it for the HE series. Anyone know?

May 26, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #529 of 1,779

Quote:
Wondering if on topic: Cables

I want a cable that would let me use 3 Pin, 4 Pin, and Single Ended terminations. I know that some places makes swappable terminations like that, but I'm not sure who does it for the HE series. Anyone know?

Well, for starters you need to decide on a balanced replacement cable based on your preferences and equipment synergy.  Once you narrowed that down, my suggestion is to order a custom balanced cable with an XLR4 termination.  Then you can negotiate the price for custom adapters you can use made from the same cable and using the same brand of connectors (preferably).  So you'd need one with an XLR4 female to dual-XLR3 male at the desired length, say 20" or so.  You can also order a similar adapter with a 1/4" TRS male connector, and so on.

This is assuming you're considering purchasing them and not going the DIY-route, in which case you still need to buy the parts.  Moon Audio, and ALO I know made such cables, and probably Whiplash Audio as well.

May 26, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #530 of 1,779

Quote:
Definitely hear things differently, dont know which sort of music you have tried with them. But they have very good impact with Techno, Dance, Hip Hop etc.

I on the other hand thought the LCD-2 bass over the top. We can argue who thought what all day long, but who cares in the end. If you dont enjoy them dont listen to em. :wink:

Well if you thought the LCD-2 had excessive bass we definitely hear things differently. I am not stating my opinion as fact, don't know why some people on this forum can't understand this simple concept.

May 26, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #531 of 1,779
Just kind of looking to be pushed in the right direction right now. 

Might just email ALO and ask about doing this with the HE series cable. 
http://aloaudio.com/audeze-lcd2-universal-headphone-cable-sxc.html

Gonna be awhile, just kinda looking at what I need to ask for.
Quote:
Well, for starters you need to decide on a balanced replacement cable based on your preferences and equipment synergy.  Once you narrowed that down, my suggestion is to order a custom balanced cable with an XLR4 termination.  Then you can negotiate the price for custom adapters you can use made from the same cable and using the same brand of connectors (preferably).  So you'd need one with an XLR4 female to dual-XLR3 male at the desired length, say 20" or so.  You can also order a similar adapter with a 1/4" TRS male connector, and so on.

This is assuming you're considering purchasing them and not going the DIY-route, in which case you still need to buy the parts.  Moon Audio, and ALO I know made such cables, and probably Whiplash Audio as well.

May 26, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #532 of 1,779
Seriously folks the bass impact is a matter of some perspective. I just received my loaner HE500 and compared to the HD800 it seems, after some initial impressions, the HE500 has more impactful bass than the Senn. From listening at the last meet it's less than the LCD2.

Yes a graph can show you if the bass is elevated or rolled off but that isn't the entire story. The perceived bass is also another part. There are some headphones out there that would make the LCD2 sound bass lean. The K-70x make the HE500's bass sound with a lot of slam.

May 26, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #533 of 1,779
For HiFiMAN phones I can recommend DHC. I had nice results with their customizable and reasonably priced OCC Molecule cable. Peter is nice guy with whom you can arrange any kind of cable/adapter deal.

...as for "problematic bass" issues with HE-500 or LCD-2
confused.gif
I can just say: good amp, good amp and good amp.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #534 of 1,779
Wow I really like the looks of those cables. Thanks for that recommendation. 

Quote:
For HiFiMAN phones I can recommend DHC. I had nice results with their customizable and reasonably priced OCC Molecule cable. Peter is nice guy with whom you can arrange any kind of cable/adapter deal.

...as for "problematic bass" issues with HE-500 or LCD-2
confused.gif
I can just say: good amp, good amp and good amp.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #535 of 1,779
I love the bass on these, and perhaps the best I've ever heard. While the Pro 900 had the best impact, the HE-500 has the best "overall quality" bass. The Pro 900 rendered classical, many soundtracks, and mellower tunes nearly unlistenable, especially with drawn out bass from the orchestra or low percussion. The HE-500's bass extends deep, hits with enough satisfaction, and is textured really well. Simply put, I've never wanted less bass and I've never wanted more. Man, I swear they nailed everything in the signature.

