HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
May 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #451 of 1,779
Hence, the HE-7? We are looking at the best headphone in the world.
tongue_smile.gif

May 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #452 of 1,779
Quote:
Hence, the HE-7? We are looking at the best headphone in the world.
tongue_smile.gif

If you've got a pair of 1KW monoblocks to power it...

May 23, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #455 of 1,779
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the RSA Dark Star will handle pretty much anything in the foreseeable future..:)

Just wait 'til Fang starts with the depleted uranium traces.  Next thing you know we'll need the voltage swing of a 'stat amp with the current delivery of a bank of truck batteries across a crowbar.  
wink_face.gif

May 23, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #456 of 1,779
congrats! looking forward to read your impressions. out of all the HE-500 that have shipped so far yours must be the most precious one. :wink:

my guess is that Fang's next step is to tackle low end market. Maybe a HE-4 version of the HE-500. either single magnet on each side or smaller drivers. it will be priced around $250. 
the next hi-end headphone from them will be electrostatic. Remember the chief designer of all the HE headphones is the one who designed the famous Jade electrostatic headphone. It's just a matter of time, but i doubt it will any time soon though. that's a good thing, because i need time to save money. :)
EF6 is the thing i am really excited about. According to Fang it's going to change what ppl think of HE-6 now.
and Schiit is releasing new DACs.
too many new toys, too little money :)

Quote:
Thank goodness these finally arrived! I'll leave some impressions later tonight or tomorrow.

May 23, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #457 of 1,779
Quote:
congrats! looking forward to read your impressions. out of all the HE-500 that have shipped so far yours must be the most precious one. :wink:

my guess is that Fang's next step is to tackle low end market. Maybe a HE-4 version of the HE-500. either single magnet on each side or smaller drivers. it will be priced around $250. 
the next hi-end headphone from them will be electrostatic. Remember the chief designer of all the HE headphones is the one who designed the famous Jade electrostatic headphone. It's just a matter of time, but i doubt it will any time soon though. that's a good thing, because i need time to save money. :)
EF6 is the thing i am really excited about. According to Fang it's going to change what ppl think of HE-6 now.
and Schiit is releasing new DACs.
too many new toys, too little money :)

Oh great, I have to get an EF6 now? Well, until then, I sit here and enjoy my magnificent combo I have now. Did I say it's magnificent? The HE-500 is doing the impossible.

May 23, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #458 of 1,779
no, you don't. EF6 is really designed for HE-6. EF5 is perfect for HE-500. I actually really like the EF5/HE-500 combo, more than the Lyr/HE-500.
Quote:
Oh great, I have to get an EF6 now? Well, until then, I sit here and enjoy my magnificent combo I have now. Did I say it's magnificent? The HE-500 is doing the impossible.

May 23, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #459 of 1,779
Quote:
no, you don't. EF6 is really designed for HE-6. EF5 is perfect for HE-500. I actually like the EF5/HE-500 combo more than Lyr/HE-500.

Okay, that's great to hear! I suspected the HE-500 wouldn't need some massive device to sound even better, like the HE-6 would need. I should stop thinking of upgrades and just stay where I'm at. But I'm glad to hear your input regarding the Lyr, as that is the only other amp I've wondered about with the HE-500. But as of now, I think I'm good. For a very, very long time. And even with my portable rig, I'm completely satisfied.

May 23, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #460 of 1,779

Quote:
Okay, that's great to hear! I suspected the HE-500 wouldn't need some massive device to sound even better, like the HE-6 would need. I should stop thinking of upgrades and just stay where I'm at. But I'm glad to hear your input regarding the Lyr, as that is the only other amp I've wondered about with the HE-500. But as of now, I think I'm good. For a very, very long time. And even with my portable rig, I'm completely satisfied.

I preferred the Lyr to the EF-5 for the HE-500 but it was just a matter of personal preference. Both are good budget amps that do a decent job at driving the HE-500.

May 23, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #463 of 1,779
the mids is the reason why i like my HE-500 with EF5 (TJ Full Music tube). To my ears EF5 brings a special flavor which makes the already gorgeous (arguably the best) mids of HE-500 even better. I listen to a lot of female vocal jazz, so that little flavor sometimes is everything. i don't mind losing some detail or punch to gain a little more emotion. :)

Lyr is superb with my HE-6. I just didn't see any significant improvement with HE-500 when switched from EF5 to Lyr. I couldn't agree with brasewel more that it's really just a matter of personal preference. 

May 23, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #464 of 1,779
Quote:
the mids is the reason why i like my HE-500 with EF5 (TJ Full Music tube). To my ears EF5 brings a special flavor which makes the already gorgeous (arguably the best) mids of HE-500 even better. I listen to a lot of female vocal jazz, so that little flavor sometimes is everything. i don't mind losing some detail or punch to gain a little more emotion. :)

Lyr is superb with my HE-6. I just didn't see any significant improvement with HE-500 when switched from EF5 to Lyr. I couldn't agree with brasewel more that it's really just a matter of personal preference. 

What is the stock tube that comes on the newer EF5's? How does the TJ Full Music tube compare to stock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back