HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #481 of 1,779
There is no greatest headphone however the R10 and Qualia ARE FAR better than any headphone that is currently manufactured. Nothing comes close to the sound they can reproduce IMO.

And their cost (if you can find one)? The HE-90 kicks A too but for a working man, the 500s are attainable with no special needs.

May 24, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #482 of 1,779

Quote:
Quote:
There is no greatest headphone however the R10 and Qualia ARE FAR better than any headphone that is currently manufactured. Nothing comes close to the sound they can reproduce IMO.

And their cost (if you can find one)? The HE-90 kicks A too but for a working man, the 500s are attainable with no special needs.

Yes ofcourse cost non-withstanding. I'm not saying they're practical. Haven't heard the HE-90 but I'm sure that's awesome as well.

May 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #483 of 1,779

Quote:
Quote:
You think the HE-500 is FAR from the greatest headphone? I'm curious to see what you think is even remotely close.

Not the greatest? Maybe. Far from it...I'd debate that. I think at this level it's completely subjective. They could very well be the best headphones for someone, just not you.

Listen to them before making the comment 
biggrin.gif
 and debating. They are in a league by themselves and it's pretty widely accepted.

May 25, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #487 of 1,779
They are probably in the top-10 of currently made headphones.  That's a strong statement given the field.  Calling them the greatest headphones ever is hyperbole to be sure.

May 25, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #488 of 1,779
Quote:
Being content with one's own setup is what matters most 
biggrin.gif
. Enjoy

Thanks, I hope I stay this way too!

Quote:
They are probably in the top-10 of currently made headphones.  That's a strong statement given the field.  Calling them the greatest headphones ever is hyperbole to be sure.

Exclude electrostatics and they might be in the top 5.
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #489 of 1,779

Quote:
Thanks, I hope I stay this way too!

Exclude electrostatics and they might be in the top 5.
biggrin.gif

Hmm...well you have the ED 10 and 8, HD800, T1, LCD-2, HE-6, Grado PS1000/GS-1000. I think they fall out of the top 5 but definitely top 10. Electrostatics haven't rocked my boat so far but might if I have a longer listening session with them.

May 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #490 of 1,779
Quote:
Hmm...well you have the ED 10 and 8, HD800, T1, LCD-2, HE-6, Grado PS1000/GS-1000. I think they fall out of the top 5 but definitely top 10. Electrostatics haven't rocked my boat so far but might if I have a longer listening session with them.

SkyLab mentioned he finds the HE-500, HE-6, and LCD-2 superior to any dynamic headphone available; including all that you have mentioned. Yeah, I know it's just one man, but having him heard many of the headphones on this planet and being as experienced as him, I would definitely believe his statement. I would suspect orthos have a big advantage over dynamics even though they cost a whole lot cheaper.

May 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #491 of 1,779
Top 10 sounds more like it seeing as there are a fair few running for the top 5 numbers. I wouldnt say the PS1000/GS1000 are up there. Replace with the PS-1 and HP-1/2
very_evil_smiley.gif

There are definitely alot of contenders, but it comes down to your own set of ears and what you like. Price to Quality i think the HE range and LCD-2 are hard to pass up.

Quote:

May 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #492 of 1,779
Yeah, I thought the top 5 would just be the battle of orthos! But I guess it's who you are and what you like.

I'm just wondering why the Qualia (I hope I spelled that right) and the R10 aren't being made anymroe. Too expensive?

May 25, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #493 of 1,779

Quote:
SkyLab mentioned he finds the HE-500, HE-6, and LCD-2 superior to any dynamic headphone available; including all that you have mentioned. Yeah, I know it's just one man, but having him heard many of the headphones on this planet and being as experienced as him, I would definitely believe his statement. I would suspect orthos have a big advantage over dynamics even though they cost a whole lot cheaper.

You consistently seem to get wrapped up in what other people think about headphones.  While this is a starting point, you have to listen for yourself to decide.  Skylab has offered an opinion.  It may be a considered one, but it still one man's opinion.  Unless you heard the better dynamic & e-stat 'phones as well as other orthos, you can't know whether you might prefer their sound.  Go to a meet.  Listen for yourself.  Form your own opinion.

May 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #494 of 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not as simple as that. A lot of times you sacrifice some of dynamics' texturing, soundstage shape, and high-low extension in order to get better transients, transparency, and clarity by going planar.

I think Skylab likes the orthos because of the orthos' transparent quality, which is really hard for dynamics to achieve. And I'm on the same boat as him, though I'm more into e-stats.

But I also know another reviewer and a friend who have listened to all top headphones extensively and they puts all dynamics in their top three, because planars just couldn't do some of the things that HD800, T1, or R10 can.

May 25, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #495 of 1,779

You're probably right. Some people prefer the RS-1 to the PS-1000 but I thought otherwise.

Quote:
Top 10 sounds more like it seeing as there are a fair few running for the top 5 numbers. I wouldnt say the PS1000/GS1000 are up there. Replace with the PS-1 and HP-1/2 
very_evil_smiley.gif

There are definitely alot of contenders, but it comes down to your own set of ears and what you like. Price to Quality i think the HE range and LCD-2 are hard to pass up.

Just so that you know Skylab considers the R10 to be his favorite headphone 
biggrin.gif

I agree with Lee on this, Skylab's opinion might be very different from yours or mine. Some people love the D7000s above all others. 
Regarding the R10 and Qualias, Sony could barely sell them. In addition, they lost money on every single unit even at the $3k or $4k price they were asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back