May 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #536 of 1,779
I too am getting to this point with the HE 500. I could see them being the headphone that I finally recable and buy a specific amp for. Basically, my end all be all for higher end stuff.

I;m enjoying it that much.

Quote:
I love the bass on these, and perhaps the best I've ever heard. While the Pro 900 had the best impact, the HE-500 has the best "overall quality" bass. The Pro 900 rendered classical, many soundtracks, and mellower tunes nearly unlistenable, especially with drawn out bass from the orchestra or low percussion. The HE-500's bass extends deep, hits with enough satisfaction, and is textured really well. Simply put, I've never wanted less bass and I've never wanted more. Man, I swear they nailed everything in the signature.

May 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #537 of 1,779
Quote:
I too am getting to this point with the HE 500. I could see them being the headphone that I finally recable and buy a specific amp for. Basically, my end all be all for higher end stuff.

I;m enjoying it that much.

Yup, I'll agree. I've got my EF5 for it, so I'm done.

Everything in the sound is just perfect for me. It takes the best aspects of headphones I've had in the past, and throws them all together to make one uber good headphone, and one uber good headphone it is. It's got insane clarity without being treble heavy with sibilance, it's got *the best* midrange I have ever heard, and it's got very high quality bass that just has a great texture to it. And it's not boring; it doesn't put you to sleep like my HD650's did, yet it can do mellow songs with ease. I honestly cannot find any thing I would want to fix or improve. I just cannot stop being impressed by these.

May 26, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #538 of 1,779
Thinking after getting these headphones I'm going to build around them and the chain'll end something like this...

PC > W4S DAC-1 > WA-22 > 4-Pin Balanced > HE 500

The WA-22 is subject to change...but there's something about Woo amps that's always made me want one, and the WA-22 might be it. Although I'll need to hear a few impressions with the pair first, but people seem to like the non OTL woos with the HE 500.

Quote:
Yup, I'll agree. I've got my EF5 for it, so I'm done.

Everything in the sound is just perfect for me. It takes the best aspects of headphones I've had in the past, and throws them all together to make one uber good headphone, and one uber good headphone it is. It's got insane clarity without being treble heavy with sibilance, it's got *the best* midrange I have ever heard, and it's got very high quality bass that just has a great texture to it. And it's not boring; it doesn't put you to sleep like my HD650's did, yet it can do mellow songs with ease. I honestly cannot find any thing I would want to fix or improve. I just cannot stop being impressed by these.

May 26, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #539 of 1,779
That will be one heck of a system!

Didn't see that you were doing a review. I'm looking forward to that. Are you going to compare it to your D7000 / HD598 any? I actually started doing the listening comparisons portion of mine, but I might wait a bit longer until these have some more burn in time, just in case. Good thing I have Bad Company 2 to keep 'em busy, or else I'd have to burn them in without them on my head! Anyway, I think with how amazing my first impressions are, I could just go ahead and proceed with my comparison, but I'll probably wait another week, while doing more listening tests.

May 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #540 of 1,779
And it's possible to to get in all black, it'll be SEXY one too.

Yes. The bulk of the review will be focused on comparison with the D7000. I'll compare them a little to the HD 598, but mainly in sound signature because the HE 500 are just in a different league entirely. 

I find that comparison reviews hit a little closer to home than just talking about a headphone, so I want to do more of them.

EDIT: The more I listen to these the more I notice the D7000s imperfections. 

Quote:
That will be one heck of a system!

Didn't see that you were doing a review. I'm looking forward to that. Are you going to compare it to your D7000 / HD598 any? I actually started doing the listening comparisons portion of mine, but I might wait a bit longer until these have some more burn in time, just in case. Good thing I have Bad Company 2 to keep 'em busy, or else I'd have to burn them in without them on my head! Anyway, I think with how amazing my first impressions are, I could just go ahead and proceed with my comparison, but I'll probably wait another week, while doing more listening tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back