Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #3,376 of 3,507
Hi all! Is there anyone with RE400's in Bangalore, India? Because I need help, desperately! I want to know if recabling them has changed their sound?

Here's my story. I bought the RE400 about 3 years back. I was very happy with the way they sounded. But no more than 6 months of usage and the sheath of the cable started breaking off, leaving the wires exposed. I had reason to believe that it was my error, because a couple of times they got pulled as a result of getting caught in my chair's crevices. HiFiNage.com, the people from whom I bought them were super awesome, and got them replaced in a breeze.

In a couple of months, I bought my next new shiny toy, the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition. For about 6 months I had completely forgotten about the RE400s. I had stowed them away in the carry case, after wrapping them up carefully. One day, I decide to take them out. Lo and behold, the plastic sheathing on the cables had turned brittle and cracked near the y-split and near the ear pieces! I was out of warranty too. I kept using it for a few more months, but soon enough the sheath started coming off, leaving the wires exposed.

Worst part was that the GR07's weren't any better. They had the same brittle sheath issue. Both the RE400s and the GR07s were so good sounding, but not so cheap enough for me to just throw them away. So, I bit the bullet and took Vesper Audio's help to get them recabled, although it cost more than getting them anew again.

VA were super helpful and got them recabled the way I wanted them to be. The recabling is done amazingly well, and the quality of the cable and the plug are top notch. It's rugged and inspires real confidence. Both phones look like lifestyle products now (see pic here: https://imgur.com/gallery/t26QjIQ although the picture don't do justice to how good they look).

VA told me that the type of wires that I chose for them would make them sound slightly warm and smooth. And indeed, when I tested out the recabled GR07 BEs, that was exactly what I felt. In fact, I felt that it was a good thing, because I used to find the sibilance peak to be off putting. But with the RE400's I feel that the change in sound is more drastic. It feels duller and muffled. The tone feels tilted backward. I feel that it has lost its charming sparkle, almost lifeless.

But here's the thing. I've been listening to another full-sized can (Philips SHP9500S) for a few months now. While it has great tonal balance, it is quite a bright sounding can, and at times even overenthusiastic. So, I'm confused if it is the effect of listening to these for such a long time that I'm feeling that the RE400's are now dull, or has the recabling changed their sound?

I don't want to pass judgment on the cables so soon, because I know very well that getting adjusted to different sound signatures can take time. However, I've been listening to the RE400's for a good month now, and I feel that they just don't sound the same anymore. In short, I'm pulling my hairs right now!

So, if there's anyone from Bangalore (India) having the RE400's, I would like to meet up to compare my recabled ones with them. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!
I recently came back to my RE400 after 8+ months of non-use, having been using a Xiaomi Pro HD daily, and I was shocked at how foreign this IEM that I used to love sounded to me.

It's very possible that you brain just "forgot" what they sounded like. Add to that that you're preferred sound sig may have changed without you realizing it.

Jul 7, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #3,377 of 3,507
I recently came back to my RE400 after 8+ months of non-use, having been using a Xiaomi Pro HD daily, and I was shocked at how foreign this IEM that I used to love sounded to me.

It's very possible that you brain just "forgot" what they sounded like. Add to that that you're preferred sound sig may have changed without you realizing it.

And that right there, that's what we call "burn-in" folks. Our perceptions and perspectives are far more malleable than what we realise or are often willing to accept.

Jul 8, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #3,378 of 3,507

Indeed, that is why I don't want to pass judgment so soon. I'll give it a few more months. Would be nice, however, if I can find someone near me who owns them.

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #3,379 of 3,507

How do they compare? I have been using multiple pairs of RE400 for the last 4 years since the cable always broke, but I couldnt find anything similar with a smoot flat response.
Now Hifiman finally released an updated version with update cable and to be honest I havent had any trouble since. But since these Xiaomi retails for what, 30$, I might just grab them anyway.[/QUOTE]

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #3,380 of 3,507
How do they compare? I have been using multiple pairs of RE400 for the last 4 years since the cable always broke, but I couldnt find anything similar with a smoot flat response.
Now Hifiman finally released an updated version with update cable and to be honest I havent had any trouble since. But since these Xiaomi retails for what, 30$, I might just grab them anyway.
The Xiaomi is far, far from neutral. You should look elsewhere if that's your goal.

