Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jan 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #166 of 3,507
Quote:
Do these come with extra filters? Try placing one on top of another, surely helps the RE0/Zero, evens it out and less sibilant.

Couldn't tell you.  Mine was a sample that was sent like bulk (no box).  I'm unsure what the headphones will ship with specifically.  We'll find out when someone who pre-ordered gets theirs I guess.  

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #167 of 3,507
Comparisons with the MEE A161.  Differences really are between signature types, the A161 being warm and sweet with a nice smoothness to it while the RE-400s are a little leaner, but more energetic.  I updated my original comparisons to include the ones below.

HiFiMan RE-400
  1. Price (MSRP): $ 100
  2. Driver: Single Dynamic
  3. Signature: Analytic, Neutral

MEElectronics A161p
  1. Price (MSRP): $100
  2. Driver: Single Balanced Armature
  3. Signature: Sweet

Round 4: RE-400 vs A161p

The MEE A161p and RE-400s differ in signature a little bit.  THe A161s are a sweeter sound while the RE-400s focus on being more neutral.  They have their ups and downs, and signature differences do stand out.

Down low, the A161s show a bit more bass presence while being able to do a few things a little better.  The first, is that the texturing seems a little more dynamic, despite using BAs.  It seems to have a little more depth and body behind it.  The lower bass impacts run much stronger with the A161s as well.  They keep the tightness than the RE-400s have though.  With the low-end, it’s really a one sided battle.

The midrange differences are big, however.  The MEEs sound a lot warmer than the RE-400s in comparison.  Despite all of it though, the RE-400s show they do a better job with detail retrieval while both can detail amply.  Clarity in the upper range is also taken by the RE-400 slightly.  Where the RE-400s continue taking the upper hand with vocal energy and lift in the upper-ranges.  The MEEs have a smoother sound, but also have a nice bit of lushness and vocal depth to them.  

The highs are really where the A161s fell short.  The lower treble was fine for both concerning detailing and presence; they are both actually very similar regarding quantity here.  However, that’s where the similarities end.  The RE-400 still does extension better in the lower and upper treble while providing quite a bit more sparkle and energy.  They can be a bit more sibilant though.

Between the A161 and the RE-400, the 400s would technically be better, but only by the slightest of margins.  I really wouldn’t count either one out, they are both very strong IEMs.  If you do need the thickness and strength in your bass, but kept at an accurate level, the A161 would still be my suggestion.  If you want mids and treble, the 400s are just small step up.

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #168 of 3,507
A lot of people are asking about these earphones in comparison to the RE-262. Now i do not own the 262 and i never have but i have been fortunate enough to once audition it for a while with my portable rig at the time. Although this will not be too through because of acting of memory, i think it should let you know a little between the two until some one can directly compare which i am sure will be shortly.

Starting at the bass i will say that i have to say that i think that these two are surprisingly similar. Both not offering the best deep extension or low bass texturing but still having just a little presence in the area. The mid-bass is also rather small and fairly fast on both of them.

Mids is the first difference and obviously the 262 are know mid centric IEMs. Now the 400 are far from recessed or lacking in anyways in the mids, in fact i love and would never complain about the presences that the 400 brings but the 262 have a lot more presence, energy and dynamics in the midrange. From memory i think, and stress the word think, that the 400 may have better detail retrieval but don't take my word for that.

The treble is more present on the more analytical of the two, the 400. It is a bit more zipppy and sparkly and i also if my memory serves me well say that the 400 has better extension. This may be to do with the boosted mids of the 262 making me feel like the 262 had a 'more subdued' treble that the 400 do.

Soundstage is gorgeous and expansive on the 262 and i would say that the 400s is also rather impressive, certainly in width, i think to expand on this i would need to do a direct comparison.

The two are clearly from the same breed even if they do take on two rather different sound signatures, the 262 all about the midrange and the 400 a lot more neutral giving of a analytical sound, much like the 272 is touted to do. I can not say which, if any, is technically better and this was more just to help in comparing the sound signatures. I hope to perhaps audition the 262 again soon and bring a direct comparison but i am sure if not some one else will but for now that will have to do! :)

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #172 of 3,507
Helpful comparisons Tinyman392 and Swimsonny - thanks.

I look forward to more impressions as they come through.

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #175 of 3,507
I am going to be honest and say that i have never really heard any sibilance with these. maybe its because i listen to them at a particularly low volume or the sources i use. Just suggestions. I would say that these have not actually changed that much, maybe i am getting a touch more bass impact but could well be my head. I am loving these though.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #178 of 3,507

Users who are viewing this thread

Back