HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 25, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #496 of 1,779
One thing I will say that I respect Skylab opinion on what he hearing and trust his recommendations because of his experience and I find my preferences in line with what he hears so that being said he stil preferred the HE6 and LCD2 over the hE500 but did like it and recommended it. use your own judgement and take advantage of the return policy if it does not fit your objectives.

May 25, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #497 of 1,779

Quote:
You consistently seem to get wrapped up in what other people think about headphones.  While this is a starting point, you have to listen for yourself to decide.  Skylab has offered an opinion.  It may be a considered one, but it still one man's opinion.  Unless you heard the better dynamic & e-stat 'phones as well as other orthos, you can't know whether you might prefer their sound.  Go to a meet.  Listen for yourself.  Form your own opinion.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:

I think Skylab likes the orthos because of the orthos' transparent quality, which is really hard for dynamics to achieve. And I'm on the same boat as him, though I'm more into e-stats.

But I also know another reviewer and a friend who have listened to all top headphones extensively and they puts all dynamics in their top three, because planars just couldn't do some of the things that HD800, T1, or R10 can.

That is indeed one of my favorite things about planars, but I still don't hear anything in the T1 or HD800 that's better than the LCD-2/HE-6/HE-500, other than perhaps a slightly better soundstage.  But again, JMO.

Quote:

Just so that you know Skylab considers the R10 to be his favorite headphone 
biggrin.gif

I agree with Lee on this, Skylab's opinion might be very different from yours or mine. Some people love the D7000s above all others. 
Regarding the R10 and Qualias, Sony could barely sell them. In addition, they lost money on every single unit even at the $3k or $4k price they were asking.

I do slightly prefer the R10 over the LCD-2 - but only very slightly, and not across the board.  And if the R10 were available today, they would be a tough sale at $3-4K, still.

Quote:
One thing I will say that I respect Skylab opinion on what he hearing and trust his recommendations because of his experience and I find my preferences in line with what he hears so that being said he stil preferred the HE6 and LCD2 over the hE500 but did like it and recommended it. use your own judgement and take advantage of the return policy if it does not fit your objectives.

Thanks Frank - indeed, with the return policy, people can fortunately not be taking too huge a risk.

May 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #498 of 1,779
Tyll definitely prefers the HE-500 to the HD800:

May 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #499 of 1,779
:wink: Mine still havent arrived yet, i missed them yesterday due to sleeping from my nightshift. Hopefully Fedex knock a little harder on my front door so i can wake up and play with these today :D

May 25, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #501 of 1,779
The tricky question is: If a recording engineer wanted a headphone, which would you recommend?  That's a tough one.  I'd prefer to listen to the LCD2 with the new pads, then the HE-500, but I might just recommend the HD 800. I think it does edges and detail better; and images better.  The planars rock the boat in bass, though. 

Technically, it's a tough call; subjectively, it's a no brainer .... can I say that? Hm.

May 25, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #502 of 1,779

Quote:
The tricky question is: If a recording engineer wanted a headphone, which would you recommend?  That's a tough one.  I'd prefer to listen to the LCD2 with the new pads, then the HE-500, but I might just recommend the HD 800. I think it does edges and detail better; and images better.  The planars rock the boat in bass, though. 

Technically, it's a tough call; subjectively, it's a no brainer .... can I say that? Hm.

A recording engineer would want a headphone that has a flat response, essentially a neutral headphone. The Beyers might be a good headphone for that purpose. My friend who works at a recording studio uses the DT880.
Don't know if I can say the HD800 has better detail than the LCD or even the HE-6 for that matter. The only thing that it did better was soundstaging which was HUGE.

May 25, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #503 of 1,779

Quote:
A recording engineer would want a headphone that has a flat response, essentially a neutral headphone. The Beyers might be a good headphone for that purpose. My friend who works at a recording studio uses the DT880.
Don't know if I can say the HD800 has better detail than the LCD or even the HE-6 for that matter. The only thing that it did better was soundstaging which was HUGE.

I'd say the 880 was over-detailed ... false detail. And I'm of the opinion that getting the transient and micro detail right goes a long way toward good imaging ... but I'm sure the driver position and more planar wavefront on the HD800 are big factors as well. Yes, the imaging on the HD800 is stellar.

May 25, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #504 of 1,779

Quote:
I'd say the 880 was over-detailed ... false detail. And I'm of the opinion that getting the transient and micro detail right goes a long way toward good imaging ... but I'm sure the driver position and more planar wavefront on the HD800 are big factors as well. Yes, the imaging on the HD800 is stellar.

Yah, I agree.  Here's the deal.  It seems that in the mastering booth, folks like monitor speakers that are over detailed to catch faults in the recording.  Unfortunately, this can lead to seeing the trees instead of the forest, IMHO.

May 25, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #506 of 1,779

Quote:
Tyll definitely prefers the HE-500 to the HD800:

Great review, Tyll.  I'm not sure what your source and amplification is.  I agree with pretty much all of your characterizations, although I'd venture to say that the stock cables--as is the case on almost any headphones--are a limiting factor in both the HE-6 and HE-500 applications, though at least the HE-6 comes with a balanced set.

In terms of amplification, I'm awaiting the new Ray Samuels Audio Dark Star for home, but the SR71B balanced portable amp drives both of them via a custom adapter with sufficient power for my taste.

Keep up the good work!

May 25, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #507 of 1,779

You're probably right. Some people prefer the RS-1 to the PS-1000 but I thought otherwise.

Just so that you know Skylab considers the R10 to be his favorite headphone 
biggrin.gif

I agree with Lee on this, Skylab's opinion might be very different from yours or mine. Some people love the D7000s above all others. 
Regarding the R10 and Qualias, Sony could barely sell them. In addition, they lost money on every single unit even at the $3k or $4k price they were asking.

I am definitely one of those people. :D I still don't get the PS/GS1000s. Although the PS1000 is clearly a better headphone IMO than the GS1000.

May 25, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #508 of 1,779

Quote:
Yah, I agree.  Here's the deal.  It seems that in the mastering booth, folks like monitor speakers that are over detailed to catch faults in the recording.  Unfortunately, this can lead to seeing the trees instead of the forest, IMHO.

Yup he's got a pair of monitor speakers as well 
biggrin.gif
. I personally did not like the DT880.

May 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #509 of 1,779

Users who are viewing this thread

Back