The Tin Audio T2 is what you want.

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #3,381 of 3,507
so all of a sudden my re400 cable just broke off in pieces.

the wiring is still intact but probably not for long

but i did have them for 5 years of babying and infrequent uses.

but darn it they smooth and neutral. i like that dry slightly slightly warm mids

Aug 18, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #3,382 of 3,507
so all of a sudden my re400 cable just broke off in pieces.

the wiring is still intact but probably not for long

but i did have them for 5 years of babying and infrequent uses.

but darn it they smooth and neutral. i like that dry slightly slightly warm mids

BTG audio recabled my re600 and did an amazing job. I know he doesn't respond quickly and sometimes takes a few months to complete a job, but he does great work.
aK4tPCgvTdKdNZJb0yXkvg.jpg
1JyEDKF0TYyVcGU+ojt1Kw.jpg
YRfLXgeASgqsM6m4ZnJutg.jpg

Oct 6, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #3,383 of 3,507
Still in love with the RE400 that I bought recently to replace my dying Phonak PFE 012. Great sounding iems, I posted a detailed feedback here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-re-400-review.651419/page-21#post-14508464

I don't think I've heard anything as neutral under $1,000 (I'm taking about headphones in general), except for my beloved Sony CD900ST that sounds very similar based on my memory (unfortunately the cable is broken now). The RE400 is like an iem version of the Sony with maybe slightly more resolution and speed.

Everyone time you throw a new track at the RE400 it feels like revisiting the song as it was intended to be played in the first place. That's my definition of HiFi.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #3,385 of 3,507
It is possible. Hifiman's trrs pinout is the most logical one. R and L are matching regular stereo trs standart and negative contact splits remaining (long) trs contact into two. So your galaxy note simply shorts sleeve to next ring with it's negative contact and proper regular trs temination happens.

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #3,386 of 3,507
It is possible. Hifiman's trrs pinout is the most logical one. R and L are matching regular stereo trs standart and negative contact splits remaining (long) trs contact into two. So your galaxy note simply shorts sleeve to next ring with it's negative contact and proper regular trs temination happens.

I see. That was a nice surprise really as I was planning to use the RE600 with their TRRS connector with my ZX2 and the adaptor+RE600 with my phone.
It seems I won't be using the provided adaptor at all!

Thanks for the insight!

Dec 1, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #3,388 of 3,507
Well, to be honest it occurs with minority (or even with rare) trs sockets. So your case is more like an exception. Blind luck)
Probably that's the case with all Samsung devices?

If I understand correctly, Note 8's socket should be a TRRS one too as there's a ring for a headset's microphone obviously.It seems though it's more of a ''smart'' socket that recognises different pin layouts.
Lucky me :)

Dec 22, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #3,389 of 3,507
Note for myself: the RE400s need to be amped properly to deliver that effortless sound that i loved at first. I totally forgot how good they can sound then since i mostly use them directly out of my iPhone 6s, but even the modest fiio e5 seems to make a difference. I'm in love again, can't believe these are dynamic drivers under the hood.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #3,390 of 3,507
20181218_213824.jpg
Note for myself: the RE400s need to be amped properly to deliver that effortless sound that i loved at first. I totally forgot how good they can sound then since i mostly use them directly out of my iPhone 6s, but even the modest fiio e5 seems to make a difference. I'm in love again, can't believe these are dynamic drivers under the hood.
The re600 are my longest running IEMs. Had them for over 5 years now because of their wonderful balanced sound. I would only use them amped either with the flip E12A or VorzAmp Pure II. Finally got an balanced adapter to 2.5 mm, got to rediscover them all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back